"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I do have a freezer. In the past, I have purchased large cuts of beef from Sam's Club and cut it up myself before freezing. It will be nice to have all that meat in the freezer! I remember my parents would get a quarter cow and half a hog. We'd pick up the packages of meat from the butcher (who labeled and froze it for us) and pack it baskets wrapped up with the sleeping bags for the 3 hour drive home. We ate really well for long time. You could always tell when the supply was getting low. Dinner would become creamed salmon on toast! Or pancakes!
Let me know if it is too much beef for you. I'd love to buy some fresh meat from you!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

My parents used to order half-cows on a regular basis (we're a fairly large family and had a large chest freezer). One time she even insisted on having all of it, fat and bones included (usually they'd be butchered to order), and she rendered fat and used it instead of cooking oil & crisco (believe me, that smelled terrible during the process, but tasted delicious).

Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
Senior Cook

i've always had friends that will sell me venison that they kill. i need to find a good source for beef. does anyone know if any other large game is available whole, like bison?

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamark View Post
i've always had friends that will sell me venison that they kill. i need to find a good source for beef. does anyone know if any other large game is available whole, like bison?
My dad shot a bison once, several years ago. A very big one too. After it was processed he had 600 lbs of packaged meat. Steaks, roast, sausage, jerky, etc. He filled 2 upright freezers, gave away as much as he could, gave a bunch to the local food bank, etc. So just find a hunter that wants to get one. He'll likely give you some for free. Can you really use 600 lbs of meat?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
Head Chef

Bison here are raised like cattle (except they are kind of wild, require really tall fences, too!), except for those in Yellowstone! ha!
You buy it like beef... no one around here hunts for bison.
Where to Buy - National Bison Association

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Bison here are raised like cattle (except they are kind of wild, require really tall fences, too!), except for those in Yellowstone! ha!
You buy it like beef... no one around here hunts for bison.
Where to Buy - National Bison Association
Hmm, that's interesting. It wasn't a hunt in the sense that he went out and stalked one down. More of a ranch type hunt. And the theory of a fence for bison is interesting. Those big bulls are the size of an F-150!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
Head Chef

What do you mean by "theory?" Of course there are fences. They can jump vertically like CRAZY! There are bison ranches out here and you can tell because of their fences.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
What do you mean by "theory?" Of course there are fences. They can jump vertically like CRAZY! There are bison ranches out here and you can tell because of their fences.
All I mean is that I would like to see the fence that could contain a full grown bison! Like trying to fence in a tank. Of course if they have everything they need they really have no motivation to get out. And I think that's part of it.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #19
Head Chef

Then take a trip to a bison ranch. Yes, there are fences.
bison fencing - Google Search

Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

No one is disputing that there are fences.

Tags
None