Ideas please - eye of round roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I'm tired and my brain is on hesitate right now. I have a 2-pound beef eye of round roast and I'm just drawing a blank with how to prepare it.

Anyone have a TNT recipe for what I can turn it into? Nothing on the grill outside. I'm just not up to that right now, so let's keep it in the kitchen.

Thanks.

Coat with your favorite seasoning, pre-heat oven to 500 F, cook for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 200 F and cook 1 hour per pound! This should yield a medium-rare roast. Serve with favorite sides.

Last edited:
Also, look up some of MsMofet's recipes. She cooks eye round a lot.

I usually just throw mine in the CP with whatever seasonings and vegetables I have on hand.

Last edited:
Coat with your favorite seasoning, pre-heat oven to 500 F, cook for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 200 F and cook 1 hour per pound! This should yield a medium-rare roast. Serve with favorite sides.

Sounds good...and easy, Craig. Right now easy is my primary method of attack for everything. I'll get more adventuresome when I get more rest.

At the risk of sounding negative, I've never found eye of round to have very much flavor. It's such a lean cut that I would think you would have to use a ton of seasoning or cook it in some type of sauce to make it taste like anything.

Even Lynne Rossetto Casper claims it's "unredeemable," which is odd coming from her:
https://www.splendidtable.org/story/eye-of-round-is-one-of-the-few-unredeemable-cuts-of-meat

Admittedly, I haven't bought EoR for many years (possible even decades), and some of you seem to like it, so perhaps I just need to go back and revisit it again.

Last edited:
The best eye of round I've had was made into corned beef, then sliced thin for sandwiches. Here's a link to a good corning recipe that I've used - Homemade Corned Beef | SimplyRecipes.com The process is very easy, but takes a few days. I let my beef sit in the brining solution for w weeks. The corned beef can be slow roasted in the oven, or on the grill, or cooked in the crock pot, or gently braised until tender. The fastest method for cooking it is in a pressure cooker for about 35 minutes. Then slice thin for sandwiches, or dice and add to diced potato to make your own corned beef hash, or cube and use it for boiled dinner, or just slice and eat. Any way you present it, it's delicious.

If you dont't have access to all of those spices in the linked recipe, simply use a jar of ready made pickling spices from the grocers, or spice shop. It won't be as unique, but it's still very tasty.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Eye of round makes for good minute steak besides a roast because of it's size.

Slice it an inch thick per steak, pound them out, then jaccard (the crap out of them).

Pounded out and stabbed, they're just the right size for sammiches.

Eye of round makes for good minute steak besides a roast because of it's size.

Slice it an inch thick per steak, pound them out, then jaccard (the crap out of them).

Pounded out and stabbed, they're just the right size for sammiches.

I prefer 45 second stakes myself.:LOL:

By the way, how's your boy. Have you taught him to fly fish yet? I'm thinking a 5-weight pole, fast action, with a shooting line, some number 4 tippet, and a midge fly, so he can hook into a bull shark in that tiny river that flow into the eastern big pond. Don't worry if it's too much fish for him. You can just reach down and get a thumb and finger pinch grip on the lower critter's jaw and haul him onto the bank. You can do it!:mrgreen:;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We also use the electric meat slicer and slice it paper thin, still partially frozen, and use it to make marinated carpaccio or Philly cheesesteak type sammies.

I love eye round. It's the only cut I use for roast beef dinner. Always turns out tender and wonderful flavor.

My EX MIL always used eye round for rare roast beef. At first I thought it would be to tough for an oven roast. But rare to medium rare and cut thin produced a great roast beef. Even better cold.

My grandmother and my old man are of Cuban decent and they make one that is braised on the cook top.
They would make a hole down the very middle of the eye and insert whole skinned (if it had skin) dried type chorizo sausage into the center. Then braise. Not sure if they used beer water or stock though. But was infused with lots of onions and garlic.
They called it bollichy. Pardon the spelling.

The remaining juice was thickened and served over thin slices and served with black beans and rice and whatever else was on hand.
It was very good and I always asked my grandma to make it for me when I was in Key West.

My EX MIL always used eye round for rare roast beef. At first I thought it would be to tough for an oven roast. But rare to medium rare and cut thin produced a great roast beef. Even better cold.

My grandmother and my old man are of Cuban decent and they make one that is braised on the cook top.
They would make a hole down the very middle of the eye and insert whole skinned (if it had skin) dried type chorizo sausage into the center. Then braise. Not sure if they used beer water or stock though. But was infused with lots of onions and garlic.

The remaining juice was thickened and served over thin slices and served with black beans and rice and whatever else was on hand.
It was very good and I always asked my grandma to make it for me when I was in Key West.
Boliche... I didn't realize it was made with eye of round, but you are right. In addition to the Chorizo stuffing, I've found some recipes that call for braising it in red wine with lots of green olives and garlic.

Yeah, I might have to try that.

Boliche... I didn't realize it was made with eye of round, but you are right. In addition to the Chorizo stuffing, I've found some recipes that call for braising it in red wine with lots of green olives and garlic.

Yeah, I might have to try that.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. No dried chorizo here. Maybe I can find some in the Mexican market.
I will do the wine thing also. Sounds pretty good, even though I prefer rare roast beef.

I use leftover eye for roast beef hash or cheese steak sandwiches.

Interesting. I recently braised an eye round roast in the pressure cooker. It had good flavor but was dry as a bone. It's a very lean cut.

Interesting. I recently braised an eye round roast in the pressure cooker. It had good flavor but was dry as a bone. It's a very lean cut.
One of the Boliche recipes I came across calls for stuffing the roast with Mexican Chorizo (versus the dried Spanish version that other recipes call for). I'm wondering if the fat from the Chorizo will actually infuse into the meat as it cooks.

I've never been a fan of eye of round, either. I just need one recipe to change my mind. Maybe this will be the one.

One of the Boliche recipes I came across calls for stuffing the roast with Mexican Chorizo (versus the dried Spanish version that other recipes call for). I'm wondering if the fat from the Chorizo will actually infuse into the meat as it cooks.

I've never been a fan of eye of round, either. I just need one recipe to change my mind. Maybe this will be the one.

Maybe. I added high quality lard in an effort to make it less dry. It helped with the mouthfeel, but the meat itself was still dry. I like eye round as a rare roast beef, but I don't think it works well as a braise. Let us know your thoughts after you make it.

When made into corned beef, eye of round is cooked to just past medium rare, about 140', the sliced thin for sandwiches, or to pile on a plate with an accompany sauce. Over cook it and just like brisket, the meat becomes tough and dry. Cooked properly, it goes so well with a good, full-bodied Swiss Cheese

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Back
Top Bottom