"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Master Chef

Help with new meat for DH

Okay, DH has not been able to eat beef in over a year because of an Eshophageal motility disorder. Anyone know of a REALLY good way to do some kind of beef so that it isn't stringy -{easy to choke on} and is going to be VERY tender like chicken? I want him to be able to eat something beef for once. He does okay with chicken and pork loin that is tender. Takes him a while to chew it to almost pulverized bits, but, he misses the taste of beef.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I think that will be as much down to the Cutting method (across the grain) as it will be about the cooking method in all honesty.

I would think that a Good quality beef roast (no grissle bits) with plenty marbling and allowed to stand a while after cooking and then cut thinly Across the grain should be acceptable.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Just a thought: slow roasted pot roast meat, which is then chopped & made into ravioli.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

okay, thanks you two!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Executive Chef

How about a carpaccio? So tender that way, it should melt in the mouth just about. Thin strips of beef in a marinade... like this recipe Beef Carpaccio with Rocket and Shaved Parmesan

Or beef tataki Japanese Beef Steak Salad - Beef tataki salad - Japanese recipe
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Hey Texas Girl - thanks for the link on your DH's condition. What's his prognosis if you don't mind me asking? I remember from the pecan post that he has had this for a while now. I take it he is worsening. Sorry to hear that if this is so. I do hope 2008 is better for him.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Head Chef

I agree with the carpaccio idea. Rare beef is tender. OK, it does not have to be raw, although I love it that way. But very pink is very tender.

But if DH does not like rare beef, and wants the flavor, make a strong beef stock and then French onion soup. Julia's recipe works just fine and it does taste like beef. As a soup it goes down easily. It takes me days to make, my stock starts with bones and then goes with beef, so I don't do it very often but it has a lot of beef taste. But it is wonderful, and I rarely say that about my food.

Oh yes, most of the time my esophagus works just fine. But about five percent of the time nothing will go down, nothing. I will not go into details but those are truly incapacitating times. So I can just a bit understand your husband's difficulty. I wish you both well.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Master Chef

Thank you. One question, what is a rocket? The only one I know of used to go to outter space

Bilby, DH does okay sometimes. He has been this way for a year. He will go back in February. I want something else done. The medicine barely lets him eat anything and the side effects are not fun either. He will be fine one week and the next week, he chokes on everything, even his own saliva. He constantly clears his throat and wakes up choking on saliva. He can't eat for at least 30 minutes after taking his meds and this is not fun, especially at any gatherings.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Senior Cook

As far as actual tender steaks...

Filet Migeon is the most tender...
Top shoulder/blade chuck / or the entire "flat iron" steak are the 2nd most tender...
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Executive Chef

[quote=auntdot;528211]I agree with the carpaccio idea. Rare beef is tender. OK, it does not have to be raw, although I love it that way. But very pink is very tender.

But if DH does not like rare beef, and wants the flavor, make a strong beef stock and then French onion soup. Julia's recipe works just fine and it does taste like beef. As a soup it goes down easily. It takes me days to make, my stock starts with bones and then goes with beef, so I don't do it very often but it has a lot of beef taste. But it is wonderful, and I rarely say that about my food.

Oh yes, most of the time my esophagus works just fine. But about five percent of the time nothing will go down, nothing. I will not go into details but those are truly incapacitating times. So I can just a bit understand your husband's difficulty. I wish you both well.[/quote
That was what I was thinking F.O soup has incredible beef flavor or maybe just a really strong beef broth with some really tender meatballs.

Tags
None