"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
The best burger I ever had, I got at a modern bistro over in france. It was perfectly medium rare and it was served on a very soft, fluffy, almost pancake like roll. It had traditional pesto, onion, and tomato confit! It was definatly the best I've ever had.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
one that`s really inportant is to make sure mince has enough Fat in it, at least 10%, otherwise they end up far to dry.
that's another thing bobby flay said on his burger throwdown show.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I use good quality 85% Lean ground chuck - lots of flavor.
Kosher Salt.
I make the patties big n' fairly thin (6" diameter/1/4" thick or so).
I grill briefly over very hot charcoal.

Lots of surface area enables it to cook through quickly and pick up lots of charcoal/smoke flavor. It also prevents them from turning into golf balls at the same time. The patty usually ends up about 1/2" larger in radius than the buns I use which is just perfect to my aesthetics.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
Senior Cook

My best burger so far uses 85% lean beef. I only add pinch of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, a dash of garlic powder, and a couple dashes of soy sauce. The most important thing for me is knowing when to take them off the heat. I wait until there are still some juices flowing out of the burger, but they are completely clear (no pink). When it reaches that point, I pull them off the grill and let them cool a little while I fix up the buns (which I will have already toasted).
Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

There are some foods I'm a traditionalist about - my pizza must have pepperoni, my mashed potatoes must *NOT* have garlic in them, and my burgers must be 100% ground chuck, cooked medium on the grill, with a toasted bun and nothing added except mustard, ketchup and pickles.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I thaw out a couple of Omaha Steaks burgers, let them get to room temperature, sprinkle them on both sides with a bit of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder (remember, onions give me big time agita!), toss them on the barbeque grill until medium, then place a slice of cheddar cheese on each burger. When they're done, I stack them two each and allow to rest while I toast a whole grain Roman Meal bun, apply a small amount of ketchup and mustard to the bottom half, add a small amount of thousand island dressing to the top half (enough so you can taste it, but not enough so that it squirts all over the place) put the stacked burgers, which are now fused together by the melted cheddar cheese, onto the bottom half of the bun, add a generous amount of hand leafed iceburg lettuce and a couple of slices of Roma tomato on top of the burgers, then put the top half in place and gently press down until I can fit it into my mouth!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #17
Head Chef

Same as steak... let your burger get to room temperature
before grilling it.
If you are mixing in flavorings, mix them in and let it marinate
for an hour at least. I do this in the fridge. Have to let those
flavors get to know each other!!
Don't mess with bread crumbs. A decent burger mix needs no
binder or filler. I like 15% minimum fat content.
Mine get Worchestershire, garlic, onion, seasoning salt and sometimes
some other goodies, depending on how I feel.
I also like thin patties, around 1/4 inch. Slap them on a hot grill and let
them cook until juices run out the top. Don't worry about flame up unless
it is excessive.
Flip them once and give them about 1 minute less than they had on the
first side.
Move to indirect heat and put the cheese on. Close the grill and let
the cheese melt a bit...... eat!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #18
Head Chef

My MIL recently bought me one of those patty makers, it forms the patty for you. It's pretty cool. MY DH likes his burgers made with

one egg
some breadcrumbs
worcester sauce or steak sauce
salt
pepper
garlic
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef

College cook is on the right track. The best burgers start with the best quality of meat. For example, after we trim all of the wagyu that we use at work, guess where all the scraps go? Yup, kobe sliders baby.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
Executive Chef

For my last meal, I will take the special that one of my co-workers did a few weeks ago. It was called "Loco Moco, Liver and Onions" and it was a Kobe beef hamburger steak with a quail egg and Marchand di Vin, and piece of seared foie gras with a confit of cipollini onions and chocolate-port sauce. That was an unbelievable dish, which was basically a play on two traditional comfort foods, one that's classic American and one that's unique to Hawaii. I offered to make him a foam for it but he declined.

Tags
None