Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 rings smoked kielbasa - 1 ring chopped small for filling, 1 ring sliced into rounds for layers.
1 lg. onion - chopped fine
3 lg. cloves garlic - chopped fine
2 Tbls. Hungarian paprika - or to taste
1 Tbls. Dry parsley
1 Tbls. salt
1 Tbls. Ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. MSG (optional)
2 lg. cans Sacramento tomato juice
2 lg. bags sauerkraut, save juice
2 lg. heads cabbage

Par cooked rice - ¾ c. rice, 1 c. water and 1/2 tsp. salt - mix together, bring to boil. Turn off, cover and let sit while you prep the rest.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.

Core head of cabbage, place in boiling water and ladle water into core. BE VERY CAREFUL! Remove leaves as they separate and plunge into large bowl of ice and water. Save small center leaves. Drain leaves and remove center ribs from leaves. Chop ribs and small center leaves.

Make layers: Layer some of the sauerkraut, then a layer of chopped cabbage ribs and leaves and then a layer of sliced kielbasa rounds in bottom of lg. Dutch oven (or 2). (if you have any filling left over from the leaves layer it with the kraut and kielbasa layers)

Mix beef, pork, spices, 1 ring kielbasa (chopped small), onion, garlic and rice (save any liquid). Mix well.

Lightly pack a small handful of the meat mixture and place in the center of a cabbage leaf. Fold top part of leaf over mixture, then fold in the sides and roll until mixture is completely encased. Lay rolls on top of sauerkraut and sliced kielbasa layers in pot. Repeat the layers and rolls till pot is almost full. Ending with a kielbasa layer. Fill pot with the kraut juice and tomato juice (and any rice liquid).

Cover pot and simmer 1 - 1 ½ hours or until filling is completely cooked. Add more tomato juice if needed.

Oh, Wow! That's how I've always fixed my cabbage rolls, except for the addition of the Kielbasa, which sounds divine! Great recipe!

Oh, Wow! That's how I've always fixed my cabbage rolls, except for the addition of the Kielbasa, which sounds divine! Great recipe!
thank you. the kielbasa gives a nice hint of smoke to the dish. and the tomato juice keeps it light and not heavy like a sauce does.

if anyone tries this let me know if you liked it.

I learned at my Bubby's knee to make "halupchas"......Mix meat and cooked rice, more meat than rice.....make the bundles, layer as said, pour tomato juice over all then add either lemon or sour salt....hmmm, called ...something acid and a good handful of raisins, and some brown or white sugar. Taste after cooking for awhile and if needed adjust to be as sweet and sour as your taste buds tell you.....good eating!!!!! Always better the second day.

I learned at my Bubby's knee to make "halupchas"......Mix meat and cooked rice, more meat than rice.....make the bundles, layer as said, pour tomato juice over all then add either lemon or sour salt....hmmm, called ...something acid and a good handful of raisins, and some brown or white sugar. Taste after cooking for awhile and if needed adjust to be as sweet and sour as your taste buds tell you.....good eating!!!!! Always better the second day.
yes always better the next day!! you are the only other person i know of that uses tomato juice. it is so much better than tomato sauce.

Cabbage rolls

Strange....use tomato juice for the rolls, but when I make cabbage borscht, I use canned tomatoes....no raisins, but do put some potato cubes in it....., still the sweet and sour taste and love the "flanken" that makes it a meal in a soup bowl...LOL

Back
Top Bottom