"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Head Chef

Oh, just so you know my methodology, I cut slices from the center of each tenderloin, cut each in half, and tasted from the center of that.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Salt is not fat soluble. The salts 2 jobs are to draw the moisture out and back in again and to flavor the meat.

That is great about the spices!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
Head Chef

The salt, then, must cause the moisture to act as a carrier, as you previously surmised.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Exactly.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Head Chef

OK, I've finished eating, and the sage/dry brine was definitely the preferred one. The rosemary was overbearing. Adjustments as to quantity, of course, may alleviate the problem, but I did use an equal amount by volume. Has no one done this before? It'd be nice--but not so exciting--to get a clue as to what and how much to use.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Head Chef

I can't buy the stuff where I live, but have you thought about trying liquid smoke as part of the mix? I'm fascinated by the very idea of the stuff - sounds like some kind of party magic trick!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I don't think liquid smoke would work for a dry brine. Liquid smoke is VERY strong stuff. Since this is a dry application you would have to sprinkle the liquid smoke all over the meat to get it even and that would be much to much. Even one drop for a steak would be too much in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hmm. Still pondering. How about smoked salt? Spiced salt might work well with chicken and turkey.

Plus, where I live, lambs are slaughtered quite young. A leg of lamb typically weighs around three pounds, bone in. I might try dry brining a boned leg of lamb this autumn, just to see. Salt marsh/meadow lamb is popular in France and Britain and sold at a premium price.

I also don't like stabbing joints with slivers of garlic and rosemary - they taste too burnt for my liking. I'll try adding a bit of both to the salt.

I'll post results, but don't hold your breath. I use a wood-burning range for heating and as the oven. It's too hot here even to think about firing it up for a couple of months or so. If you have any views or do other experiments in the meantime, I'd be glad to hear them.

Tags
None