Ideas For Cubed Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I've got about 3 or 4 pieces of cubed steak that I want to use for supper. What can I do with it other than fry it & serve with gravy?

We had this for dinner last night over egg noodles.

Cube Steak in Tomato Sour Cream Sauce

1 1/2 Lb Cube Steak
2 Tb Olive Oil
2 C Sliced Onions
4 C Sliced Mushrooms
1 C Sour Cream
12 Oz V8 (or tomato) Juice
TT Salt and Pepper

Heat a skillet or fry pan and add the oil. Sear the steak on both sides and remove. Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the sour cream and V8 juice and stir until the sauce comes to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the meat and any accumulated juices and cook until the meat is heated through.

a simple salisbury steak has the onions and mushrooms, tablespn of flour, plus beef broth, tomato paste, maybe a nice pour of red wine. otherwise the recipe and method is much the same as Andy's above. serve with mashed potatoes

a simple stroganoff might be similar to Andy's without the tomato juice (just the onions, mushrooms and sour cream) and a bit more pepper and fresh parsley serve with noodles

lots of stuff to do with a simple cut of meat

Thanks Robo!:) I've had cubed steak grilled once, seasoned with just some seasoned salt & it was wonderful. I'd do that tonight but hubby didn't like it.

Cube Steak Dijon

You can adjust this to suit the amount of steak you have.

2-12oz cube steaks
1/4 stick of butter
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/3 cup dry vermouth
1/2 cup whipping cream or half and half
2 tbsp whole grain dijon mustard

season steaks with salt and pepper
melt 1 tbsp butter in heavy skillet over med-high. Add steaks. Cook until browned, turning once. remove.

Melt 1 tbsp butter in same skillet. Add shallots and sage. Saute until soft. Add vermouth and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in cream and mustard. Reduce heat to med low. Simmer until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon sauce over steaks and enjoy.

Last edited:
LOL oops, yes it is. I am going to blame my fat fingers (as my grandpa would say) on that typo :angel:

I will edit that now.

Glad you liked it. My ex used to make this. The recipe came from a church cookbook. These many years later I remembered the dish and recreated it.

Hubby was a little skeptical at first, he dosen't like to stray from the ordinary too much, but he had 2nds & took what was left to work for lunch today. We had it over rice & green beans on the side.

I know you got what you were looking for. But just another idea to add the the very nice list of recipes you already have.

Lightly sprinkle the cubed steaks with S & P. Dip in egg wash, then dredge in flour. You can season the flour to your liking. Then fry in hot oil until the crust just starts to brown. Place on a cookie sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes more. Serve with a mushroom gravy and Worscestershire sauce. Sides could be oven fried potatoes with oregano, basil, and garlic, and your family's favorite veggies. Or brown rice would be a good starch to have with the gravy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom