How do you cook your steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinemates

Senior Cook
I watched Food Network Challenge last night and I was completely surprised at all of the ingredients they added to their steak. Maybe I'm a purist, but things like marinating, dry rubs, and herbs are completely foreign to me with premium cuts of beef (NY, Rib Eye [the theme of the competition], Filet)

My process is the following:

1. Pull steaks from fridge and let them come to room temp
While they're sitting I add S&P/EVOO
2. About 5 minutes before getting room temp, I turn the oven to 375; heat the skillet up on medium
3. Sear the first side and when a nice crust forms, flip, add a pad of rosemary or garlic butter, and put in to the oven to finish. (About 3-5 minutes)

Best steaks in the world

Bit of oil in a frying pan. Add garlic. Put in steak. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce on the raw side. When colour starts to rise on side of steak, flip. Cook to rare to medium rare. Rest and serve with salad. All done in under five minutes.

I make mine pretty much like Bilby does.
Bring steaks to room temp and dry with paper towels.
Heat equal parts olive oil and butter in medium high ss pan. When butter foam begins to subside, place steaks in pan and don't fiddle with them.
I cover the pan with a thick splatter pan at this point.
If the steaks are 1" thick, I turn them at exactly 5 minutes and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes. (I know, I know, but I like my steak medium well.)
I immediately remove to a metal platter and season with salt and pepper and then let rest for 10 minutes covered with foil.
I pour off the excess oil and then deglaze the pan with red wine. When the wine has reduced by at least 1/2, remove from heat and swirl in butter.
Serve immediately with the steaks. This all takes about 15 minutes.

I don't like a lot of stuff on my steak either.
I've always grilled them except a while back when I was having trouble with the propane safety valve, then I pretty much did what you do, Stinemates. There was a big thread here about pan searing and sticking in the oven and I'm glad I read it.
It's not as "pretty" as a grilled steak, but it was defintely incredible tasting and tender. It has made a believer of me in this method.
And if I ever have a problem with my grill again, I just might cook it this way again :)

I prefer to cook mine out on the grill with some salt and pepper. When I get a decent cut of meat, I prefer enjoying the beef itself instead of adding a bunch of extra flavorings.

I mainly use my outdoor grill for steaks.

Salt, pepper or Montreal steak seasoning.

My marinade is red wine, garlic, thyme sprigs, peppercorns, evoo

there's lots of different cuts of steaks, but if we're talking about a really good piece like tenderloin, rib, or ny strip: room temp, just s&p, and then either onto the grill, under the broiler, or into the grill pan for 5 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness.

I use kosher salt and fresh pepper.

On the grill I use lump and hardwood. In the kitchen I use hot iron.

room temp and either grill (weber kettle with mesquite) or infrared broiler. seasoned with s&p and finished with an herb butter. Serve several steak sauces including 57 and London Pub (my fave)

My preferred method is Salt & Peppered over wood coals at 3 inches. Sear...rotate....flip to the other side...sear...rotate....raise to 18" to 24" above the fire to finish. Next is on a grill over lump coal using basically the same method with the only difference being moving it to a cooler portion of the grill to finish instead of raising it above the coals. There is something about finishing above the wood coals...the drips that fall like tiny bombs of flavor exploding and rising up to the meat.......

I'm hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL:

Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, then over the grill. Can't remember the last time I cooked a steak on the stove or in the oven.

On the grill.
I like a garlic, seasoning salt and pepper butter slathered on each side before cooking.

Recently I tried a garlic, seasoning salt, smoked paprika, chipotle pepper powder
and Worchestershire powder butter. Very good too.

I used to marinate a lot, but now only do that with London broils or if I am going
for a certain dish, like fajitas.

I typically cook either sirloin strips or filet mignon. Occasionally, I do ribeye.

The filets (2" thick) get salted, peppered and seared in a HOT skillet then into the oven to finish. I don't like filet on the grill.

The others get oiled, salted and peppered and go on the grill.

When it comes to steak I'm a purist. I want NOTHING on my steak except salt and pepper. I want it seared over very hot coals then finished on the cooler side of the grill. If I have to cook a steak indoors, I don't want it. Since I live in Vegas where the winters are very mild and it never rains, I can cook outdoors every day and that's where my steak belongs. :LOL: Now I'm craving steak. Thanks.

fresh ground Black peper on both sides, put the griddle pan on the fire, get it very hot and throw the steaks on, turn mine over after a minute and wait another minute and remove it to a plate.
after this time I turn my wifes over and leave it for another few mins, and turn down the heat, hers takes about 12 mins, mine`s normally done to my liking after about 2 mins.
the juices that come out of mine whilst hers are cooking I pour into a cup and drink, then put my steak on the plate I`m going to eat off.

Then I will put the salt on at the table.

I do rib eyes on my grill outside. I take them out of the fridge an hour before grilling. I preheat my grill as hot as it will go. I think salt the steaks with kosher salt. The steaks go on the oiled preheated grates. After a minute or so I turn the head off directly under the steaks (yes I use gas). The grates are hot enough to give a great sear on the meat. I will turn then once to finish. Let rest and eat.

When it comes to steak I'm a purist. I want NOTHING on my steak except salt and pepper. I want it seared over very hot coals then finished on the cooler side of the grill. If I have to cook a steak indoors, I don't want it. Since I live in Vegas where the winters are very mild and it never rains, I can cook outdoors every day and that's where my steak belongs. :LOL: Now I'm craving steak. Thanks.

I am assuming you use wood only, then? Gas powered grills would have the same effect indoor :)

Back
Top Bottom