"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Master Chef

Grandma Snarr's Pot Roast

I've posted this before, but I just did a search and it didn't come up. My Grandma Snarr made the best pot roast I ever tasted. She taught her daughters and her grandaughter (me).

GRANDMA SNARR’S POT ROAST

Chuck roast or any pot roast)
Canola oil (Grandma used Crisco and maybe a little bacon grease)
Flour
Salt & pepper
Water
Carrots
Russet potatoes
Celery (opt)
Onion (opt)

There are no amounts given on the ingredients, as that is up to you.
The most important part of this recipe is searing the meat. It must be done at a high temperature, and, as grandma said, you have to “burn the meat”. You know it’s right when the smoke detector goes off. You don't actually burn the meat...you just want a good dark crust on the outside. That's what makes the gravy so good.

Salt and pepper the meat. Season the flour (about 1 ½ cups), and dredge the meat in it.
Heat heavy Dutch oven on high heat, add enough oil to cover bottom of skillet, and add meat. Lower the heat just a tiny bit, then let meat brown, uncovered, without turning until it’s very dark brown, like a chocolate roux. It's OK if there are a few black edges. Turn meat and let it brown on the other side.
Add about 2 cups off water, turn heat down to med/low, and place meat on trivet if you have one. Cover and let cook until meat is tender, but not falling apart. Lift up meat and put vegetables on the bottom, then re-cover and let simmer until they are tender.
Remove meat from pot, place on platter and keep warm. Spoon out vegetables, and put in a separate serving bowl. Remove trivet. Estimate how much liquid you have in the pan, and make a slurry out of one tablespoon of flour and one tablespoon of water for each cup of drippings. Whisk into liquid in pan, turn heat up to medium high, and cook until thickened. Adjust seasoning, and pour into gravy boat.

*Note: with a roast as lean as yours, I would add a little bacon grease to the canola oil...it will provide a little fat to improve the flavor.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I will add that rump roast makes a WONderful sauerbraten! Undoubtedly the best cut for it in my opinion. I need to make some now that the weather is cooling 'way down.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Yes!!

That same cut of meat can also be used to make Sauerbraten.

Also, if you are unable to, or don't want to buy this cut of meat or a pot roast, you can also get away with the exact same great results by using a Beef Chuck
7-bone pot roast or a Beef Chuck 7-bone Steak.

Same great idea and taste, except the meat is flatter and smaller by comparison. You will nbeed a wider pot however, to accommodate the meat.

~Corey123.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I'm cooking a bottom rump roast today!

And I'm going to cook it as I would a pot roast. And slow braise it on the stove in my 5-qt. cast iron kettle. It should come out very luscious & tasty!!

~Corey123.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Sounds good Corey.. a friend used to make it that
way and it was always tender. I'll have to try it
since I moved too far away to run over to my friends
for Sunday dinner!
Old 10-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thank you!!

Actually, to give the roast more room to "breathe", I ended up slow braising it in my Rachael Ray 8-qt. Anodized Oval Stock pot. It (roast) was bigger than I had anticipated!

But nonetheless, it still came out moist and tender. When the meat was browned I sauted some aromatic veggies in the same fat, added the meat back to the pot with some water 1/3 the way up, added a bouquet garni, brought the liquid up to a rolling boil, then turned it down to just barely a mere simmer.

I meant to add a can of beef consume`, but forgot about it. But the meat was still a big hit!! When the meat was done, I made a brown roux and added it to the liquid to thicken it slightly. I adjusted the seasonings, and boy, you wanna talk about something good?!!

My dear friend who is a recovering alcoholic came over to spend this past weekend with me. He was hungry, so I fixed him a plate of the meat. We both tried to put a big dent in that meat.

We ate off of it three or more times, and there's STILL some of it left!!! He's coming back over today. Hopefully, we can eat up the rest of it. But I think it's the best one that I cooked so far!! My friend loves it!! He wants me to do one for HIM someday!

!Corey123.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Corey, made you recipe posted here for bottom round and it was soooo tender. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Just to add my opinion on braising, the liquid should come about half way up the side of the roast/meat. Another technique that helps to cook it well and also concentrate the braising liquid is to crumple some parchment paper and put it in contact across the top of the meat and then put the lid on--a kind of double covering for the roast. The pot should be only slightly larger than the piece that is braising also.
Braised meat is often difficult to get into nice slices but a sharp knife is best (as usual) and cutting straight down.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #19
Master Chef

I didn't like the look of the chuck roasts at the store so I went ahead and bought a bottom round and made Beef Bourguignon with it on Sunday. I marinated it in a bottle of wine for 24 hours and it was delicious.

It'll be even better for lunch today
Old 11-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppe2
Corey, made your recipe posted here for bottom round and it was soooo tender. Thanks.

You're welcome!!

So glad that you enjoyed it! Makes a great elcheapo Sunday dinner with veggies, rice or mashed potatoes!!

Tags
None