"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
Executive Chef

room temp and either grill (weber kettle with mesquite) or infrared broiler. seasoned with s&p and finished with an herb butter. Serve several steak sauces including 57 and London Pub (my fave)

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

My preferred method is Salt & Peppered over wood coals at 3 inches. Sear...rotate....flip to the other side...sear...rotate....raise to 18" to 24" above the fire to finish. Next is on a grill over lump coal using basically the same method with the only difference being moving it to a cooler portion of the grill to finish instead of raising it above the coals. There is something about finishing above the wood coals...the drips that fall like tiny bombs of flavor exploding and rising up to the meat.......

I'm hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, then over the grill. Can't remember the last time I cooked a steak on the stove or in the oven.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Head Chef

On the grill.
I like a garlic, seasoning salt and pepper butter slathered on each side before cooking.

Recently I tried a garlic, seasoning salt, smoked paprika, chipotle pepper powder
and Worchestershire powder butter. Very good too.

I used to marinate a lot, but now only do that with London broils or if I am going
for a certain dish, like fajitas.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I typically cook either sirloin strips or filet mignon. Occasionally, I do ribeye.

The filets (2" thick) get salted, peppered and seared in a HOT skillet then into the oven to finish. I don't like filet on the grill.

The others get oiled, salted and peppered and go on the grill.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #16
Head Chef

When it comes to steak I'm a purist. I want NOTHING on my steak except salt and pepper. I want it seared over very hot coals then finished on the cooler side of the grill. If I have to cook a steak indoors, I don't want it. Since I live in Vegas where the winters are very mild and it never rains, I can cook outdoors every day and that's where my steak belongs. Now I'm craving steak. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
fresh ground Black peper on both sides, put the griddle pan on the fire, get it very hot and throw the steaks on, turn mine over after a minute and wait another minute and remove it to a plate.
after this time I turn my wifes over and leave it for another few mins, and turn down the heat, hers takes about 12 mins, mine`s normally done to my liking after about 2 mins.
the juices that come out of mine whilst hers are cooking I pour into a cup and drink, then put my steak on the plate I`m going to eat off.

Then I will put the salt on at the table.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I do rib eyes on my grill outside. I take them out of the fridge an hour before grilling. I preheat my grill as hot as it will go. I think salt the steaks with kosher salt. The steaks go on the oiled preheated grates. After a minute or so I turn the head off directly under the steaks (yes I use gas). The grates are hot enough to give a great sear on the meat. I will turn then once to finish. Let rest and eat.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
Then I will put the salt on at the table.
That's interesting. Does it have a different taste doing it that way? Any reason??? :)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
When it comes to steak I'm a purist. I want NOTHING on my steak except salt and pepper. I want it seared over very hot coals then finished on the cooler side of the grill. If I have to cook a steak indoors, I don't want it. Since I live in Vegas where the winters are very mild and it never rains, I can cook outdoors every day and that's where my steak belongs. Now I'm craving steak. Thanks.
I am assuming you use wood only, then? Gas powered grills would have the same effect indoor :)

Tags
None