"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Advice: How come I can't grill a steak?

First time poster, here. I've been reading these forums for a little while and really like what I have seen so far.

On to my question:

Everytime I grill any type of steak or beef roast (medium-medium rare), I get a very chewy purple center when I would like it to be more of a soft pink or red center. What am I doing wrong here? If I keep it on too long it just drys out. Should I be grilling at a lower temperature longer? I've got some friends coming over for dinner and I am grilling a nice beef tenderloin and would like it to come out better. I'm also ISO any simple ideas for grilling tenderloin if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Welcome, Rob.

I'm not much of a griller, but there are plenty of grillmeisters who will be able to give you a solution to your dilemma.

In the meantime, welcome to DC. Please stay around and enjoy everything all our members and our site has to offer.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
How thick are your cuts? If you're cooking very thick steaks, or very thin steaks for that matter, that will affect how you should approach cooking them.

As for the tenderloin, is it whole or is it trimmed into filet mignon? If it's whole, and untrimmed, I would reccommend trimming it, but save the scraps (except the silverskin) and grind it later to make some incredibly tasty burgers.

Season with S+P only, and pair it with your favorite sauce.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Usually I'm cooking slightly thicker cuts. So for a whole (soon to be trimmed) tenderloin, would it be good to cook on a lower heat for longer? Will I get a good crusting on the outside at a lower heat? Sear first?

What's a good temp to pull it off? Last time I took it off of the heat at 120 and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRob

Usually I'm cooking slightly thicker cuts. So for a whole (soon to be trimmed) tenderloin, would it be good to cook on a lower heat for longer? Will I get a good crusting on the outside at a lower heat? Sear first?

What's a good temp to pull it off? Last time I took it off of the heat at 120 and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
Trim fat on the top and bottem if it looks a little too much, but don't trim it all as a good deal of the taste can be attributed to fat content. In short, if your're eating steak, cook it right and go back to a more sane diet tomorrow.

Your thick steaks - cook under HIGH to a 125 degree center, pull, and let rest 10 minutes. Can't miss. Disclamer, the previous info from a restauranteer/cooking school in Naples. It works for me with 2" prime beef.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Curious, what size is your tenderloin ? A 4 lb one I would, rub with olive oil, season and grill on med.-hi,searing all 4 sides, total time 15-20 mins. for med.rare, let rest 10 mins. with a tent of foil.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Are you pulling the meat out of the fridge and slapping it right on a grill immediately? If so then that is part of your problem.

You need to take the meat out and let it warm up a bit. For a thick cut, I would let it sit out as long as an hour before putting it on the heat.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRob

A whole tenderloin is a roast, not a steak. A combination of temperatures is the best solution.

Start off high to sear the exterior and give you a good crust. Then turn down the heat to about 400F and cook over indirect heat until the internal temperature is where you want it.

For medium to medium-rare, the internal temperature should be around 130F when you take it off. It will continue to cook for a bit as it rests for 20 minutes.

Tags
None