How to make a NY strip steak tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhoj

Assistant Cook
I would like to make New York Strip Stakes tender when doing them.

It seems as if my New York Strip are always tough and my wife has a hard time eating them.

There must be away to make them tender. We like them medium to medium done.

You can't really make it more tender. It would be easier if you bought a more tender cut such as rib eye or tenderloin.

A good NY Strip steak properly cooked to medium shouldn't be tough.

You might consider buying better quality meat or, like Andy suggests, a different cut like a tenderloin.

What about pounding it with a tenderizing hammer?

What about pounding it with a tenderizing hammer?

No!

Don't pound a nice cut like that. A tenderizing hammer is meant for tough cuts like round steak.

Like I said above, a properly cooked NY strip shouldn't be tough. It does not need mechanical tenderizing.

Better quality meat
Proper cooking (tell us how you cook it)
Buy a different type of steak

It seems as if my New York Strip are always tough and my wife has a hard time eating them.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking nhoj.I agree that in the future it would be best to buy something like a tenderloin filet. However, I read on another thread that your wife has ALS and it makes it difficult to chew.

I'm guessing that you already have these NY steaks, so yes I would pound them with a tenderizing hammer to make them more tender. As long as you both are not allergic to MSG, you can consider using some Adolf's meat tenderizer while doing that and then be sure to get them cooked immediately without letting them set.

As long as you both are not allergic to MSG, you can consider using some Adolf's meat tenderizer while doing that and then be sure to get them cooked immediately without letting them set.

I don't think Adolf's has MSG in it ..... the kind in the plastic shaker at least.

Its mostly salt. It tenderizes with enzymes. Better, IMO, than pounding it.

He could also marinate the steak with some fresh pineapple. Teriyaki maybe.

I have read in the posting on Chuck Roast about Kiwi would that work better?

All of you are so helpful here, not like some forum where you have some people that enjoys making fun of people and their questions.

Keep up the good work and you will have more people enjoying and asking questions, Thank-You

I don't think Adolf's has MSG in it ..... the kind in the plastic shaker at least.

Its mostly salt. It tenderizes with enzymes. Better, IMO, than pounding it.

He could also marinate the steak with some fresh pineapple. Teriyaki maybe.

You're so right Jenny....NO MSG in Adolf's and good to know.

I was about to delete my idea about it as I just read MSG is a big NO NO for people with ALS.

I always get a choice cut to begin with. My wife likes her's well done so after I sear her steak for a few minutes on both sides I wrap it in foil and keep it under very low indirect heat for at least half an hour. They usually come out tender for a destroyed piece of meat.

I have read in the posting on Chuck Roast about Kiwi would that work better?

All of you are so helpful here, not like some forum where you have some people that enjoys making fun of people and their questions.

Keep up the good work and you will have more people enjoying and asking questions, Thank-You

Kiwi, papaya, pineapple all have fruit enzymes that break down protein.

The Adolf's that Kayelle recommends is salt mixed with a dry form of the pineapple enzyme.

I recommended pineapple because it might be easier to find and work with. Maybe cheaper, too.

Maybe make up some teriyaki marinade and add some crushed fresh pineapple or kiwi or papaya during the last 2 hours of soaking to ensure it doesn't turn it mushy.

Also, tell us how you cook your steak !!:chef:

I most generally put steak on a Charcoal Grill and use direct heat and when I do chicken I use indirect heat.

This may not be the preferred way to eat a strip steak, what about
Yes to pounding and turning it into a Swiss Steak. Bake it covered with the sauce at a lower temp for a longer cooking time. It should come out nice and tender. I think. I forget what I use for Swiss steak, but I think this would work.

This may not be the preferred way to eat a strip steak, what about
Yes to pounding and turning it into a Swiss Steak. Bake it covered with the sauce at a lower temp for a longer cooking time. It should come out nice and tender. I think. I forget what I use for Swiss steak, but I think this would work.

This is a much better idea for a cheaper, tougher cut of beef.

I don't think you really want to turn a NY strip into Swiss steak ..... Or braise it ....

I mean you can, but you probably should just buy much cheaper beef to do that to.

Last edited:
I would certainly recommend marinating the NY steak. Even if for an hour. And second thing like Steve said, do not over cook. Marinade with something acidic, even if it is lemon juice based marinade for an hour. Cook medium high heat for about 5 minutes per side. Let it rest for 10 or so minutes. And for your wife slice very thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Sous Vide. Seal them in a bag, set the exact temp you want then cooked to, cook them a few hours and they will be very tender. You can actually cook them to the point of mushiness.

powerplantop Can you explain this in more detail? This really sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom