Help with new meat for DH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Okay, DH has not been able to eat beef in over a year because of an Eshophageal motility disorder. Anyone know of a REALLY good way to do some kind of beef so that it isn't stringy -{easy to choke on} and is going to be VERY tender like chicken? I want him to be able to eat something beef for once. He does okay with chicken and pork loin that is tender. Takes him a while to chew it to almost pulverized bits, but, he misses the taste of beef.

I think that will be as much down to the Cutting method (across the grain) as it will be about the cooking method in all honesty.

I would think that a Good quality beef roast (no grissle bits) with plenty marbling and allowed to stand a while after cooking and then cut thinly Across the grain should be acceptable.

Hey Texas Girl - thanks for the link on your DH's condition. What's his prognosis if you don't mind me asking? I remember from the pecan post that he has had this for a while now. I take it he is worsening. Sorry to hear that if this is so. I do hope 2008 is better for him.

I agree with the carpaccio idea. Rare beef is tender. OK, it does not have to be raw, although I love it that way. But very pink is very tender.

But if DH does not like rare beef, and wants the flavor, make a strong beef stock and then French onion soup. Julia's recipe works just fine and it does taste like beef. As a soup it goes down easily. It takes me days to make, my stock starts with bones and then goes with beef, so I don't do it very often but it has a lot of beef taste. But it is wonderful, and I rarely say that about my food.

Oh yes, most of the time my esophagus works just fine. But about five percent of the time nothing will go down, nothing. I will not go into details but those are truly incapacitating times. So I can just a bit understand your husband's difficulty. I wish you both well.

Thank you. One question, what is a rocket? The only one I know of used to go to outter space:LOL:

Bilby, DH does okay sometimes. He has been this way for a year. He will go back in February. I want something else done. The medicine barely lets him eat anything and the side effects are not fun either. He will be fine one week and the next week, he chokes on everything, even his own saliva. He constantly clears his throat and wakes up choking on saliva. He can't eat for at least 30 minutes after taking his meds and this is not fun, especially at any gatherings.

As far as actual tender steaks...

Filet Migeon is the most tender...
Top shoulder/blade chuck / or the entire "flat iron" steak are the 2nd most tender...

I agree with the carpaccio idea. Rare beef is tender. OK, it does not have to be raw, although I love it that way. But very pink is very tender.

But if DH does not like rare beef, and wants the flavor, make a strong beef stock and then French onion soup. Julia's recipe works just fine and it does taste like beef. As a soup it goes down easily. It takes me days to make, my stock starts with bones and then goes with beef, so I don't do it very often but it has a lot of beef taste. But it is wonderful, and I rarely say that about my food.

Oh yes, most of the time my esophagus works just fine. But about five percent of the time nothing will go down, nothing. I will not go into details but those are truly incapacitating times. So I can just a bit understand your husband's difficulty. I wish you both well.[/quote
:)That was what I was thinking F.O soup has incredible beef flavor or maybe just a really strong beef broth with some really tender meatballs.

:)How about some really fluffy mashed potatoes with a seriously decadently rich beef gravy.I think a filet mignon is about as tender as you can get as long as its not over cooked.

Last edited:
This is what he eats on a weekly basis and is getting tired of some it. Thankfully, he loves chicken.
Chicken strips
mashed potatoes with smooth gravy
mac and cheese
frozen burritos
SOMETIMES, chicken tequitos
some other things that can be blended into a smooth pasty like texture.
He has to eat soup for lunch, as he is by himself and noone around to help if he chokes.

Thank you. One question, what is a rocket? The only one I know of used to go to outter space
Think you call it arugula in the US. But stick with it what you will. Rocket is just very "in" at the moment!!

Scotch fillet is an extremely tender cut of meat. Or really lash out and get him a piece of wagyu steak - just small and thin cos it costs a packet - and you really only sear it on both sides in the pan and it is done. No need to season but pepper if you must. If it cooks for more than a minute, it's over cooked. Everything else needs to be ready to rock before the wagyu is introduced to the pan.

DH's condition must be so debilitating for both of you. I hope he gets some positive resolution soon.

Back
Top Bottom