Help cooking Corned Beef/Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I woke up craving a Reuben at 2am so I picked up a 3# brisket. Says just to boil it for 3 hrs. Do I need to add anything to the water or seasoning?

Stacking wood - BRB

Some vacuum packed corned beef comes with a seasoning packet. The ones I've seen include some bay and mustard seed and other stuff I don;t remember. It's not essential.

You can also pressure cook brisket in 45 minutes to 1 hours. Cook your vegetables separately after the brisket is cooked using the liquid left from cooking the brisket.

:)Cant remember all the spices but I do know you want to simmer it not boil it.Your water should be giggling not laughing out loud.

Yep that is the perfect description. I will have to remember it and steal...I mean borrow it :LOL:

Yep. If you were trying to explain the difference between boiling and simmering, that would be it! I love it!

Assuming corned beef is the same on this side of the world as yours (!), here we put the beef into a pot with enough water to cover, add one tablespoon of malt vinegar, one teaspoon each of mustard powder and sugar, and six cloves. Simmer for a couple of hours until tender.

Seem to recall there is also a recipe for corned beef cooked in ginger beer.

I always put the meat in the pot cover with water and any season packs that come with, I also add a couple stalks of celery, few carrots, a big onion ,clove of garlic and a bay leaf. Never has fail me yet. the flavor is great. A friend of mine always comes to have lunch on st pats with us -hubbie doesn't like corn beef. he gets ham-- we just make sandwiches, and he says his never comes out this good. I use the veggies just for flavor I just throw them out .

Bilby, would you be willing to share the Corned Beef simmered in ginger beer with us? I'd love to try that. Of course, I'm going to need to find a source of ginger beer.

Corned beef is made from fairly tough cuts. Cooking it low and slow is the way to go. But how you cook it that way depends on the flavor you want. The above method of braising is dead on and will give you tender and tasty results. I have also cooked the corned beef sans extra liquid, in a covered cast-iron dutch oven at 200 degrees for several hours. The flavor is more intense and equally tender. My best cornbeef was done over a divided bed of charcoal on my Webber kettle, with apple wood on the charcoal to proved smoke. Again, the temperature was kept low by closing all vents half way. I cooked it to an internal temp of about 190' F as per my meat thermometer. It was fabulous. I used the dripping caught by a drip pan, placed under the corned beef to make a wonderful gravy for the smashed spuds that went with the meal.

Done right, corned beef can be a wonderfull meal, every bit as good as it is made into a reuben sandwich. And if you haven't tried making your own corned beef hash, from fresh corned beef, you don't know what you're missing.

But don't fry the stuff. I once had a corned beef sandwich aboard an aircraft carrier (they send U.S. Navy cooks to school to teach them how to destroy perfectly good food:ROFLMAO:) that was so tough, I literally couldn't cut it with a serrated table knife. I had to rip it with my teeth, and chew for a long time. The next day, my jaw muscles ached from the exercise. And I am not exagerating.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Bilby, would you be willing to share the Corned Beef simmered in ginger beer with us? I'd love to try that. Of course, I'm going to need to find a source of ginger beer.
Allen, I heard it on the radio a while ago so I can't guarantee finding it for you, but I will do my darndest. Ginger beer is a sweeter version of ginger ale, I guess like a ginger flavoured lemonade. You can make ginger beer in a similar method to beer, so if you can't get a reasonable source of ginger beer, I'll hunt down a recipe for you for that. I know my mum used to make it when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom