"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,707
How do you cut up your flank steak for later use?

Flank steak isn't cheap. When you buy a slab of flank steak to cut up into strips to freeze for later use, do you cut with the grain or against the grain? I'm not talking beef jerky here, altho I've come to the conclusion that flank steak makes the best jerky. Forget jerky...do you cut against the grain or with it?

__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
One of the dishes I make with flank steak is a Chinese pepper steak. For this I need pieces 1/4" thick and 1.5"-2" long.

First, I cut 1.5"-2" wide strips with the grain. So I have four or five strips with the muscles fibers running the length of each strip.

Then I cut each strip into 1/4" slices across the grain.

With flank steak, it's important to shorten those muscle fibers as much as possible to minimize toughness.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,707
Cut with the grain, but then cut it into shorter pieces against the grain?
I have a big slap of flank steak ready to be cut. I normally just start cutting strips against the grain.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Cut with the grain, but then cut it into shorter pieces against the grain?
I have a big slap of flank steak ready to be cut. I normally just start cutting strips against the grain.
There's nothing wrong with that. Then you have long thin strips of meat cut across the grain. If you then cut each one into 2" long pieces, you're doing what I did in reverse order.

As I said, the key is to cut the muscle fibers into short pieces. You've done that.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Normally I cut thin slices, across the grain, on a bias.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
I try not to cut it until its been cooked. I would never cut it to serving size before freezing. Seems silly actually.
But against the grain on a bias is the preferred method around here. After it has been grilled.
If you cut with the grain, you are taking the chance it will be less tender.
So why take the chance. Slice thin against the grain on a bias!
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
I always cook the entire slab and save the leftovers for later use.....like for taco Tuesday. :)
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There's nothing wrong with that. Then you have long thin strips of meat cut across the grain. If you then cut each one into 2" long pieces, you're doing what I did in reverse order.

As I said, the key is to cut the muscle fibers into short pieces. You've done that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Normally I cut thin slices, across the grain, on a bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I try not to cut it until its been cooked. I would never cut it to serving size before freezing. Seems silly actually.
But against the grain on a bias is the preferred method around here. After it has been grilled.
If you cut with the grain, you are taking the chance it will be less tender.
So why take the chance. Slice thin against the grain on a bias!

We're talking about two different things here. Slicing a grilled/cooked flank steak for service vs. cutting up a piece of flank steak to be marinated and cooked (e.g. in a stir-fry).
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We're talking about two different things here. Slicing a grilled/cooked flank steak for service vs. cutting up a piece of flank steak to be marinated and cooked (e.g. in a stir-fry).
No, he said he was cutting it up before freezing. I wouldn't do that, either.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
I was comparing my comments to Craig's and RB's.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
steak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.