Help with Beef Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
I dont think Ive made one of these in a long time. Is the same idea as the pork shoulder? I.e. low temp and long cooking time? I sure dont want to do it wrong. This one is about 2 1/2 lbs looks real nice. I am loathe to try the search engine here as it often just produces more searches...Anyhow just give me an idea on how to cook, its for day after turkey day..

Beef tenderloin is the opposite of a pork shoulder.

It's the top of the line in beef cuts. It's Chateuabraind or filet mignon depending on how you cut it up. It's a lean and very tender cut. It should be seared then roasted at 400F to a rare or medium rare doneness.

It will probably take 30 minutes to roast 2 1/2 lbs at the temp Andy said, to reach 125 degrees for rare to medium rare. LET IT REST for 10-15 minutes when you take it out of the oven, before you slice it.

The only thing you can do to wreck this cut is overcook it! Enjoy!

Lee

Just jumping on the band wagon here! Hot and fast!!! Wham! Bam! Thank you Ma'am!!! --- Sear all sides in a screaming hot skillet --- Run it in the 400* oven -- Have your thermometer Cocked & Locked ready to check it --- It want take long!

The rest of the meal should be ready before you start....Pour the tea!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!!

Um, hey, UB? Maybe you should step away from the caffinated tea and have a glass of herbal? :LOL:

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Bob!

Lee

:ROFLMAO: I think the problem is I haven't had any "Caffine"...:ermm:...None!

I think it's time.....;)

Have a great day on the back forty ya self!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Miss Lee!!!!

Since the thickness of a whole tender varies a lot, you might want to remove a portion of the tail and tie it back along the remainder. I will cook more evenly that way

Beef tenderloin is the best and most expensive cut of beef. If this is what you are eating the day after Thanksgiving I gotta envy you. We're having left overs, again and again. :LOL:

Yes well normally I wouldnt have it at all, but my wife and daughter are staying four days w/ my father/mother in law and I am watching my father and have to work on friday. We just came back from turkey with the my inlaws but it's me and dad till saturday so I thought I'd pay him back for all the meats he used to get us. In the 60s and 70s we had beef and lamb about 4 or 5 days a week, my dad was just nuts for it. Grilled Lamb chops was his big thing followed by steaks followed by pork ribs/sauerkraut/potatoes on weekends. He worked in the mill back in PIttsburgh but I am only child so I guess he could spend a few bucks on meat. That's about all we ever splurged on really.

My dad is slovak, on her cooking days mom would try to imitate her italian parents but she could never get it just right. I used to tell her it was not like Grandmas and she'd deny it. It was years later I figured out the problem with the spaghetti. One day I put an anchovy in the tomatoe sauce, BOOM! THat's it, that's grandmas spaghetti!

Im glad I asked about the beef tenderloin I really wasnt sure if it was like the pork shoulder or not. for the pork, I used that recipe from the guy who had posted the pictures. (this was a few months ago) Turned out great that day, and I did another one last week, just tremendous. Started it out at 375 for about 45 min. then backed it down to 250 for about 2+ hours more. excellent.

Oh a couple more questions: Can I marinate this guy before cooking? can I just rub spices on before the searing? can I add flavors during the roasting? What do you suggest: ginger, garlic, soy I am thinking..

ALso is this the same as London broil? Thanks.

Oh a couple more questions: Can I marinate this guy before cooking? can I just rub spices on before the searing? can I add flavors during the roasting? What do you suggest: ginger, garlic, soy I am thinking..

ALso is this the same as London broil? Thanks.

I would not marinate it. I'm a purist when it comes to top cuts of beef. I just want to enjoy the taste of the beef. I would jusr rub it with salt and pepper before searing.

This cut is not the same as or similar to London Broil. You will literally be able to cut this meat with a fork. It needs no special treatment to make it edible or tender.

My dad is slovak, on her cooking days mom would try to imitate her italian parents but she could never get it just right. I used to tell her it was not like Grandmas and she'd deny it. It was years later I figured out the problem with the spaghetti. One day I put an anchovy in the tomatoe sauce, BOOM! THat's it, that's grandmas spaghetti!

That's funny about the anchovies. My friends my husband and family thought I made fantastic spaghetti sauce . I have been asked for the recipe over and over and won't give it out because I ALWAYS put a couple of anchovies in the pot when sweating the garlic and onions. It really does give the sauce a great depth of flavor but my friends would NEVER do this no matter how good the sauce is. I just don't give it out and fortunately they don't get into this site. :LOL:

yeah, Ive told that anchovy story before. Try as she might my mum could not replicate that taste..Im sure grandma used garlic as well, grandpa could cook as well or better. He would make this tremendously greasy french fries, I guess he used olive oil. They were major greasy and we could not stop eating them. Fried codfish, smelts, spaghetti, fried eggplant, jarred peppers, veal and stuff that like that was popular.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom