Help me cook a roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

x0rerror

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys,

Great community you have here. Hoping someone can help me out. I can't cook for the life of me. The other day i had a roast beef, not sure how much it weighed had no fat and no bone, one of those cheap roasts i guess.

Anyways i figured if i bought a digital thermometer there was no way in hell i could overcook it.

Thermometer said place 1 inch inside meat, i must have used 3 inches maybe, placed probe down to center ( mistake? )

Started oven off at 350 c and dropped it down to 300.... waited for 154 c internal meat temperature ( medium as per instructions on therm. ) and meat came out overcooked all the way through, more like well done than medium.

Planning on getting another roast bone in on Friday and giving this a shot again.

Where did i go wrong? How can i cook a roast and have it come out medium / medium rare? Is my thermometer messed up?

All suggestions and help appreciated.

thanks.

Hi Guys,

Great community you have here. Hoping someone can help me out. I can't cook for the life of me. The other day i had a roast beef, not sure how much it weighed had no fat and no bone, one of those cheap roasts i guess.

Anyways i figured if i bought a digital thermometer there was no way in hell i could overcook it.

Thermometer said place 1 inch inside meat, i must have used 3 inches maybe, placed probe down to center ( mistake? )

Started oven off at 350 c and dropped it down to 300.... waited for 154 c internal meat temperature ( medium as per instructions on therm. ) and meat came out overcooked all the way through, more like well done than medium.

Planning on getting another roast bone in on Friday and giving this a shot again.

Where did i go wrong? How can i cook a roast and have it come out medium / medium rare? Is my thermometer messed up?

thanks.

Your theory is correct. An instant read thermometer used properly should keep you from overcooking. However, you have to go with the right temperatures.

MEAT DONENESS TEMPERATURES
Rare
127º F

Medium Rare
135º - 140º F

Medium
141º - 145º F

Medium Well
146º - 150º F

Well Done
150+

Place the thermometer so that the tip is as close to the exact center of the meat mass as possible.

Depending on the size of the roast, internal temperature will increase 5-15 F after you take it out of the oven so act accordingly.

Remove the roast from the oven and move it to a cutting board. Cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Never cut into a piece of meat to see if it's done. That's what the thermometer is for.

i rest my roast uncovered, only because when i cover it it seems to wind up over cooked.

eye round roast

I rub roast with a small amount of olive oil all over and season with garlic powder, onion powder, adobo powder, salt and ground black pepper. Place on rack fat side up in roasting pan. I start at 450°F for 10 minutes to start the browning then lower to 350°F. I like it cooked to 120°F - 125°F degrees internal temp (med rare - pink and warm in the center, about 15 minutes per pound). When it reaches the temp of 115°F to 120°F remove from oven, place on board or platter and let rest for at least 20 minutes (it will continue to cook and the juices will redistribute in the roast and not run out much when you slice and will be very juicy).

img_871027_0_e4770d09e8f2a6a49439e5e68592c710.jpg

img_871027_1_83bb4e5a5e8bdd1410f9a11cf7a40bb1.jpg

img_871027_2_539859095debcfdfac3422147dcaf947.jpg

I have found that I like to double up on how cooked the meat is. Test your thermometer for accuracy and use it properly inserted. Double up by knowing the type of roast and reference the suggested minutes per pound for that cut of meat.

An oven can be off on its temperature. It could have a hot spot. I have cooked a pot roast in soapstone, enameled cast iron and glazed pottery. For the new years party it was filet minion in an oval copper/stainless steel pan. If you had a cut that you sat on a disposable aluminum roasting pan... and it should have been seared but you didn't it could be all kinds of variables. Eliminate the variables and you will quickly be able to correct the one that messed up the roast.

IMHO go one line and check out the cooking methods suggested for the particular piece of meeat that you bought. Ask here for that cut how others have tweaked it. LOL before long you'll be doing a standing rib roast! Good cooking

I have found that I like to double up on how cooked the meat is. Test your thermometer for accuracy and use it properly inserted. Double up by knowing the type of roast and reference the suggested minutes per pound for that cut of meat.

An oven can be off on its temperature. It could have a hot spot. I have cooked a pot roast in soapstone, enameled cast iron and glazed pottery. For the new years party it was filet minion in an oval copper/stainless steel pan. If you had a cut that you sat on a disposable aluminum roasting pan... and it should have been seared but you didn't it could be all kinds of variables. Eliminate the variables and you will quickly be able to correct the one that messed up the roast.

IMHO go one line and check out the cooking methods suggested for the particular piece of meeat that you bought. Ask here for that cut how others have tweaked it. LOL before long you'll be doing a standing rib roast! Good cooking
i also double up. this is a very good idea. i use minutes for a rough ETA then check internal to be accurate. personally I feel that an eye round is the most flavorful roast. it is long and skinny - uniform except for the end which usually has a point. this makes it easy to do the 15 minutes a pound. i check it with an instant digital probe about 10 minutes early of expected time. my roast always comes out pink and warm - perfect for my family if i pull it at an internal temp of 120 - 125.

Hi msmofet,
Ah I see you are in NewJ ersey! Hey If you like a nice eye roast try getting a bison tenderloin. There is a bison farm not far from Flemington NJ. It really came out well when my daughhter anf future son-in-law visited

Hi msmofet,
Ah I see you are in NewJ ersey! Hey If you like a nice eye roast try getting a bison tenderloin. There is a bison farm not far from Flemington NJ. It really came out well when my daughhter anf future son-in-law visited
hmmmmmmmmmmm i am at the top of NJ flemington is a day trip LOL but whats the name of the farm?

Hi Guys,

thanks.

Do you really mean those temps in Celcius? If so, no wonder it was overdone! My SO did a Celsius/Fahrenheit confusion (pressed the wrong button on the instant read thermometor), and cooked the flinders out of a batch of whole chicken legs.

Do you really mean those temps in Celcius? If so, no wonder it was overdone! My SO did a Celsius/Fahrenheit confusion (pressed the wrong button on the instant read thermometor), and cooked the flinders out of a batch of whole chicken legs.

I doubt it's Celsius. 350deg C would be 662deg F, and I doubt home ovens will do that.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Sorry i meant Fahrenheit not Celsius.

The thermometer is used is a digital thermometer, one with the probe in the meat and a reader that sit's outside the oven, not sure on it's accuracy.

"Zyliss Meat Thermometer & Multi-Timer"

msmofet : That looks absolutely delicious!

I'll pick up my meat on thursday to make friday, i'll let you guys and gals know what cut and weight and hopefully you can help me and i'll be enjoying a roast on friday.

A Lot of very knowledgeable people here. I've been reading the forums for quite some time and your suggestions inspire me and sound amazing. Now if only i could actually cook i would be set.

thanks again for all your help.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Sorry i meant Fahrenheit not Celsius.

The thermometer is used is a digital thermometer, one with the probe in the meat and a reader that sit's outside the oven, not sure on it's accuracy.

"Zyliss Meat Thermometer & Multi-Timer"

msmofet : That looks absolutely delicious!

I'll pick up my meat on thursday to make friday, i'll let you guys and gals know what cut and weight and hopefully you can help me and i'll be enjoying a roast on friday.

A Lot of very knowledgeable people here. I've been reading the forums for quite some time and your suggestions inspire me and sound amazing. Now if only i could actually cook i would be set.

thanks again for all your help.
thank you and good luck!! i am sure you will do just fine. and remember we all make mistakes and thats how we learn.

Darn I forget the name of the farm. If you are on route 22 in Whitehouse and head south on 523 towards Flemington it is on the right. Cant miss it as the fields use cut off telephone pole piece for sturdy fence posts. Thinking it is the Readington area of Hunterdon county. Dollars to donuts they have a website

Darn I forget the name of the farm. If you are on route 22 in Whitehouse and head south on 523 towards Flemington it is on the right. Cant miss it as the fields use cut off telephone pole piece for sturdy fence posts. Thinking it is the Readington area of Hunterdon county. Dollars to donuts they have a website
22 west? 523 going .............? LOL would i google bison ranch? man when i was a kid mom would go to flemington junction and at that time there was not much there but purina, a glass blower, flemington furs and a couple other little places by the railroad tracks still alot of dirt back then. BUT there was this great little hole in the wall mexican place called tico taco. outrageously good food!! the tables and benches were wood and hung on chains from the ceiling which was really fun to swing back and forth and try to catch your food. till the grown ups yelled LOL

22 west? 523 going .............? LOL would i google bison ranch? man when i was a kid mom would go to flemington junction and at that time there was not much there but purina, a glass blower, flemington furs and a couple other little places by the railroad tracks still alot of dirt back then. BUT there was this great little hole in the wall mexican place called tico taco. outrageously good food!! the tables and benches were wood and hung on chains from the ceiling which was really fun to swing back and forth and try to catch your food. till the grown ups yelled LOL

I'm familiar with Flemington tho I haven't been there in years. My mom and I used to go to the Stanglware place, I know it is gone now.

Link for bison ranch.
http://www.njbison.com/index.html

I finally got a roast,

1.758 Kg Cross Rib Roast,

Damn did i get the wrong cut of meat? I read breifly on internet after purchase that it is a tougher cut of meat?

How would you suggest cooking it?

thanks in advance everyone!!

Damn think i found my answer(s):

----://www.discusscooking.com forums f48 how-do-you-cook-a-cross-rib-roast-18912.html

thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom