How to cook Eye of Round Steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjanak

Assistant Cook
First I am a total newb. Even at 39. I assume a "steak" is simply at cut of beef from a roast, which inturn I assume is just how giant whole ports of beef are referred to. Like a rump or somthing. I can't grill as I don';t own an indoor grill and I live in an apartment. I've been making due with frying. Less than stellar but with a nice marinade, They are alright.

Anyway I bought four 1 inch slices of Eye of round. And yeah. They are circular.Eye of round Uhm. Go figure. I guess I'm wondering if the staeks can be roasted. I don't see why not. And if so, For how long and at what temperature.

Pete Janak

You might want to check out the Texas Beef Council's website. It is a great site to learn about the different cuts of beef, where they come from, and the best methods for cooking them - with complete information about each cooking method and some recipes. On the page on "Eye of Round" roasts and steaks page just scroll down to the section on steaks.

My mom's steaks are always juicy and perfectly cooked.
She's used the broiler for them since we helped take out Dad's built-in backyard BBQ grill back in '91.

I know for tri-tips, she cooks the steaks 7 min on each side with nothing but pepper, garlic salt and onion powder, for medium/medium well. I'd assume eye of round would be less time, as they are thinner than a tri-tip.

PS - I didn't read Michael's link yet, but rest assured, if he posted it, it's worth reading!

I tenderize them, and make chicken-fried steak and white gravy with the drippings! It is a favorite around here!

Hey all. Thanks for the fast response and definately I'll check out those links.
Pete

Hi pjanak.

You are correct, a 'steak' is a cut from a 'roast'.

But some cuts are more tender than the rest.

You might want to pick up a copy of Merle Ellis' book "Cutting up in the Kitchen".

It has been around for several years but is the best introduction to meat cuts I have seen.

You can usually pick one up on e-bay. Just saw one going for three bucks.

It discusses the various cuts of meat, which are the most tender, and will give you an idea which cuts of meat can be easily cooked as they are and which need marinating, braising, etc to make them tender.

Just a thought. Enjoy your steaks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom