"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
Head Chef

hey, he wanted to see a bison fence...
:)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Then take a trip to a bison ranch. Yes, there are fences.
bison fencing - Google Search
Wyogal, not trying to argue with you. I've been to the National Bison Range in Montana. They did have fences there (and they were tall and very stout), but I couldn't see them containing a 2000 lb animal that really wanted to get out.

jabbur, sorry for the threadjack!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
Head Chef

O.K. you're right.
I'm wrong.
No bison could ever be contained by a fence.
(I didn't really think this was an argument)
Yes, one can buy a side of bison like a side of beef. It's done here all the time. I'll be driving past a couple of bison ranches in a couple of days on my vacation.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #24
Master Chef

No Wyogal - YOU are the one who is correct.

For what it's worth, I have not one, but TWO bison farms in the immediate area - one a mere 7-8 miles down the road (Cibola Farms Bison & Buffalo). Has been around for quite a number of years with zero escapes. Fences aren't outrageously tall, but are VERY sturdy (think posts made from telephone poles - lol!).
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

Breezy are you TRYING to start a fight??? No one ever said there are not fences or that the fences do not contain bison. All that was said is that there is a doubt that the fences could hold in a bison who really wanted to get out. Since they have everything they need on the farm they have no motivation to try to break out. No one ever said they break out. It was just a question as to if they could if they really wanted to.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
Cupcake

Bison vs. Buffalo

I know that Bison are indigenous to the Americas and Buffalo live in Africa and Asia, but are there other differences? Also are bison meats similar enough to be completely interchangeable with beef?

Over the fourth of July, we had burgers made of what was said to be buffalo meat, and I thought they were delicious. From what I see online, it seems that bison have less unhealthy fat than beef. It's totally awesome to buy the cow! I especially like the idea that I could find a farm that I might trust to raise the animal without negative factors. I'd be bouncy if I had one coming!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had a few bison burgers and can't honestly say I noticed a difference in taste from beef. I would say it's interchangeable with beef in just about any application.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

I have had a few bison burgers too and have not enjoyed them. I do taste a difference. It is not a huge difference and if bison burgers were the only option then I could eat one and enjoy it, but I enjoy the flavor of beef much more and will always pick that over buffalo given the choice.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #29
Head Chef

You can wiki the difference... the "true" buffalo and bison are indeed different. I think someone early on misnamed what they saw, calling them buffalo. not sure. haven't looked it up myself.
My husband and sons like bison meat. It's leaner and purported to be healthier. I haven't really tried much of it. I know folks that only eat wild meat or bison for their red meat intake. Quite a few freezers around here hold elk, deer, antelope, some moose.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #30
Master Chef

Bison is definitely interchangeable with beef recipes so long as you always keep one cardinal rule always in mind: It is VERY VERY lean meat. Thus, unless you're braising it (like a stew, chili, or pot roast), you need to cook it relatively quick & rare. A well-done bison steak is like shoe-leather. As far as bison burgers (or meatloaf) go - I like them very much. Definitely a different flavor from beef. When I make them though, I always add a dollop or two of extra-virgin olive oil to the ground meat to avoid the dryness that can occur due to so little natural fat.

Tags
None