"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
Master Chef

Ideas for filet mignon??

I can't figure out what to do with them. They always come out tough and dry. Any easy suggestions? I don't want to have to go back to the store.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

A simple moisturizer is 1 or 2 butterfly cuts and insert a nice strip af bacon in each b/fly cut. If you season normally you might not want to use salt in your seasoning due to the bacon will provide a comfortable amount. This is just a tip I have seen around for years. It tastes awesome.

Earlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Master Chef

Look for USDA choice as a minimum. Don't by USDA Select as it is a drier, more tough piece of meat. Also, sear the steak on the grill, under the broiler, or in a very hot and dry cast-iron pan. Avoid over-cooking. That is what dries out meat the most.

Fillet Mignon is often wrapped with bacon to add flavor and improve the texture. The bacon is secured with toothpicks. You can also brine them to add moisture, but this dilutes the natural beef flavor, which is lacking in the cut as it is.

Another way to improve the "mouth feel" is to serve with a sauce ladled over the top, be it a gravy, your favorite steak sauce, or some similar condiment. You can also place slices of fresh avocado on top, or a grilled portabella mushroom cap, or a tomato slice, or even a cooked artichoke heart.

Do a google-search for "tournedo recipe". You will find several recipes, all claiming to be the original recipe. But in any case, they will give you ideas about how to prepare this French classic.

Personally, I much prefer a good rib steak, bone on, to a fillet mignon. It is about as tender and has far superior texture and flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks guys!!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Another thought:
Any time you get any meat from the store, ask the butcher!
I've gotten the best ideas from them!
Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Personally, I much prefer a good rib steak, bone on, to a fillet mignon. It is about as tender and has far superior texture and flavor.
amen to this. Filets are too much trouble to get just right.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

Also, if you like your steak anything above rare, the tenderloin (or filet) is the wrong cut for you. They need to be prepared quick and hot and remember to not cut into it for at least 5 minutes (10 is better) after you take it off the grill or out of the pan. If it's a really thick cut, you may be able to get away with medium rare but then again, it's harder to hit the right time on that doneness.
:) jmediger
Old 10-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Head Chef

OR ... if you have already cooked and ruined them, they make really good chunks for beef stroganoff and do soften right back up if you let them sit in the sauce for a good while.
:) jmediger
Old 10-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks for everyones help!!
Yea, I know that a steak is alot better, but, I like a change every once in a while from the ordianry. Even a challenge :o)
I love sirloins myself.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I usually make filet mignon in a cast iron pan then finish in the oven. I first saute some onions, remove those, then add the filet's to sear then, throw the onions back in and then add worster sauce and finish in the oven, along with roasted potatoes that also have worster sauce and sauteed onions. The worster sauce keeps the steaks moist and adds alot of flavor without taking away from the beef flavor.

Tags
None