How to keep my four ribs of prime beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
I'd been planning a lunch with close friends, where I planned to do 4-rib prime beef roast. It was very expensive! I had the butcher hang it for 30 days, and I collected it two days ago, ready to go, but then they cancelled at the last moment. It's now in the freezer, waiting for the right moment. I'm furious about it but what can you do? At the moment it isn't totally frozen, so could you help me out with some advice: what about brining? should I do that and then freeze it, or the other way round? Should I just salt it? what would you do? Or should I simply invite other friends round? If you recommend brining, how would you brine it? Some people say you can brine meat with a marinade
with fruit juice and all sorts of exotic liquid. I think I would go for pure, good quality mineral water! All suggestions welcome!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Do not brine a prime rib! It is already a tender cut of meat. The aging has enhanced that beefy flavor. IMO, it doesn't need anything more than S&P. I personally would find a few other guests to invite and cook it NOW! I have never heard of anyone freezing a dry/wet aged, prime cut of beef. Don't you hear it calling you to be cooked and enjoyed?:LOL:

Last edited:
I would accept your invitation with alacrity! Thank You for the invitation. I do agree with Craig. Go ahead and cook it. when it has been beautifully and lovingly aged 30 days like that you really need to.

Take it out of the freezer and leave it in the open air to dry of the crystals that have formed. Once at room temp go ahead and cook it.

I hope your 'friends' had a good excuse for cancelling so late.

next find some more of your friends to help you eat it.

This winter, a friend of mine bought a very good 2lb, bone in rib roast (steak?) for me to roast for him and I..(the ladies wanted something else but, that's neither here nor there)

He had a mild heart issue and cancelled.. His wife put the roast in the freezer.. A month later he remember it and had me bring it home.. It went into my freezer until we could get together to have dinner together.. OK.. Too much background.. Get to the point, Ross..

I thawed that beautiful piece of beef and roasted it as I've always roasted a rib roast, with small adjustments due to size.. It came out perfect... Freezing did not harm it at all..

Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..

Ross

I'd leave it frozen until you're ready to enjoy it. No brining or marinade for such a great piece of meat. Defrost, salt, roast, enjoy!

Thank you for all the advice. It's made me realise that here in Italy they really don't understand what a four-rib prime beef for roasting means, and neither do they understand how it should be 'cured' over a period of time. This piece is big, and it was expensive and only cured for 30 days, where it would have been better if it had been cured (or hung) for 37 days. Nil disperandum. Heston Blumenthal cures his beef for 42 days!!. The next thing I need are marrow bones to make the 'jus' to accompany the roast. I'll have to go back to the butcher to get some!

My guests are professional chefs, and this is a challenge. I know They are in for a nice surprise, something that may make them think and ponder about about something outside of Italian food!

di reston

Thank you for all the advice. It's made me realise that here in Italy they really don't understand what a four-rib prime beef for roasting means, and neither do they understand how it should be 'cured' over a period of time. This piece is big, and it was expensive and only cured for 30 days, where it would have been better if it had been cured (or hung) for 37 days. Nil disperandum. Heston Blumenthal cures his beef for 42 days!!. The next thing I need are marrow bones to make the 'jus' to accompany the roast. I'll have to go back to the butcher to get some!

My guests are professional chefs, and this is a challenge. I know They are in for a nice surprise, something that may make them think and ponder about about something outside of Italian food!

di reston

The dinner sounds wonderful already... I wish you great success in making your guests smile while eating your wonderful rib roast... :)

I was just thinking of how disappointed you must have been when you were all geared up to do something special. I didn't mean to imply that freezing would harm it, I doubt very much that it would. So by all means, stick to your original plan and wait for them. and I would still love to come. LOL
I would gladly be your humble sous-chef

Professional chefs cancelling out on a prime rib roast feast. Shame on them. Surely they must know what a prime rib roast is.

Perhaps you can cut them down to 4 individual cowboy sized steaks, freeze them, and enjoy them as the occasion arises...

Last edited:
I have a feeling that all us DC folks would be there in a heartbeat if we lived closer.

No brine, just S&P. It will be fine in the freezer until you're ready to defrost and cook it.

I cooked a two bone RR a few weeks ago, it was heavenly.

Do you have access to some kind of vacuum sealing machine? That meat will freeze for months if you can keep air away from it.

I buy meat on sale, and vacuum seal it, and it freezes beautifully. No freezer burn.

CD

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to get a vacuum sealer, for the future, but I'm going to invite other guests anyway because I get the feeling they don't understand what a prime aged rib roast means.
Today it's baby lamb cutlets. Poor little things. I frequently feel guilty about this, and it makes me feel I've committed a crime. However, we'll pay honour to the sacrifice. On the other hand, they will be delicious and very tender. I'm an invetarate carnivore, so I pay the price with my conscience.

Happy Easter to all of you

di reston

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom