ISO a good chili recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really have a recipe, but I do use Penzey's chili powder. And I 'bloom' the chili powder in the oil before I add the ground beef. Be careful not to burn it--just heat it until it becomes fragrant.

I have recently become extremely intimidated by the word, chili. I had made what I thought was a decent pot of chili and offered to send some home with a friend. He looked me in the eye and asked, "Is it Ohio chili or New Mexico chili?"

:shock:

I have a lot to learn. Give me a couple of years to come up with a recipe.

Jessica, go to this link. ICS | International Chili Society

If you click on the winner's name, you'll get the winning recipe in most cases.

A buddy and I entered one of those ICS cook-offs back in the early 90s at the Circus Circus in Las Vegas. We did it on a whim and ended up in the top 5. I don't recall how many entries there were total, but it was in the hundreds. We got a check for $500 I believe. It must have been just plain dumb luck because we entered the following year and got absolutely nothing.

They have some very strict rules in those competitions. Beans or any kind of pasta will get you disqualified. Entries are pretty much all made with meat, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. And there were some entries that didn't even have tomato products, which seems a little weird to me, but I guess is kind of a traditional way of making it.

Once entries are turned in, you're allowed to walk around to the different booths and try samples. Some of those chilis are hot beyond belief. But the hottest ones never win, I'm told. What surprised me is how very similar some of the top chilis were. I mean, if you were to put on a blindfold, it would be hard to tell some of them apart. So, as I said, I think some of the winners win just by sheer luck.

I use the standard Pinto, ground beef (I like to use venison if available) onions (sweet like vidalia), garlic, tomatoes (I use home canned), I used chili powder and a combination of cayenne and Texas Pete to get the heat right. About 1 cup (depending on how thirsty I am) beer. All in a crock pot to marry the flavors. At the end I add Macaroni or Penne (whatever I have in pantry). Here is where you can adjust how much liquid you want. That being said, I always under cook the pasta by a minimum of 50% to allow it to absorb the "chili liquid". If you have excess water, don't even cook it just allow about 1 hour minimum after you add the pasta to allow it to cook completely. Another little twist is either Arugula or Spinach (depending on what is in the fridge). I like Arugula for the slight bite.

I don't really have a recipe, but I do use Penzey's chili powder. And I 'bloom' the chili powder in the oil before I add the ground beef. Be careful not to burn it--just heat it until it becomes fragrant.

I never knew to do this. I will try it next time!

I posted two recipes here on DC recently. But I'll cut and paste them here for you. One is hot, just in case you like hot. The other is mild. I call them "Better, and Best". If you like your chili hot, then the hot recipe is best. If you like your chili mild, then the mild chili is best. Why, you ask, is the other one called better? Because in my home town, it's better than the rest.:LOL: Just kidding. It is good chili though, no matter which one you choose to use. Lots of flavor.:D

[FONT=&quot]Chief’s’ Really Good Chili For Ordinary Mortals[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is a great chili Recipe, full of flavor, with almost no chili fire.

This chili is possible the best chili I've ever made. This isn't "screaming, blow your taste buds off" chili. Anyone who enjoys a good bowl of red will be able to tickle their taste buds with this bowl of goodness. Enjoy.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:
2 Poblano Peppers
2 Anaheim Chilies
2 Jalapeno Chilies
2 orange bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tbs. ground cumin
3 tbs. ground coriander
3 tbs. smoked paprika
2 15 oz. cans pinto beans
2 15 oz. cans black beans
2 15 oz. cans kidney beans
1 number 10 can pinto beans
4 yellow onions, chopped
1/2 gallon quartered, canned tomatoes
3 lbs. coarse grind beef
2 lbs. Cudaghi sausage, removed from the casing.

Combine the meats together, and mix in the spices. Brown in a very large pan (this is going to make 3 gallons of chili), over medium-high heat. While the meat is browning, chop all of the peppers. Add the peppers and onions to the meat and cook for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring every few minutes to prevent scorching the chili. Turn heat to simmer and let cook for thirty minutes. Add water to thin to desired consistency.

As with my hot chili, Texans would still argue that this isn't real chili. All I can say is that it's as good as the hot chili, but as the title suggests, more for ordinary mortals. You don't need Superman's tongue to eat this one. The only warning I give with this recipe; make lots, 'cause everyone is gonna want more.
C:\Users\BDFLOW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Chili-Head Chili 2013 – HOT![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is a great chili Recipe, full of flavor, with enough fire to burn ice.

This chili is possible the best chili I've ever made. This isn't screaming, blow your taste buds off chili. But it’s hot enough to make the teardrops dance in the corner of your eyes. Best of all, it’s just mild enough to let you taste all of many flavor layers packed into this scrumptious chili. Enjoy.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
6 Buhk Jalokea Peppers (ghost peppers), minced
6 Naga-Viper Peppers, minced
9 oz. Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
6 oz. Tabasco Habenaro Pepper Sauce
1 4 oz can chipotle peppers, minced
2 Poblano Peppers
2 Anaheim Chilies
2 Jalapeno Chilies
2 orange bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
1/4 cup chili powder
[FONT=&quot]1 tbs. Cayenne Pepper
3 tbs. ground cumin
3 tbs. ground coriander
3 tbs. smoked paprika
2 15 oz. cans pinto beans
2 15 oz. cans black beans
2 15 oz. cans kidney beans
1 number 10 can pinto beans
4 yellow onions, chopped
1/2 gallon quartered, canned tomatoes
3 lbs. coarse grind beef
2 lbs. Cudaghi sausage, removed from the casing.

Combine the meats together, and mix in the spices. Brown in a very large pan (this is going to make 3 gallons of chili), over medium-high heat. While the meat is browning, chop all of the peppers. Add the peppers and onions to the meat and cook for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring every few minutes to prevent scorching the chili. Turn heat to simmer and let cook for thirty minutes. Add water to thin to desired consistency.

Beware! Do not sneeze and let this chili go up your nose. Do not accidentally let it go down the wrong hole. You will not like either of those conditions.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I never knew to do this. I will try it next time!
I almost always do that when using any kind of hot pepper, no matter what the dish. I think it makes a really nice difference in the flavour. If it isn't done, I seem to be able to taste a "raw" flavour.

I almost always do that when using any kind of hot pepper, no matter what the dish. I think it makes a really nice difference in the flavour. If it isn't done, I seem to be able to taste a "raw" flavour.

Indian recipes call for this method, too. I often add spices (not herbs) to the veg with any recipe that calls for sautéing them before adding other ingredients.

If you have 100 chefs then you'll get 101 chili recipes.

It's all about what you like.

Want to stir up a hornets nest? Ask the bean or no bean question. ;)

Take a basic recipe you like and tweek it to "your" taste. It doesn't get any better then that. :chef:

Experiment and enjoy.

Take a basic recipe you like and tweek it to "your" taste. It doesn't get any better then that. :chef:

Experiment and enjoy.

+2...

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Experiment and enjoy.
And take notes.

Back
Top Bottom