"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Tim, this is how I used to do it at the hotel - In your roasting pan, get a good sear on all sides of the roast.

Place it in a 450 F. oven for 15-20 min. (for a home-size roast, probably go for about 10 min.) turn the oven down to ~375 and roast until a temperature probe reads 134 F. (for your preference of medium). Let roast sit loosely covered with foil for 10 min. The residual heat will bring the meat up to the 'doneness' you want. Then slice and taste and go to heaven!!

Before searing, be sure to rub lots of Kosher salt and pepper on it. Cooking in or on salt was a technique we did in the 70s (?) and it went out of style almost as fast - not the best way (in my opinion) to do a wonderful cut of beef.

Have fun and good luck.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

But my question is...

If you go to a restaurant and get some of their "Steamship Round" roast beef, it is tender and delicious. But if I buy a Top Round roast at the local market, I can't make it tender. I'm just glad I have my own teeth!

Am I suffering from wishful thinking,or can a Top Round roast be cooked at home so that it's like the wonderful stuff you get at restauraants?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Greybeard thanks for posting.

The Steamship roast is, as I understand it, generally a whole round, which is something no one anyone would cook except for a kazillion people.

Every so often we go to watch horses run counter clockwise around an oval and take a table in a restaurant, actually a fairly nice one, with a buffet that often has one of those.

The outside meat is well, the inside is what I would call medium rare (usually I like rarer than that, but it is OK). And it is faor;u tender - more tender than I am used to round being.

I have wondered how they cook it like that also. Hope someone who knows will be along.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
And it is faor;u tender - more tender than I am used to round being.
Exactly my point! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
I have wondered how they cook it like that also. Hope someone who knows will be along.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I used this recipe for a small prime rib I cooked Xmas, came out great. Was a little too rare in center for me but I probably should have used a heavy pan too cook it in. The center reheated for leftovers was still great just putting in microwave.

Let meat get to room tempature first

Prime Rib

Cover prime rib with olive oil. Press on garlic pepper/kosher salt seasoning (the kind with big chunks of salt, very coarse pepper) (Or use the McCormick Montréal Pepper blend)

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Yes, that's right, 500 degrees.

When it's HOT HOT HOT, put the uncovered roast inside. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN even once during the entire process.

Leave the oven turned on for 8 minutes per pound of roast (minimum of 40 minutes). Then shut the oven off and leave it in there for a TOTAL of 2 hours (combined HOT time and REST time)

Take it out and cover it with tin foil. Leave it rest on the counter for 15 minutes before cutting. It will be perfectly dark pink in the center, juicy and flavorful.

During the time that the oven is turned on, you will hear sizzling and popping and smoke may even come out of the oven. Do not let this alarm you. Shut the kitchen door and keep the smoke alarm in the house from going insane.

The smell will drive you crazy, but you must resist the temptation to open the oven and peek. The reason this method works is because the initial high heat seers in the juices. The outside of your roast will be crispy and delicious. The inside will be tender and just plain good
Old 01-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Now I am curious on how it is done. The only time we can or will get prime rib is for the holidays.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I have seen the salt roasting method for fish, but I have never seen it for roast beef. You basically mix salt, water and some egg white and use that to encase the fish. The fish does not come out salty at all as the salt casing is discarded before eating.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I've always used Delia's recipe for roast beef and it's 'spot on' every time.

Search recipes from Delia Online
Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
Head Chef

The trick is get your meat ready and have a HOT oven. 350-375F. Start the meat at that temp. After 1/2 hour turn it down to 225 to finish. If you don't "get the meat started" with the hot oven, you take the chance of cooking the moisture out before it gets done. The hot oven sears the outside locking the moisture in.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Searing does not lock in moisture. All searing does is create flavor.

Tags
None