Holiday Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I take it she means that traditionally you have the T-giving turkey, Christmas Goose, Easter Ham. There really is no Holiday that is truly associated with some type of beef. Yes I know that individual families have their traditional standing beef rib roast but it's not recognized by the masses. You don't see grocery stores selling a Beef tenderloin for $1.00 a pound as a lost leader to get people into the store because 90% of the country eating it on the specific day. The closest thing that comes to it is New Year's Eve but it has to share the billing with lobster for a Surf and Turf.

Sorry stirblue if your a he not a she, I'm just going by the name

JDP

What do you typically make stirblue? I have no set menu, I just go by what people want to eat each year.

We always have a tenderloin. My parents always fixed standing rib and Yorkshire pudding.

well goose is hardly an American favorite. Probably more beef served in this country than goose. We alternate goose with standing rib and Yorkshire puddin'.

For the most part Christmas food has been platters of finger foods for busy people on the go all day trying out and trying on all that new stuff. We actually have a light dinner in the evening when all are tired and hungry. The day after Christmas we are busy looking for the missing accessories to our gifts.
I guess I should have phrased my thread a little differently. Thanks for the replies.

StirBlue said:
Roast turkey, leg of lamb, quarter pounder?
This 14lb bad boy has been dry aging in the cooler since Monday. It'll be roasted Christmas day.
156_5686.JPG

What are you cooking?:)

mackeeg said:
What is dry aging and how are you cooking your standing rib roast??
Thanks
Aging beef allows enzymes within the joint to breakdown connective tissue. End result is a more tender roast.

Dry aging allows liquids from the roast to evaporate, thus concentrating the beef flavor.

More info here.

Normally we do the standing rib roast with Yorkshire pud.

This year we decided to go the simple route, and so two 2 1/2 lb lobsters, stuffed with a crabmeat stuffing and baked.

Maybe will start with some foie gras if I can find it.

Love geese and ducks but have gotten a little tired of fowl.

Am looking forward to the bugs, but will miss the beef.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom