"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
London Broil is not a cut. It is a dish. You can use many different cuts to cook London Broil.
Yes, but like Amy said, that is what is on the label. I could ask someone to pick me up a "London Broil" and they would come back from the stores around me with a big, thick looking steak.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I have one in the freezer, I'll try to get a pic when I get home. IIRC, it says "Beef Diaphragm". I'll post it later. Blew my mind the first time I saw it too. It's one of my most favorite cuts. I saw some places call it "Plate Steak".

Edit: It comes in a loooong strip with the grain running cross-wise. You need to slice it across the grain. Since it's so long, and I don't have a sword at home, I just cut it in half and slice each piece seperately. It's much easier to handle that way.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yes, but like Amy said, that is what is on the label. I could ask someone to pick me up a "London Broil" and they would come back from the stores around me with a big, thick looking steak.
Right, so i am replying to your question where you asked if they are the exact same cut. they are not because london Broil is not a cut. A store could label flank as London broil today. Tomorrow they could label round as London Broil.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Right, so i am replying to your question where you asked if they are the exact same cut. they are not because london Broil is not a cut. A store could label flank as London broil today. Tomorrow they could label round as London Broil.
Exactly right. Markets sell flank steak labelling it as London Broil. London Broil is actually a cooking method, but not the cut of beef.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #25
Executive Chef

so what is their reason for labelling different cuts all "London Broil"? To get people to eat/try different cuts?

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess the question would be too hard for anyone to answer without seeing the cut of meat.
Wherever Amy is from apparently labels flank steaks "London Broil". I was merely wondering if that would be common practice enough so that if I bought a piece of beef here labeled London Broil, it would always be the flank steak and not a skirt or something different.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

While I understand flank steak is sometimes labeled London broil, I have to say you shouldn't rely on that. Here in MA, the only cut I have ever seen labeled as LB is a shoulder steak. Nothing like a flank steak at all.

I'm sure there are regional differences. There are cuts of steak common in CA that do not exist in MA. Also, the same cut of meat will be named differently in different parts of the country. e.g. what some know as a flat iron steak is sold as a blade steak around here.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Andy. That is exactly what I was trying to ask.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While I understand flank steak is sometimes labeled London broil, I have to say you shouldn't rely on that. Here in MA, the only cut I have ever seen labeled as LB is a shoulder steak. Nothing like a flank steak at all.

I'm sure there are regional differences. There are cuts of steak common in CA that do not exist in MA. Also, the same cut of meat will be named differently in different parts of the country. e.g. what some know as a flat iron steak is sold as a blade steak around here.
Yup. Tri-tip and fresh brisket cannot be found in anyplace other than a butcher around me. I cant even get decent beef short ribs. Whereas, other states it's stocked on the shelves 365 days a year.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
You'd think the cheaper cuts would be easier to find with the economy the way it is.....
Anyway... I have 1 more store to check but nobody seems to have them. Can I use another cut, similar?
There are a few Guy Fieri recipes I want to try with it.... mostly braised I believe.
If you cannot find any of the afore mentioned cuts of beef for your recipes...Uncle Bob suggest; For braising recipes...Top Round steak...For recipes calling for "Get Down Get Funky" hot and fast recipes...Top Sirloin.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None