"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

Is it just me...

Isit just me, or has meat lost must of its rich flavor? Beef, Pork, chicken. at least from the shoppping chans, just down't have much flavor anymore. I used to buy beef from a placde called "Iowa Meat Farms Outlet, in San Diego, andEl Cajon. The beef was corn-fed Iowa beef, and was both tender, and had a rich, beefy flavor. The same was true of the other meats that they sold as well. I wonder if it's because the animals are pasture grased, and grass fed, often times never tasting grain. I believe corn-finished bef has a richer, flavor, as do hogs, and poultry. Maybe my tongue is getting too old, though things like liver, and offal in general still taste the same to me. Lamb is great, as is venison, and ruffed grouse still tastes a bit gamey. But that's ok as I enjoy the gamey flavor.

So what do you all think? Is massmarket meat less flavorful than it was 30 years back?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I had the meat grinder to my KA mixer. I used to buy a 7 bone piece of meat. The cheapest piece there is but the tastiest one. It was what I always ground up for my hamburger. (I saved the bone for beef stew.) And it is always tasty. Unfortunately for me, The KA became to cumbersome and difficult to use. So I had to give it to Spike.

Today, I just don't eat hamburger anymore. I refuse to buy what is in the meat department already ground. Spike's godfather was a meat cutter for Stop and Shop and when he told me about some of the things that went on in that back room I stopped buying pre-ground beef.

You are right Chief. The flavor has gone out of the meat. I used to love pork chops. Not now. It has absolutely no flavor. It is like eating the sawdust that is on the floor in the back room of the meat department.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I agree with you, for sure, and one problem you don't mention, that is happening with pork and chicken (I haven't seen it in other meats, but I'm sure it will happen, eventually) is "water added". It's hard to find those in some stores, that hasn't been brined.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That would explain why meat is seldom very tasty from restos, nowadays. I buy almost only locally produced meat from smallish farms and it tends to be tasty.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I agree with you, for sure, and one problem you don't mention, that is happening with pork and chicken (I haven't seen it in other meats, but I'm sure it will happen, eventually) is "water added". It's hard to find those in some stores, that hasn't been brined.
That water is added to increase the weight. Specially with the chickens. I have noticed whole chickens sitting in the meat counters with water in the container that has leaked out of the chicken. I prefer to buy just the legs and thighs. Less water in those. And I am not an eater of white meat of any fowl. Too bland for me.

I hate shopping for meat. It is such a hassle now-a-days. Oddly enough, I go for the beef that is Manager's Specials. A lot of time they are on the last day of "Sell By" date. And when I see the meat is darker, I know most of the juices has be reabsorbed back into the meat. Tastier.

They don't remove the original wrapper, just put a new wrapper over it, and then slap a new and different sticker on it.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

Most mass-market supermarket meat has a pretty low WOW factor for me.

These days I eat much less but more expensive meat and fill in with a few meatless or low meat meals to make up the difference.

It reminds me more of the pattern that my mother used when we were kids. A great Sunday dinner followed by a couple of scrappy meals then a bright spot mid-week followed by a couple more scrappy meals and before you knew it the week was over and it was time for another great Sunday dinner.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I too have noticed a loss of flavor in meats..
I have attributed it to my aging but, I'm not certain that is correct..

Ross
Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

That's aging like a fine steak, right Ross?

Chief, I agree. Especially with beef. Most of the time, the meat I'm using is mixed with so many other flavors it doesn't matter if the flavor is a bit less prominent. But when it comes to a steak, I like heading to a local butcher who raises his own cattle. His pork is pretty good, too, since he has a friend who raises hogs. But steak? It has to be flavorful. Any steak from my butcher Rick is worth twice the price of what he charges. Just don't tell him I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
When it comes to mass grocery store chicken, I have found out that Price Chopper does not add water to its boneless-skinless breasts. I would think that would be true of their thighs, too. The label clearly states that it can retain up to something like 1 1/2% water. However, most other stores labels state "up to 15% sodium solution to enhance moisture". Um, I know that means you're charging me $2/lb for water, ya know?

The tiny, one-off store in the next town sells pork tenderloin in cryovac sleeves that is "minimally processed - no added ingredients". The name is "Today's Cut" and is sold by Pine Ridge Farms in Des Moines, IA.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That water is added to increase the weight. Specially with the chickens.
No, the brine is added to help the meat stay juicy, especially if it's overcooked. It's no different from brining it at home.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry to say this, Chief, but flavor perception does dull as people age. There could also be some nostalgia associated with memories of meals from years ago that affect perception.

Tags
None