"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Ideas please - eye of round roast

I'm tired and my brain is on hesitate right now. I have a 2-pound beef eye of round roast and I'm just drawing a blank with how to prepare it.

Anyone have a TNT recipe for what I can turn it into? Nothing on the grill outside. I'm just not up to that right now, so let's keep it in the kitchen.

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

Coat with your favorite seasoning, pre-heat oven to 500 F, cook for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 200 F and cook 1 hour per pound! This should yield a medium-rare roast. Serve with favorite sides.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ideas please - eye of round roast

Also, look up some of MsMofet's recipes. She cooks eye round a lot.

I usually just throw mine in the CP with whatever seasonings and vegetables I have on hand.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Coat with your favorite seasoning, pre-heat oven to 500 F, cook for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 200 F and cook 1 hour per pound! This should yield a medium-rare roast. Serve with favorite sides.
Sounds good...and easy, Craig. Right now easy is my primary method of attack for everything. I'll get more adventuresome when I get more rest.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Head Chef

The hot oven method is good, but I'd never blindly trust the time the roast sits in the turned off oven. Rather, I use a wired temp probe thermometer to alert me when the interior has reached my desired temp.

Here's a good simple quick way to cook eye of round roasts.

https://thedomesticman.com/2012/01/1...f-round-roast/
Old 02-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
Wine Guy

At the risk of sounding negative, I've never found eye of round to have very much flavor. It's such a lean cut that I would think you would have to use a ton of seasoning or cook it in some type of sauce to make it taste like anything.

Even Lynne Rossetto Casper claims it's "unredeemable," which is odd coming from her:
https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...e-cuts-of-meat

Admittedly, I haven't bought EoR for many years (possible even decades), and some of you seem to like it, so perhaps I just need to go back and revisit it again.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Master Chef

The best eye of round I've had was made into corned beef, then sliced thin for sandwiches. Here's a link to a good corning recipe that I've used - Homemade Corned Beef | SimplyRecipes.com The process is very easy, but takes a few days. I let my beef sit in the brining solution for w weeks. The corned beef can be slow roasted in the oven, or on the grill, or cooked in the crock pot, or gently braised until tender. The fastest method for cooking it is in a pressure cooker for about 35 minutes. Then slice thin for sandwiches, or dice and add to diced potato to make your own corned beef hash, or cube and use it for boiled dinner, or just slice and eat. Any way you present it, it's delicious.

If you dont't have access to all of those spices in the linked recipe, simply use a jar of ready made pickling spices from the grocers, or spice shop. It won't be as unique, but it's still very tasty.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Eye of round makes for good minute steak besides a roast because of it's size.

Slice it an inch thick per steak, pound them out, then jaccard (the crap out of them).

Pounded out and stabbed, they're just the right size for sammiches.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Eye of round makes for good minute steak besides a roast because of it's size.

Slice it an inch thick per steak, pound them out, then jaccard (the crap out of them).

Pounded out and stabbed, they're just the right size for sammiches.
I prefer 45 second stakes myself.

By the way, how's your boy. Have you taught him to fly fish yet? I'm thinking a 5-weight pole, fast action, with a shooting line, some number 4 tippet, and a midge fly, so he can hook into a bull shark in that tiny river that flow into the eastern big pond. Don't worry if it's too much fish for him. You can just reach down and get a thumb and finger pinch grip on the lower critter's jaw and haul him onto the bank. You can do it!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

We also use the electric meat slicer and slice it paper thin, still partially frozen, and use it to make marinated carpaccio or Philly cheesesteak type sammies.

Tags
ideas, roast