Is it even worth TRYING to cook this roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherie.m

Assistant Cook
a couple months ago i bought a large beef roast (i think its a round roast), and i cut it into 2 pieces. froze one, and prepared the other. the one i prepared was fairly tough to begin with. now, i have recently found the other half of this roast in my freezer, with quite a bit of frost on it. i thawed it out in my fridge, but do you think there is any way to salvage this roast? should i even try to cook it, or would it be a waste of ingredients? does anyone have a recipe for a tough cut of beef, that makes it more edible? if you could share, that would be great!! thanks so much.
:huh:

Hi, cherie.m. First, welcome to DC.

As for your roast, I think I'd cook it. As you mentioned, the first piece was tough, which means the one you just discovered has the potential to be tough. In that case, you might want to cook it in your crock-pot. That should yield a tender meal.

Grind it up and use it for meatloaf or chopped steaks. Add a little sausage to the meatloaf or lay bacon over the top. Wrap the chopped steaks with bacon like a filet.

I agree with Constance...grind it. Or...throw it in the pressure cooker with an inch of water and some seasoning, cook for an hour and then decide what is is.

I'd cut it up and put it in the pressure cooker. Once it's done you can make anything out of it, shredded beef tacos, bbq sandwiches, beef gravy over noodles etc

I agree with Katie and Callisto as well. If it were me, I'd put it in the crockpot on a nest of quartered potatoes and carrots and onion. Then, I dump a can of cream of mushroom soup on it, and sprinkle an envelope of dried onion soup on top of that. Cook for 8-10 hours. I don't often use this type of shortcut, but this situation is ideal for it.

I have been dying to try this one, cherie!

Crockpot Cider Pot Roast.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 lean beef roast, about 4 pounds (top round, rump roast, etc.)
  • 2 medium onions, each cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or 12 to 18 small white onions, peeled
  • 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
  • 2 tablespoons molasses (light)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
  • salt
  • chopped fresh parsley
PREPARATION:

Brown beef on all sides in oil. Meanwhile, in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion wedges or small white onions, celery and garlic; sprinkle with allspice, ginger, and pepper.

Combine the cider and molasses. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour in cider mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 11 hours, until roast is very tender.
Lift roast to a warm platter and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid, if necessary; then blend in cornstarch mixture. Increase heat to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 more times, until sauce is thickened (about 15 to 25 minutes longer). Season to taste with salt.
Slice beef accross the grain and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon some of the sauce over meat; sprinkle with parsley.

Brown it first in hot fat seasoned with onions and garlic, remove it and caramelize some carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, and celery. Deglaze the pan with a bit of wine. Put the meat back in and fill the pot/pan with stock halfway up. Finish it in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours.

I have been dying to try this one, cherie!

Crockpot Cider Pot Roast.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 lean beef roast, about 4 pounds (top round, rump roast, etc.)
  • 2 medium onions, each cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or 12 to 18 small white onions, peeled
  • 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
  • 2 tablespoons molasses (light)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
  • salt
  • chopped fresh parsley
PREPARATION:

Brown beef on all sides in oil. Meanwhile, in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion wedges or small white onions, celery and garlic; sprinkle with allspice, ginger, and pepper.

Combine the cider and molasses. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour in cider mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 11 hours, until roast is very tender.
Lift roast to a warm platter and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid, if necessary; then blend in cornstarch mixture. Increase heat to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 more times, until sauce is thickened (about 15 to 25 minutes longer). Season to taste with salt.
Slice beef accross the grain and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon some of the sauce over meat; sprinkle with parsley.

That sounds wonderful. Wish I had a hunk of beef so I could try it.

Bottom round and round roasts are not the best cuts for tenderness, although the taste is good.
I just bought a buy one/get one free yesterday at Winn Dixie and alway do when they are on sale.
They are good cuts for long-term cooking like everyone has said.
But what I do is use them for minute steaks of chicken fried steak.
One is in my freezer whole, but the other I put in the freezer just to firm up, then remove, trim it and cut thin "steaks" out of it, pound the he*l out of each piece, wrap and freeze.

My SIL gave me a recipe that is TNT in our house. I large onion quartered, two large tomatoes or one can of whole tomatoes with liquid, salt, pepper, garlic. Cover roast with water and slow cook until fork tender. You can eat it as a roast or shread it and put it in tacos or even add a can of prepared enchilada sauce and put it in tamales. It's a really versitile way to cook a roast for multiple uses.

Back
Top Bottom