"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
Master Chef

I feel like a rock star who's gone comercial.

Actually, this recipe was an experiment, and came out pretty darned good. So ya wanna know what it is? Do ya? Do ya?

Well alright then. Here's the blow-by-blow, with a recipe to boot.

I was in one of my experimental moods this evening, but not real ambitious. And I haven't been grocery shopping yet for this pay period. So I looked int hte pantry, spotted a large can of tomato sauce, and decided to go with it. I also knew I had a pound of frozen ground beef handy. So I thought "meat-loaf". But wait, my wife doesnt' like meat-loaf. And I was now hungry for it. "Gasp!" What to do? What to do?

But wait a minute again. I've made meat loaf that she raved about. It wasn't standard meatloaf, and I just knew I could do it again.

So here's the experimental recipe that came out pretty darned good. I'll call this one, "Tastes Like Taco Bell made it Meatloaf"

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1/8 cup farina (Cream of Wheat)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 large egg.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Place into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 385 degrees for an hour, or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Now here's the best part. Take the remaining tomato sauce (about a cup and a half), add about a half cup of Splenda or sugar, and 3 tbs. mollases. Then add about an 8th tsp. cloves to the mix and get it hot. Stir well. Add a few drops liquid smoke. This sauce came out truly wonderful. I now have a sugar free replacement for ketchup. It also has enough character to be transformed easily into barbecue sauce, or a host of other tomato-based concoctions, like sloppy joes or something.

What more can a man ask for after a hard-day's work; easy, cheap, good tasting food, and a great faimly. Yehhhhhhhh.

I'm a happy man tonight.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Sounds great, and you are a wonderful story teller!
I particularly like it's name: "Tastes like Taco Bell made it" Meatloaf

Old 05-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Head Chef

Took me a minute to get past the "Splenda" but with sugar it looks great!

Tags
None