"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Help working out a recipe...

Jamie Oliver Great British Burger 284G

I used to be able to buy Jamie Oliver mature cheddar and Tewkesbury mustard burgers from Tesco however they stopped selling them but they were so very tasty! So im trying to work out the recipe from the ingredients on the pack:

“British Beef (87%),West Country Cheddar (4%) ,Tewkesbury Mustard (3%) (White Wine Vinegar, Water, Mustard Flour, Fresh English Horseradish Root, Salt, Mustard Rusk) ,Parmigiano Reggiano ,Chives ,Breadcrumb (Flour, Yeast, Salt) ,Salt ,Black Pepper ,White Pepper ,Ginger ,Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite ,Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid”

By working out the percentages compared to the total weight 284g I have gotten this far (rounded):

216g British Beef (87%)
12g West Country Cheddar (4%)
8g Tewkesbury Mustard (3%)
6g Parmigiano Reggiano (2%)
1 tsp Chives – not sure if this is too much or too little?
50g Breadcrumb – seems a lot?
Pinch - Salt
Black Pepper
White Pepper
Thumb size lump – Ginger – not sure how much would be over powering?

Not needed:
Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite ,Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid

So I would like some help trying to get this right so I can make them and also will come in great for BBQ’s in the summer!

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Master Chef

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s183/...13744ef029b24f

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Thanks for the reply, i came across a couple of Jamies burger recipes but they wernt the same as this more just plain standard burgers, I really want to try to match this one as best I can however Im just not sure on quantity's
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Master Chef

My pleasure :) Welcome to DC!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
My pleasure :) Welcome to DC!
Thanks :) hopefully someone can help me with the breadcrumb, ginger etc seems a lot of bread crumbs :/
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Master Chef

The burgers you buy ready made are much different to fresh and almost impossible to copy in a home environment. I think one of the recipes from his cookbooks will be your best bet.
You don't have the equipment they use in factories and they process everything more than we would at home.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Executive Chef

As far as the ginger goes, I think it is a matter of how much you like ginger. A little goes a long way. I usually use the rule that it is better to add less than more. Too much of something can ruin a dish, where if there is not enough you can always add more. I would play around and make little test patties. Try it, then decide what it needs, if anything. 50 grams of bread crumbs sounds reasonable. That is only a couple of ounces.....
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Head Chef

I do agree with Snip actually. Jamie has lots of great burger recipes , check out his website and also his Jamie magazine . Good luck with your quest !
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

An update for you guys,

Made the burgers as the recipe above, but I used Paxo breadcrumbs which I think was a mistake as it made the mix a little stodgy after cooking. I think proper bread crumbs next time and maybe less of it. I used a little bit of ginger but could still taste it so good think I didn’t put my original guess in cheers rocklobster!

Otherwise though they were very tasty not quite the same and Jamie’s I think maybe more cheese needed!

Tags
beef, recipe

Help working out a recipe... [B][FONT="]Jamie Oliver Great British Burger 284G[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT="] [/FONT][/B] [FONT="]I used to be able to buy Jamie Oliver mature cheddar and Tewkesbury mustard burgers from Tesco however they stopped selling them but they were so very tasty! So im trying to work out the recipe from the ingredients on the pack:[/FONT] [FONT="][/FONT] “British Beef (87%),West Country Cheddar (4%) ,Tewkesbury Mustard (3%) (White Wine Vinegar, Water, Mustard Flour, Fresh English Horseradish Root, Salt, Mustard Rusk) ,Parmigiano Reggiano ,Chives ,Breadcrumb (Flour, Yeast, Salt) ,Salt ,Black Pepper ,White Pepper ,Ginger ,Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite ,Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid” By working out the percentages compared to the total weight 284g I have gotten this far (rounded): 216g British Beef (87%) 12g West Country Cheddar (4%) 8g Tewkesbury Mustard (3%) 6g Parmigiano Reggiano (2%) 1 tsp Chives – not sure if this is too much or too little? 50g Breadcrumb – seems a lot? Pinch - Salt Black Pepper White Pepper Thumb size lump – Ginger – not sure how much would be over powering? Not needed: Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite ,Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid So I would like some help trying to get this right so I can make them and also will come in great for BBQ’s in the summer! :chef: Thanks. 3 stars 1 reviews