Indonesian Beef Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Recipes Make Magic

Senior Cook
Authentic Indonesian Beef Satay and It's Spicy Peanut Sauce

Just so you know, I got this recipe from the chef of the Tanglin Club In Singapore sometime in early 1977 after bugging him for several weeks to get it. I had to modify it a wee bit when we got back to Canada because I'd jotted everything down so quickly I couldn't totally read some of my own handwriting.

Of all my time in south-east Asia enjoying all the exotic foods I had there, I have to say this satay was the highlight of everything new that I tasted, and my most favorite dish of them all. My family & I spent many a Saturday or Sunday afternoon sitting around the club's pool having a superb brunch, lunch or early dinner of beef satay - we ( my then wife and I, and our young son & daughter) couldn't get enough of it. The kids loved it !

You have to try this - have it anytime with a group of family & friends while you happily grill, and everyone will love you for it - the taste is definitely something you won't forget about, I can assure you !

Here it is:
( A large enough recipe to feed anywhere from 4 or 5, up to 8-10 persons depending on the hunger levels).

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 to 2 lbs. of beef steak (in Singapore I believe they usually used flank, skirt, or chuck steak, but now I prefer to use strip loin, or sirloin), cut into strips approx. 3"-4" long x 1" or so wide X 1/8" - 1/4" thick - got it?

Mix well together the following in a large casserole baking dish, to which you will later add the meat slivers mixed in, and marinate covered in fridge for a minimum of 4 to 8 hours, but preferably overnite for at least 12 hours, occasionally stirring to mix.

- 3/4 cup of peanut oil or canola oil

-1/2 cup of tamari sauce (japanese soy sauce, thicker & less salty than chinese soy sauce- or alternatively, ketjap manis sauce )

- Juice of 1 lime and it's zest

- 2 T's (Tbspns) of fish sauce - any brand

- 3-4 finely diced garlic cloves

- 1 medium finely diced shallot

- 2 stalks of fresh lemon grass - white bottom parts only, bruised a bit with the handle of a large kitchen knife, and finely chopped

- 1 - 2"piece of fresh galangal root, peeled & finely chopped ( or equivalent in dried / powdered galangal).
(If this is not available at an asian market near you, substitute with fresh ginger root)

- 1 T of brown sugar

- 1 tspn. each of:

- curry powder
- cumin
- turmeric
- coriander -
- cayenne

For Skewering & grilling you'll need approx. 12-20 longish bamboo skewers soaked in water for at least 1/2 hour beforehand. The beef slivers should be loosely skewered in a ribbon - S-shaped manner to expose as much meat as possible to the well heated bbq grates, and grilled for 3-4 minutes each side until fairly well seared.

SPICY PEANUT SAUCE

Serve kebabs immediately after grilling with this spicy peanut sauce for dipping:

Mix well together in a suitably-sized saucepan the following:

- 1/3 - 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (natural unsalted if available)

- 1/3 cup coconut milk

- 1 T lime juice

- 1 T fish sauce

- 1 T canola or peanut oil

- 1 tspn. of sriracha (chili-garlic sauce)

- 1/2 tspn. of sesame oil

- 1/4 cup finely diced shallot

- 1 tspn. finely minced garlic

- 1 tspn. minced fresh ginger root

- 1 tspn. finely chopped lemon grass

- 1 tspn. brown sugar

- Add some water if need be to get a suitable consistency. (Or more peanut butter if it's a bit too thin/runny)

Bring to a boil, lower heat & simmer for about 5 minutes, then cool for dipping the satay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom