How best to oven grill my prime ribs of beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
Hi,

I'm planning a dinner for 8 on Friday and have bought three beautiful aged ribs of beef.

I should explain that this is a wine dinner so any cooking must not overwhelm some fine old Bordeaux.

I only have a standard oven grill to work with and it will not be possible to barbecue.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Would the beef gain much from being marinaded? If so, in what and for how long?
I am tempted to use a mallet to pound some crushed peppercorns into the meat. Does this seem like a good idea to you?

I was also thinking of making a sauce with ceps. Or is the beef on its own the best thing in your opinion?

Best regards,
Alex R.

What is an oven grill?

If it's good aged beef don't mess with a marinade or pepper. Plus the pepper will overpower the wine.

Jenny,

When I speak of an oven grill, I'm referring to a heating element on the inside of a normal kitchen stove. Nothing fancy whatsoever.

Best regards,
Alex R.

If you hit your prime rib with a mallet or marinate it we will take it away from you. :chef:

There are instructions floating about for cooking prime rib by roasting it at high heat then letting it sit in the oven after turning it off. It is so many minutes for so many pounds.

I neglected to say that this is not a roast consisting of several ribs.

I have three very thick individual ribs.

Am I better off putting them under the grill in the oven or roasting them at high temperature ???

Alex R.

I neglected to say that this is not a roast consisting of several ribs.

I have three very thick individual ribs.

Am I better off putting them under the grill in the oven or roasting them at high temperature ???

Alex R.

Under the heating element. Unless they are to thick.
How in the world did you end up with sliced prime rib? (separated ribs) A whole rib roast would have been better.
What you have now are three large bone in rib eye steaks and they should be treated as such.

Last edited:
RollBones is correct, it seems you have three bone in rib eye steaks to serve 8 people. If they were not cut apart, a three bone rib roast would feed 6 people, allowing two slices per rib. You would need another one for my table of 8 people.

Just to clarify, is this what you are referring to:
PJAQ503_STEAK_G_200907141530481_3.jpg

If so, then I agree with Roll_Bones. Just broil it under the heating element - but be careful not to overcook it, as it will turn into a piece of leather. Seasoning should be very simple. I only rub it with a little oil, and then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.

Regarding your questions of what to serve with it, ceps (mushrooms) is a good choice and will certainly compliment the wine.

Last edited:
Steve,

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about (côte de boeuf in French).

What is the difference between grilling and broiling, please?

All the best,
Alex R.

Here in the US, we mostly grill outside, usually over charcoal or gas, on a free-standing unit. The heat comes from the bottom. Our inside ovens have a heating element, called a broiler, at the top inside of the oven, that heats to high temperature, and that can produce results similar to, though not the same as, outside grilling.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, is this what you are referring to:
PJAQ503_STEAK_G_200907141530481_3.jpg

- but be careful not to overcook it, as it will turn into a piece of leather. Seasoning should be very simple. I only rub it with a little oil, and then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.

How I wish I could get my wife and MIL to understand this.
I have purposely quit buying good steaks because they insist on well done.
Even a hint of pink will send them away from the table.

We were in Costco the other day and I bought only one pack of sirloin steaks. I left the NY Strip and Rib Eye's behind.
I am sick and tired of having to ruin a beautiful steak.
I told my wife that from now on, I will make a pot roast for them and the steaks are for me. It was rude and a bit crude to say it to her. But I did mean it.

Last edited:
How I wish I could get my wife and MIL to understand this.
I have purposely quit buying good steaks because they insist on well done.
Even a hint of pink will send them away from the table.

We were in Costco the other day and I bought only one pack of sirloin steaks. I left the NY Strip and Rib Eye's behind.
I am sick and tired of having to ruin a beautiful steak.
I told my wife that from now on, I will make a pot roast for them and the steaks are for me. It was rude and a bit crude to say it to her. But I did mean it.

I can't blame you. I feel the same way. I'm doing a beautiful boneless rib roast for Christmas dinner, and I have an eclectic group of 10 people, at least a couple of whom come from the school of thought that medium is barely cooked (and well done is better), yet I'll be danged if I'll ruin a 14 pound roast for them. I'll shoot for medium rare and they can fight over the end pieces.

Cook the roast to med rare. Folks who like their's well done (like half my family) can take their slices and stick them in the microwave for one minute. Everyone's happy this way. The microwaved slices even stay moist. :)

Cook the roast to med rare. Folks who like their's well done (like half my family) can take their slices and stick them in the microwave for one minute. Everyone's happy this way. The microwaved slices even stay moist. :)

We have a "well done" person too. He'll get the end slices.

We have a "well done" person too. He'll get the end slices.

My end slices are never enough. We have a bunch of "well done" people.

My daughter was telling me this story other day where she and her colleagues during a recent business trip to NY went to Peter Lugers for dinner. When she ordered her steak well done she told me the entire table went dead silent. :ROFLMAO:

If your roast is big enough, cut it in half before cooking and you'll have twice as many end slices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom