"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help - my beef is tough when reheated

hey everyone-- hope you can help - soon

I slow roasted a 24 lb inside round & it turned out beautiful
-- 8 hrs at 250 to a medium rare
I made a wonderful pinot noir au jus with the drippings as well

I then thinly sliced the left overs and frozen the slices into 15 small 8 oz batches with enough au jus to partly cover the pieces
BUT the reheating - at 300 for 1 hour, covered - has caused the meat to become tough and dry

what are your suggestions as to how I can "fix" the remaining leftovers

perhaps thaw first and "cook" the meat on a rack so the au jus runs off the meat to the pan below?
cover or not?
also any ideas as to how to avoid this in the first place?
please don't suggest that I shouldn't freeze the meat as that is not an option - long story -
any further tips would be most welcome
thanks- doodle

Old 08-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
Contest Winner

I think other people here might be better apt to answer this for you seeing as how I haven't eaten red meat in quite a few years.... However, I wonder if you could just toss the leftovers in a stew and slow cook it in a stewing mixture for several hours at low heat...? I know that is how is my mom would get tough meat to soften up and tenderize. Not sure how it would work with already roasted meat, but it's worth a try...

~GB

Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

The problem is with the re-heating. You cooked the meat to med-rare as I am assuming that is the degree of doneness you were after. When you re-heat it though it will end up going past med-rare. Thinly sliced at 300 for an hour is going to turn it into shoe leather and dry as a bone no matter what you do.

I would only slice what I need that night. Then when reheating I would do it for as short a time as possible and as gently as possible. I would just get it warm. I would not try to get it hot.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I agree with GB. The issues that araise with freezing cooked meat is generally that you've already cooked it to perfection. When you heat it up, the cooking process starts again so you've added an hour to your original cooking time. I would slightly undercook the meat to begin with (I do this with steak cooking it to rare when I know the additional heat will make it medium the next morning) so when you reheat you are finishing it to your desired tastes. You can cut off what you want to eat, finish it off and then freeze the rest.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Head Chef

I wonder if you freeze the juice separate then when reheating you could heat the au jus then dip the meat in.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

That is probably what I would do elaine. I would heat the meat enough to take the chill out of it and get it warm at most, but heat the juice up nice and hot and use that to make the meat warmer.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I agree with that approach too. The biggest thing is don't use the oven to defrost the meat. Make sure you defrost the meat before heating it, that will help.

I have to ask, is the microwave not an option?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Another way to do it would be to let it thaw completely overnight in the fridge and then heat the jus in a large saute pan or skillet. After the jus is hot, put the beef in the jus and warm it that way. It would probably take just a few minutes.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Head Chef

Now that it is reheated & dried out, not sure if you can fix it. You might turn it into a salad like so:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Or a cold sammie with au jus. Next time, I would simply cover it & use the Defrost setting in the microwave or reheat covered at about 50-70% power, & rotate till heated through.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
Executive Chef

We quite often heat up our meat in gravy - fairly quick

Tags
None