"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Help with Beef Tenderloin

I dont think Ive made one of these in a long time. Is the same idea as the pork shoulder? I.e. low temp and long cooking time? I sure dont want to do it wrong. This one is about 2 1/2 lbs looks real nice. I am loathe to try the search engine here as it often just produces more searches...Anyhow just give me an idea on how to cook, its for day after turkey day..

Old 11-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Beef tenderloin is the opposite of a pork shoulder.

It's the top of the line in beef cuts. It's Chateuabraind or filet mignon depending on how you cut it up. It's a lean and very tender cut. It should be seared then roasted at 400F to a rare or medium rare doneness.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Head Chef

It will probably take 30 minutes to roast 2 1/2 lbs at the temp Andy said, to reach 125 degrees for rare to medium rare. LET IT REST for 10-15 minutes when you take it out of the oven, before you slice it.

The only thing you can do to wreck this cut is overcook it! Enjoy!

Lee
Old 11-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Just jumping on the band wagon here! Hot and fast!!! Wham! Bam! Thank you Ma'am!!! --- Sear all sides in a screaming hot skillet --- Run it in the 400* oven -- Have your thermometer Cocked & Locked ready to check it --- It want take long!

The rest of the meal should be ready before you start....Pour the tea!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Head Chef

Um, hey, UB? Maybe you should step away from the caffinated tea and have a glass of herbal?

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Bob!

Lee
Old 11-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the problem is I haven't had any "Caffine"......None!

I think it's time.....

Have a great day on the back forty ya self!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Miss Lee!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Head Chef

Since the thickness of a whole tender varies a lot, you might want to remove a portion of the tail and tie it back along the remainder. I will cook more evenly that way
Old 11-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Head Chef

Beef tenderloin is the best and most expensive cut of beef. If this is what you are eating the day after Thanksgiving I gotta envy you. We're having left overs, again and again.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Yes well normally I wouldnt have it at all, but my wife and daughter are staying four days w/ my father/mother in law and I am watching my father and have to work on friday. We just came back from turkey with the my inlaws but it's me and dad till saturday so I thought I'd pay him back for all the meats he used to get us. In the 60s and 70s we had beef and lamb about 4 or 5 days a week, my dad was just nuts for it. Grilled Lamb chops was his big thing followed by steaks followed by pork ribs/sauerkraut/potatoes on weekends. He worked in the mill back in PIttsburgh but I am only child so I guess he could spend a few bucks on meat. That's about all we ever splurged on really.

My dad is slovak, on her cooking days mom would try to imitate her italian parents but she could never get it just right. I used to tell her it was not like Grandmas and she'd deny it. It was years later I figured out the problem with the spaghetti. One day I put an anchovy in the tomatoe sauce, BOOM! THat's it, that's grandmas spaghetti!

Im glad I asked about the beef tenderloin I really wasnt sure if it was like the pork shoulder or not. for the pork, I used that recipe from the guy who had posted the pictures. (this was a few months ago) Turned out great that day, and I did another one last week, just tremendous. Started it out at 375 for about 45 min. then backed it down to 250 for about 2+ hours more. excellent.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Oh a couple more questions: Can I marinate this guy before cooking? can I just rub spices on before the searing? can I add flavors during the roasting? What do you suggest: ginger, garlic, soy I am thinking..

ALso is this the same as London broil? Thanks.

Tags
None