ISO Advice on Cooking Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
hey guys...got a 2lb piece of briskett. was told its very good if you put it in a pan, with button shrroms, potatos, beef/onion powderd soup mix, and cover it 3/4 of the way with red wine and some water.

easy enough...but i forgot to ask what temp and time length.

any ideas? i was thinkin low and slow...maybe 250 for 3 hours??

sear that puppy first. then add all your nice others. Check it occasionally for fall-apartness.

sorry to be so technical, but yes low and slow is the way to go.

You've described a braise and that's just what you need for a brisket.

Cook it covered on the stove top at a simmer for around three hours. In the oven at 300F-350F for the same time. It's done when a fork goes in with little resistance.

thanks guys!! also..there is a 2-3 mm layer of fat on once side...should i leave that?

i figured i would, and do it fat side up so it melts in ala boston butt... is that correct?

Mugsy27 - I LoL'd with Andy M.'s response.

I always leave the fat on when cooking (but on top). I will sometimes also cool off the result once cooked (in fridge or freezer) to have the fat become more solid and scoop it away.

If in a rush, you can also use "special strainer/measure cup" that has the pour spout at the bottom (fat rises so you can have a quicker seperation of broth vs. fat availible back into the meal prep). These measure cups are normally easy to find.

For something with a "fat cap" I normally trim to around 1/3 inch or less, but make sure the resulting fat is not part of the meal. The benefits of leaving some of the fat in the cooking process is added flavor , especially when you have root vegitables to absorb the flavor, and the resistance to the meat drying.

Of course, that is just my personal opinion.

Casper

Back
Top Bottom