I need a recipe for New York Strip Steak (bone in)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly

Assistant Cook
Hello all & Happy New Year :chef:. I have bone in New York Strip Steak for New Years Eve and I have no idea how to cook them. Can someone please help me with some recipes. Thanks so much
Kelly

Best bet would be to grill them. If that's not an option, pan sear them and finish in the oven.

Best bet would be to grill them. If that's not an option, pan sear them and finish in the oven.

Excellent ideas Kelly...Yum!!

N.Y. Strips are normally boneless....Is that what the package says??? "Bone-In N.Y. Strip Steak"?? It really doesn't matter as to cooking methods, I'm just curious.....

Enjoy!

I see bone-in NY Strips in my grocery store. I think they are $2 cheaper than boneless.

Thanks Jeekinz! That's interesting. N.Y. Strip Steaks with the bone attached are called T-bone or Porterhouse Steaks here. Maybe the local butches are being creative with the saw by sawing off the filet portion, and a portion of the bone. Then selling the filet at filet prices.:ohmy:

I had one in Michael Jordan's Steak House. They call it a Kansas City Strip.

UB, It's truly a half a porterhouse, without the filet section. I suppose the other side is a bone-in filet...

Hi Uncle Bob They are "bone in" NY strip they were on sale at the local grocery store. I hope they are good.

I will pan sear them but how long and what temp in oven? Thanks Andy they are about 3/4-1" thick

Hi Uncle Bob They are "bone in" NY strip they were on sale at the local grocery store. I hope they are good.

They will be!! Just cook them like Andy suggested above, and don't over cook. Medium Rare to Medium would be the range I personally would shoot for!!

Enjoy & Happy New Year!!!

That thin, they don't need to go into the oven. You can sear them then finish cooking on the stovetop at a lower temp.

If you have an instant read thermometer, you can cook to a temperature to ensure it's cooked the way you want.

I had one in Michael Jordan's Steak House. They call it a Kansas City Strip.

UB, It's truly a half a porterhouse, without the filet section. I suppose the other side is a bone-in filet...

That's what I was thinking Andy. Really it's all it could be unless the retailer is getting very fast and loose with his labeling, which wouldn't surprise me.
Bone-in filet:LOL: Now that would be a sight to behold!! They must be just sawing them off. Then again, the first cuts of T-bone have very little or somtimes no filet meat. I guess they could just saw the bone off, and Ta Daaaaaa! Bone in N.Y. Strip or, Bone-in K.C. Strip. That's called meat merchandising which translates into $$$$$$$.

Anyway...Enjoy your Steaks Miss Kelly! It's a great cut of beef regardless of the name!!

Fun!.......

Thanks Jeekinz! That's interesting. N.Y. Strip Steaks with the bone attached are called T-bone or Porterhouse Steaks here. Maybe the local butches are being creative with the saw by sawing off the filet portion, and a portion of the bone. Then selling the filet at filet prices.:ohmy:

I don't understand why they do it other than maybe laziness. The meat department usually has them bone in or out and also the other cuts you mentioned.

I also don't understand the paper thin cuts either. I mean, who really wants a 1/4" NY Strip? You can't even grill the darn thing.:ermm:

:chef: Thank you all at that thin hubby gets 2 I think I got them at $4.99 a lb so 5 steaks $17 and change regular price $35 and change I think I paid for the bones :ermm:

I don't understand why they do it other than maybe laziness. The meat department usually has them bone in or out and also the other cuts you mentioned.

I also don't understand the paper thin cuts either. I mean, who really wants a 1/4" NY Strip? You can't even grill the darn thing.:ermm:

I would say laziness is never the driving force behind what a meat market does. Or maybe it would be the exception, not the rule. In a retail (any business) enviroment everything is profit $$$ driven! In a meat market it's "Sell it or Smell it" This is what causes, IMO, some of the creative names for pieces of meat. Anything to tantilize the comsumer into buying. In the case of bone-in N.Y. Strips they could be doing this...A 1 lb Porthouse is $8.00 per pound. If you cut off a 6 oz. filet at $22.00 lb. ($8.25) that would leave you with a "bone-in" N.Y. Strip weighing 10 oz. @ 7.00 lb. ($4.38) Total $12.63 vs. the $8.00. The weights & prices are just for simple explanatoin, but you can see how this process could increase extra dollars (profit) in the cash register with out much addtional labor or material costs.

1/4 in Steaks?? Lets say the meat market displays some 1" thick Steaks. (of any kind) Lets assume they over-cut the item and the sell by date is 1 day out. Yikes!! Pull the steaks from the counter, put them on the saw, and cut them 1/2 into. Ta Daaa! Now you have two steaks with a lower sticker (shock) price! Out the door they go!! Whew! Or sometimes a market will display a thin cut and label it "breakfast steak"!! Cook it hot and fast for breakfast! ;)

jeezinz.... I don't knw if you are quoting me on the 1/4 inch steaks but the ones I bough are 3/4 to 1" I would have put them back if they were that thin;)

Hello all & Happy New Year :chef:. I have bone in New York Strip Steak for New Years Eve and I have no idea how to cook them. Can someone please help me with some recipes. Thanks so much
Kelly

Miss Kelly I hope you got the answers you wanted. Sometimes we(I) get a bit "off topic" Sometimes people just want to know what time it is...Not how to build a Watch!:LOL: Anyway, Enjoy your Steaks!!!

jeezinz.... I don't knw if you are quoting me on the 1/4 inch steaks but the ones I bough are 3/4 to 1" I would have put them back if they were that thin;)

Naaah. Just had a tantrum. :LOL:

I buy the ones you bought all the time.:chef:

Here's a simple way that is practically fool proof.

Dry room temperature steaks completely with paper towels.

Heat 1 1/2 tsp. of butter and 1 1/2 tsp. of good quality olive oil in a skillet or saute pan over medium high heat. When the butter is melted and the butter foam is starting to subside, place steaks in pan, being careful not to move them once you put them in. At this point, I cover the pan with a splatter guard.

Set timer for 4 minutes. When timer goes off, quickly turn steaks and set timer for 4 more minutes.

When timer goes off, remove steaks to a metal platter and quickly season with salt and pepper and then cover with tin foil to rest.

Pour off excess oil, reserving brown bits. Add red wine to pan, about twice the amount of sauce you want to end up with. Reduce wine by half while scraping and deglazing pan.

When reduced, remove pan from heat and swirl in butter. Depending upon how much wine there is in the pan, add butter tablespoon by tablespoon until it is incorporated and has the desired consistency.

Pour into a sauce boat and serve immediately with the steaks.

Last edited:
:sick::sick::sick:
First let me start there.
The steaks were awful full of grizzle ( I can chew through anything ) the cooking teqniques offered by all of you were great, the cuts of meat HORRIBLE. I should have brought back to S...& S... and said here you try and chew it. They were not over cooked just plain :sick: .
My stuffed mushrooms were awesome roasted baby reds and shrimp cocktail also some hot appetizers later in the night, at least we didn't go hungry ;)
Thanks for your help
I going to try and find a butcher
Kelly

Back
Top Bottom