Having trouble finding Flank Steak....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand why different areas don't have certain cuts of meat readily available...I mean a cow is a cow right?? So why is any different in availability when they butcher for store shelves?

Probably for the same reason Suzi mentioned, if it doesn't sell, they won't carry it. I suppose things were different when butchers actually butchered their own beef and ordered it in by the side. Then they would have those cuts of meat if they didn't turn them into hamburger, but now more and more "butchers" order their meats in.

That said, I visted my local town grocery and they didn't even have LBs in the case, and certainly nothing labeled flank or skirt. They did have some NY strip loins for 2.99/lb and delmonico loins for 3.99/lb :ohmy: The delmonicos were labeled select, I could not find anything but the inspection stamp on the strips.

Thank you Pacanis for you answer, I appreciate it:)
I wasn't aware that they order only certain pre cut meat....I don't know why but I assumed they had a butcher and they butchered and packaged their own meat in the back from a side of beef, I guess I was wrong!:blush:

LOL that was my first thought UB!!!!

Is there a site with a graph or something of what beef comes from what part, ALL it's "regional" titles, and what's best for what cooking method???
Off the top of your head anyway.... I'd search but I have meatballs on the stove...

Miss Suzi..Off the Top of My head the only thing I can come up with on the spur of the moment is...A Steer is divided in to three distinct parts....The front part is made for roping, The rear part is made for branding...the middle part is made for grillin.:ermm: The roping end, and the branding end is best suited to slow, moist cooking methods for the most part!! :LOL:

Regional names?? That would make an interesting book! So many different regions....then so many different names within a region...not to mention the differences in the Mediterranean style of butchering, and the English style...:wacko:

This will help a lot!! Find the best meat market in your area...Get to know the Mkt Mgr. Ask questions...Most will be pleased, and flattered that you consult them...(If not...Find another meat market) Over time you can build a customer friendly realtonship to your advantage. An occassional making of brownies or cookies for the crew works wonders...Next time in if you ask for a couple of nice rib-eyes...I guarantee you will get the best ones in the house!! ;)

Suze, do you ask the meat manager to get you some? The are usually very accommodating. Also, stores often have stuff in stock that's not out in the display case. So it pays to ask.
It is always worth asking the meat manager. A lot of cheaper cuts have been relabled as something else, and/or cut slightly different to raise the price. The Costco where I trade does not carry these cuts, and the "butchers" are really meat wrappers, who I do not find very accommodiating. Some of the larger stores have an actual butcher around who can help you. Flank steak is sometimes labelled as London Broil.

It's always suprised me how few "butchers" there are here, even being in the midwest....
I remember when I was growing up in the Bronx.... we had 2 or 3 we could walk to, not counting the ones in the grocery store were all full service....
Honestly, the last time I looked for a butcher here to find out about a pig roast..... it was miserable.
I honestly don't get it.
We have one about 5 miles away I have yet to check out.... but always meant to... because he offered to do a last minute pig roast on a Labor Day weekend with 2 days' notice.... we just felt bad making him cancel his plans so we decided no.
:)

For whoever asked:

beefcut2.gif

I was going to say the same thing BigJim! Wholy moly!

Hey Jeeks, I'll trade you some 2.99 NY strip loins (lol)

Oh, and I like the idea of double naming the cut. That way you know exactly what you are getting and not something "regionally known" as skirt steak.

(shrugs his shoulders) What am I supposed to do? Gotta eat, right?

BTW - Ribeyes are $13-15 per pound.

Ribeyes are usually around 9-13 here, depending on what store and if they're on sale.

I used to get flank steak for 10 cents a pound...I'm old, eh? It's oblique muscles...two layers, with the grain running in two different directions. I cut each side across the grain, halfway through, about 3/4 inch apart. Mom used to do it that way, then chicken fry it or roll and stuff it, or cook it until it started to come apart for pepper steak. It's easy to find here in SoCal, and fresher and cheaper in a carniciera than in a supermarket.

squzie, you could try looking in the meat section of asian markets. i've found they have a wider selection of cuts, especially for cuts like flank, hanger, skirt, and so on. also, they seem to have a lot more fat content in all of their cuts, which of course gives them more flavor.

umm, i guess you should ask for frank... :cool:

Finally found some flank steak here!! On sale for $5.99lb! I may just have to get some, its been years since Ive had it!! : (
Still would rather have skirt steak.....but cant find it anywhere!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom