"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Help me cook a roast?

Hi Guys,

Great community you have here. Hoping someone can help me out. I can't cook for the life of me. The other day i had a roast beef, not sure how much it weighed had no fat and no bone, one of those cheap roasts i guess.

Anyways i figured if i bought a digital thermometer there was no way in hell i could overcook it.

Thermometer said place 1 inch inside meat, i must have used 3 inches maybe, placed probe down to center ( mistake? )

Started oven off at 350 c and dropped it down to 300.... waited for 154 c internal meat temperature ( medium as per instructions on therm. ) and meat came out overcooked all the way through, more like well done than medium.

Planning on getting another roast bone in on Friday and giving this a shot again.

Where did i go wrong? How can i cook a roast and have it come out medium / medium rare? Is my thermometer messed up?

All suggestions and help appreciated.

thanks.

__________________

__________________
x0rerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0rerror View Post
Hi Guys,

Great community you have here. Hoping someone can help me out. I can't cook for the life of me. The other day i had a roast beef, not sure how much it weighed had no fat and no bone, one of those cheap roasts i guess.

Anyways i figured if i bought a digital thermometer there was no way in hell i could overcook it.

Thermometer said place 1 inch inside meat, i must have used 3 inches maybe, placed probe down to center ( mistake? )

Started oven off at 350 c and dropped it down to 300.... waited for 154 c internal meat temperature ( medium as per instructions on therm. ) and meat came out overcooked all the way through, more like well done than medium.

Planning on getting another roast bone in on Friday and giving this a shot again.

Where did i go wrong? How can i cook a roast and have it come out medium / medium rare? Is my thermometer messed up?

All suggestions and help appreciated.

thanks.
Your theory is correct. An instant read thermometer used properly should keep you from overcooking. However, you have to go with the right temperatures.

MEAT DONENESS TEMPERATURES
Rare
127 F

Medium Rare
135 - 140 F

Medium
141 - 145 F

Medium Well
146 - 150 F

Well Done
150+

Place the thermometer so that the tip is as close to the exact center of the meat mass as possible.

Depending on the size of the roast, internal temperature will increase 5-15 F after you take it out of the oven so act accordingly.

Remove the roast from the oven and move it to a cutting board. Cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Never cut into a piece of meat to see if it's done. That's what the thermometer is for.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,885
i rest my roast uncovered, only because when i cover it it seems to wind up over cooked.

eye round roast

I rub roast with a small amount of olive oil all over and season with garlic powder, onion powder, adobo powder, salt and ground black pepper. Place on rack fat side up in roasting pan. I start at 450F for 10 minutes to start the browning then lower to 350F. I like it cooked to 120F - 125F degrees internal temp (med rare - pink and warm in the center, about 15 minutes per pound). When it reaches the temp of 115F to 120F remove from oven, place on board or platter and let rest for at least 20 minutes (it will continue to cook and the juices will redistribute in the roast and not run out much when you slice and will be very juicy).





__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,644
Oh that looks very nice.
__________________
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Oh that looks very nice.
thank you frank
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
oneoffour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Levittown Pa
Posts: 169
I have found that I like to double up on how cooked the meat is. Test your thermometer for accuracy and use it properly inserted. Double up by knowing the type of roast and reference the suggested minutes per pound for that cut of meat.

An oven can be off on its temperature. It could have a hot spot. I have cooked a pot roast in soapstone, enameled cast iron and glazed pottery. For the new years party it was filet minion in an oval copper/stainless steel pan. If you had a cut that you sat on a disposable aluminum roasting pan... and it should have been seared but you didn't it could be all kinds of variables. Eliminate the variables and you will quickly be able to correct the one that messed up the roast.

IMHO go one line and check out the cooking methods suggested for the particular piece of meeat that you bought. Ask here for that cut how others have tweaked it. LOL before long you'll be doing a standing rib roast! Good cooking
__________________
oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoffour View Post
I have found that I like to double up on how cooked the meat is. Test your thermometer for accuracy and use it properly inserted. Double up by knowing the type of roast and reference the suggested minutes per pound for that cut of meat.

An oven can be off on its temperature. It could have a hot spot. I have cooked a pot roast in soapstone, enameled cast iron and glazed pottery. For the new years party it was filet minion in an oval copper/stainless steel pan. If you had a cut that you sat on a disposable aluminum roasting pan... and it should have been seared but you didn't it could be all kinds of variables. Eliminate the variables and you will quickly be able to correct the one that messed up the roast.

IMHO go one line and check out the cooking methods suggested for the particular piece of meeat that you bought. Ask here for that cut how others have tweaked it. LOL before long you'll be doing a standing rib roast! Good cooking
i also double up. this is a very good idea. i use minutes for a rough ETA then check internal to be accurate. personally I feel that an eye round is the most flavorful roast. it is long and skinny - uniform except for the end which usually has a point. this makes it easy to do the 15 minutes a pound. i check it with an instant digital probe about 10 minutes early of expected time. my roast always comes out pink and warm - perfect for my family if i pull it at an internal temp of 120 - 125.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
oneoffour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Levittown Pa
Posts: 169
Hi msmofet,
Ah I see you are in NewJ ersey! Hey If you like a nice eye roast try getting a bison tenderloin. There is a bison farm not far from Flemington NJ. It really came out well when my daughhter anf future son-in-law visited
__________________
oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoffour View Post
Hi msmofet,
Ah I see you are in NewJ ersey! Hey If you like a nice eye roast try getting a bison tenderloin. There is a bison farm not far from Flemington NJ. It really came out well when my daughhter anf future son-in-law visited
hmmmmmmmmmmm i am at the top of NJ flemington is a day trip LOL but whats the name of the farm?
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0rerror View Post
Hi Guys,

Great community you have here. Hoping someone can help me out. I can't cook for the life of me. The other day i had a roast beef, not sure how much it weighed had no fat and no bone, one of those cheap roasts i guess.

Anyways i figured if i bought a digital thermometer there was no way in hell i could overcook it.

Thermometer said place 1 inch inside meat, i must have used 3 inches maybe, placed probe down to center ( mistake? )

Started oven off at 350 c and dropped it down to 300.... waited for 154 c internal meat temperature ( medium as per instructions on therm. ) and meat came out overcooked all the way through, more like well done than medium.

Planning on getting another roast bone in on Friday and giving this a shot again.

Where did i go wrong? How can i cook a roast and have it come out medium / medium rare? Is my thermometer messed up?

All suggestions and help appreciated.

thanks.
Do you really mean those temps in Celcius? If so, no wonder it was overdone! My SO did a Celsius/Fahrenheit confusion (pressed the wrong button on the instant read thermometor), and cooked the flinders out of a batch of whole chicken legs.
__________________

__________________
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.