How to cook a steak in the oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
Hey everyone. well im gonna go out and get a 1 inch cut of either prime rib or a t-bone steak depending on what the butcher has. i usually cook my steaks on the pan but today i want to try it in the oven. whats the method of doing this? im assuming i need to sear both sides before putting the steak in but i dont know for how long and at what temp. also do i need to flip the steak once in the oven? any help would be much appreciated, thnks!

The Grill like a restaurant link above is great. Read that and you will be fine.

Basically, sear the steaks on either side in a very hot skillet, saute pan etc for 1 minute to get a good crust. Then transfer them to a pre heated 500 degree oven into a pan (also pre-heated) and leave them for 8 minutes or so. No need to turn the steaks.

If your Saute Pan or skillet can be moved straight to the oven even better.

The main things to get right are the timing of the rest of the meal so you dont have to leave the steaks in the oven. Also, make sure you remove the steaks a little early as they will keep cooking in their own heat. I made that mistake.

Back
Top Bottom