"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How Long Do You Grill Steaks for?

It may seem a daft question but I have grilled steaks in the past but never really been sure if they were properly cooked.

How do you get them soft and tender?

Why does steak need less cooking than other meat like lamb for instance?

Old 05-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

not daft at all spoons. cooking steaks all depends on how thick they are and hot the grill is, so times are different.

the best way i've found to know how long to grill or broil a steak is to get used to poking it with your finger to see if it is still squishy, or is firming up. that is when it is going from rare, to medium rare, and don't blink because it'll soon be well done.
it'll take a few trials and errors, but you'll get a feel after a while. also, since you're not piercing or slicing the steak to see if it's done, no juices are running out on you.

put the steak on the grill for just a coupla minutes, flip it over and grill just a minute more. start poking. you'll feel how it will firm up. as soon as you notice a change, it has gone from raw, to rare, and is on it's way to medium rare already.
flip it again (i know, i know, you're only supposed to flip once, but this is for learning purposes), and keep poking every minute or so.

you'll eventually learn how firm medium rare feels, how medium-well feels, and so on when you slice into it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Tom

The steaks that I am going to grill this evening are 2 cm thick. I tend to cook them for about 15 mins altogether its post luck sometimes they are nice and tender but other times mostly dry, they seem to cook so quickly I worry if they really are cooked.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Spoons, many years ago, a friend of mine, from Belgium, gave me this recipe for a perfect grill of a steak: it's just a bit complexe, but it works....
1°) You must consider how thick is the meat. higher the meat, sweeter the grill (with discrection, of course).
2°) You must cook a steak for so many minutes by every side as much is the thickness in cm, One time to have it bloody, two times to have it normal, three times to have it well cooked.

Example: I have a steak 3 cm high, and I want it "normal". I grill in a medium-high heat for 3 minutes in a side, three minutes in the opposite side, and then three minutes again for each side.
This works well till....6 cm thickness? perhaps 7....
Of course, you have to regulate this "recipe" to your taste or to your grill, or how much wind you have, or something so, but it is a good start....
Old 05-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
Spoons, many years ago, a friend of mine, from Belgium, gave me this recipe for a perfect grill of a steak: it's just a bit complexe, but it works....
1) You must consider how thick is the meat. higher the meat, sweeter the grill (with discrection, of course).
2) You must cook a steak for so many minutes by every side as much is the thickness in cm, One time to have it bloody, two times to have it normal, three times to have it well cooked.

Example: I have a steak 3 cm high, and I want it "normal". I grill in a medium-high heat for 3 minutes in a side, three minutes in the opposite side, and then three minutes again for each side.
This works well till....6 cm thickness? perhaps 7....
Of course, you have to regulate this "recipe" to your taste or to your grill, or how much wind you have, or something so, but it is a good start....

My method is close to this too. For a 3cm (or about 1.5") Ribeye steak on my Weber gas grill I cook 4 minutes on each side on high direct, then 4 more on high indirect (with the top closed for all 3 segments)... Perfect medium rare every time...
Old 05-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Everymom

I go by the 2x2x2x2 method and it hasn't missed yet. Do the first side for 2 minutes, flip for 2, flip again (and do the crosshatch thing with the grill marks), and then for the last 2 minutes. Do this on high heat.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Get yourself an instant read thermometer. Insert it into the exact center of the steak at a 45 degree angle.

Rare = 120F (49C)
medium rare = 126F (52C)
medium = 135F (57C)
medium well = 145F (63C)
well done = 160F (71C)
Old 05-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Get yourself an instant read thermometer. Insert it into the exact center of the steak at a 45 degree angle.

Rare = 120F (49C)
medium rare = 126F (52C)
medium = 135F (57C)
medium well = 145F (63C)
well done = 160F (71C)
While this is the most boring, it's obviously the most accurate . . . . .
Old 05-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
How long do you grill pork and chicken skewers for?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
While this is the most boring, it's obviously the most accurate . . . . .
Yes, it is accurate, but I don't do it that way myself. I just throw it in the grill, and when it stops squirming, it's done!

Tags
None