"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to cut a Big Beef Tenderloin????

Forgive my ignorance, but I am a vegetarian and my husband typcially purchases individual steaks for cooking! We have a LARGE Beef Tenderloin in our freezer -- we are currently thawing it out, and want to cut it into individual steaks to grill. The piece is thick and is oblong shaped. Any advice on how to cut it prior to grilling???? It is an expensive piece of meat and we don't want to ruin it! Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A whole remderloin is typically a long tapered piece of meat. The bigger end can be used for a roast awhile the rest can be cut into pieces for steaks.

First remove any surface fat and silverskin. The silverskin is a thin tough layer of tendon or similar stuff that should be removed. Slip the tip of your knofe under the silverskin and slice just under the surface to remove the very thin offending layer.

You can cut the thin pointed end off and save it for a stir-fry or similar. Then take off two inch thick slices going towards the bigger end. You can slice steaks all the way to the end or stop and leave a roast.

Enjoy your steaks.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks, Andy! If we were to cut into 2" slices, how long would you grill for -- we have a gas grill. If I understand correctly, this should be served fairly rare??? :)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I would grill them over fairly high heat for no more that 4 minutes per side. It's difficult to be precise as grills are different and "fairly high" means different things to different people.

Your best bet is to use a meat thermometer (instant read type) to ensure proper doneness.

Tags
None