Horseradish sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I am making my own horse radish sauce. I only use horse radish and double cream. The problem is horse radish (which is basically wood) soaks up the double cream. The more I add the more it soaks up. Eventual it ends up hard. Not creamy like a jar. Do I need to add another ingredient that will keep it moist.

TIA.

I'm curious to read what other people have to say about this. I haven't tried making my own horseradish sauce, but would like to.

We use jarred prepared horseradish to make a cream sauce. Even the fresh grated we use in the homemade Worcestershire gets tossed after it given up its flavor.

I just looked at a bunch of recipes for horseradish sauce. Most of them used sour cream or crème fraiche. Some also used mayo. Some used mayo and no dairy. Some added other flavours.

All of them used prepared horseradish.

Here's a link to a recipe and instructions for making prepared horseradish from fresh horseradish: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_prepare_horseradish/

disclaimer: I haven't tried making prepared horseradish.

Hi taxlady

Yes you should try making your own it is far nicer. The less cream you put with the horse radish the hotter it will be. It is very hot itself. As others have suggested.

I would think vinegar. Some used mayo.

You will need to go to some street veg shops for it. Supermarkets wont sell it. In York I pay about 50p for one root about about 120g.

I peel it and thinly slice it with a very sharp strait edge knife and cut the peaces up a bit. I use a coffee grinder to get it down, use about 150g double cream. will make some today with the ideas of others here and let you know, but you should relay try it. Much nicer.

Okay I have had a go.Looked on the internet and tried to work out ratios. What annoys me is 1/4 cup of double cream. Here in the UK we have British standard measurements and European measurements. so what is the size of an American standard cup?

I tend to be as accurate as possible and weigh everything in grams including liquids. Weighing what’s left afterwards to see what is used. So, here is what I have.

120g ground horse radish
87g Double cream
50g Mayonnaise
* No Vinegar, mustard or sugar. supermarket mayo has vinegar, mustard, sugar as well as other ingredients anyway.

Approx. 87p for 300g

A bit more experimentation needed here. The mayo does help bring out the creaminess but I think a little less next time maybe 30g and let the horseradish soak up the cream first adding the mayo as needed. Never had any white vinegar so don’t know what affect 10g of white vinegar would have on this.

If TaxiLady wants to try this, chopping and grinding horseradish is worse than onions. You tend to recover a bit with onions. Not with horseradish.

If others want to have a go and post back changes this would be good. We spend too much time buying of a supermarket shelf. I make better prawn cocktail sauce than a supermarket. Supermarket producers create these products with a spoon in one hand and a calculator in the other, also, you can grow your own horseradish but grow it in a large wooden box. Plant it in the garden and it will take over your garden.

Last edited:
I do know that horseradish is usually very pungent and aggressive. My parents were Scandinavian. Scandinavian food is sometimes garnished with skinny curls of fresh horseradish and it is used in a number of dishes. I have grated fresh horseradish to add some zing to mayonnaise.

Now I have a bag of horseradish powder and I'm wondering how to turn that into horseradish sauce. (I bought it because the only local grocery store that carried fresh horseradish closed shop after a flood.)

Last edited:
I do know that horseradish is usually very pungent and aggressive. My parents were Scandinavian. Scandinavian food is sometimes garnished with skinny curls of fresh horseradish and it is used in a number of dishes. I have grated fresh horseradish to add some zing to mayonnaise.

Now I have a bag of horseradish powder and I'm wondering how to turn that into horseradish sauce. (I bought it because the only local grocery store that carried fresh horseradish closed shop after a flood.)

Here are a few ways to use up your horseradish powder. HTH

To make horseradish sauce, mix 1 part powder with 2 parts water, using more or less water for desired thickness.

For mustard, mix together equal parts powdered horseradish, mustard powder, and vinegar.

For cocktail sauce, simply mix 2 Tbsp. powder with 1 cup ketchup.

It’s also a zesty addition to dips, sour cream, tomato juice, and bloody marys.

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/horseradish

Last edited:
Here are a few ways to use up your horseradish powder.
Don't understand? Never heard of horseradish powder. Is this american? I am talking about a plant which you dig out of the ground, peel, cut up into small pieces and grind down a bit. Never heard of a horseradish powder.

Here are a few ways to use up your horseradish powder.
Don't understand? Never heard of horseradish powder. Is this american? I am talking about a plant which you dig out of the ground, peel, cut up into small pieces and grind down a bit. Never heard of a horseradish powder.

Yes, it's that plant which is dug out of the ground. It's just been peeled, dried, and ground into powder.

Hi Thanks for all your help. I will add vinegar but I do like it HOT. I love a good vindaloo. Next time some vinegar and perhaps more mayonnaise as this keeps it more fluid.

Thanks again.

Sorry to ask but why do some add sugar or caster sugar. Do you want to sweeten it?

This is silly. Here I am asking for help on making horse radish sauce to go with roast beef as I haven't had it since I was a child and now the government are telling us we shouldn't eat it as cows are causing global warming. SORRY. I love roast beef.

Last edited:
This is silly. Here I am asking for help on making horse radish sauce to go with roast beef as I haven't had it since I was a child and now the government are telling us we shouldn't eat it as cows are causing global warming. SORRY. I love roast beef.

The current government denies that global warming is a thing, so I wouldn't worry about it ;) Besides, it's really vegans who say cows are causing it [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom