"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCue
Wow, you guys are really helpful!

Candocook, thanks for the link!

IC, if I need to pre-cook the well done fillets to 110-115, should I roast them in the oven after searing. What pre-cooking temp for the med rare?Thanks for thre suggestions on the sides. I was afraid of anything with competing with the wellingtons. Plus I have some fussy eaters (or as I call them- PIAs). I was thinking a little truffle oil to finish the mashed potatoes. I make roasted root veges with butternut squash often so that's out, but the asparagus is sounding good. My experience with sauce is very limited. I'll probably end up making a veal stock and doing a semi-demi with the stock and red wine. Or maybe the bernaise. I like Jimmy's suggestion of your truffle oil infused bernaise. Do I just add the oil to taste at the end?

Jimmy- I'm definitley making the lobster mashed potatoes when I have a crowd who'll appreciate them... or maybe I'll just eat them ALL myself!
If you're doing the tenderloin whole, then in the oven. If cut into steaks, then on the stovetop. For the asparagus, I forgot to mention to also finish it with a drizzle of olive oil and a little fresh squeezed lemon. Sauteed rapini or broccolini would work too. For the truffle oil, yeah you'd drizzle it in at the end, off the heat. Or, you could sauce the Wellingtons and drizzle it over the finished dish.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
Head Chef

McCue: I was following your original post thinking you really had it together until I saw mashed potatoes and green beans. I hope you're going to make something special of them so they don't feel out of place on the table with the beef wellington. Of course the people who want well done can always fill up on mashed potatoes.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Sous Chef

McCue--lissen up!! I have THE thing for your vegetarian friends that is an equally WOW factor and you can do it ahead!!
Look at Emeril's Christmas show and do the vegetable terrine. It is so totally beautiful, and it has to taste good as well. PLEASE do it!!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Candocook,
That is a fabulous recipe... made it last year as an appetizer and it was a big hit with the whole gang. It's a pretty dish too! I'm making more and more non-meat dishes these days and the meat eaters gobble them up (while the vegetarians glare at them...lol.)
Thanks for the link, though. I really do appreciate your thinking of me and my vegetarians . If you come across anything else interesting, please send me the link as I try to vary my menus all year.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Then how about a blue cheese (spinach) lasagna!
Blue Cheese Lasagna - Recipes - Food Network Canada
Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Then how about a blue cheese (spinach) lasagna!
Blue Cheese Lasagna - Recipes - Food Network Canada

This does look like fun. Thanks for the link!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Hey McCue, you might even want to alter your wellingtons. These look beautiful--and delicious.
Individual Beef Croustades with Boursin & Mushrooms
Old 12-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
The two traditional sauces served with Wellington are Bernaise or Madeira. I like to make sauce Marchand de Vin. Another good sauce would be Sauce Perigeaux.
Sauce Perigueux IS Madeira Sauce.... but, of course, all Madeira Sauce is not necessarily Perigueux! Properly made, it is one of the best tasting sauces ever... imo.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Sauce Perigueux IS Madeira Sauce.... but, of course, all Madeira Sauce is not necessarily Perigueux! Properly made, it is one of the best tasting sauces ever... imo.
So that no one is confused, the base of sauce Perigueux can be basically sauce Madeira, but what makes is different is that black truffles are added. Perigueux refers to "in the style Perigord", which is a region known for their black truffles. Sometimes foie gras is also added to sauce Perigueux. Not all sauce Perigueux is a true Madeira in that although Madeira wine is used, the sauce is sometimes prepared a little differently starting from the aromatics and ending with the herbs being added. To me, they are two different sauces because of their flavor. It would be like saying that Sauce Paloise or Sauce Maltaise is a Hollandaise. It's a derivitive of Hollandaise, but it is not necessarily Hollandaise which tastes different from any of it's derivitives.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Wink

Hi everyone,
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!
Christmas dinner was wonderful. The Wellingtons turned out superb, served with a Madeira sauce. And the vegetarians enjoyed Alaskan wild salmon Wellingtons (duxelles and artichoke filling) with a white wine cream sauce.

Hor D'ourvres: Eggplant/red pepper stromboli; pan-fried onion dip (i know, I know... but it's homemade and delicious!; a spanakopita variation in phyllo cups; cheese board)
Salad: Baby greens with pomegranate vinaigrette garnished with sliced oranges and pomegranate seeds
Sides included sour cream mashed potatoes, broccoli with roasted red peppers and red onions. (No haricot verts left in the store, so I went with the broccoli, which was fine)
Desserts: Profiteroles with vanilla ice cream and chocolate ganache; Floating Islands; Greek cookies; store-bought chocolate truffles and candies.
Coffee: Sumatra blend decaf (from Whole Foods... it's really good)
Thanks for all your help, suggestions, and input.

Tags
None