ISO advice w/canned corned beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adrianxw

Assistant Cook
I am English but live in Denmark. A shop opened a while back, I think they are Lebanese, selling things absent from the boring supermarkets we have here. One item I found in there was corned beef, rectangular cans which you open with a "key". In England, this stuff is a common item found in every supermarket, but here, absent. So I bought some. Now, I want to try to recreate a dish I used to eat as a kid, but want to just run it by the folk here to be sure I am not doing anything stupid. It is a kind of shephards pie, with the corned beef at the bottom and mashed potatoes on the top.
The corned beef is already cooked, so just cut it into small cubes, no preparation needed really.
Lightly fry an onion and a chopped garlic clove.
Mix the corned beef with the onion and garlic in an oven proof dish.
Sprinkle some salt and pepper, and thyme, (we have loads of it growing in the garden), over the other stuff.
Beef stock cube in some boiling water to wet, but not flood these things.
Cook the potatoe and mash them. I found out how to do this with a web search.
Stir some grated cheddar into the mash and put it over the other stuff in the dish.
Put it in the oven.
The oven is electric and has numerous "operating modes" the majority of which I have never used. My question really comes down to the oven temperature and the length of time it should be in there.
So, how hot for how long? Is there anything I should or shouldn't do?

That grills the assembled "pie", I'm quite sure the stuff I had as a kid was done in the oven.
We also have some carrots, I can chop or grate these into the mix as well if it goes.

Here's one I found using the canned corned beef as an ingredient in cottage pie.

Corned beef shepherd's pie recipe - All recipes UK

That grills the assembled "pie", I'm quite sure the stuff I had as a kid was done in the oven.
We also have some carrots, I can chop or grate these into the mix as well if it goes.

Everything is already cooked. It's just put under the "grill" (we call it the broiler) just to melt and brown the top.

I cannot stand the stuff. My memories of canned corned beef hash is what I mean.
Don't know if I ever had just canned corn beef.
I can assure you I would hate it. LOL

Canned corn beef

Since all your ingredients are already cooked. What you need from the oven is a warmup and perhaps a minor melting of the cheese.

I'd use 350 degrees for around 30 minutes or so depending on the thickness or better yet use a thermometer and cook to around 170 degrees.

I'm so glad that some don't ever have to eat what they prefer not to, but some folks actually DO like those things, and have favorite comfort food recipes which require those items to be what they are supposed to be. I make a few dishes that many would probably sneer at - I don't really care, because I make them the way I like them.

I used to take Spam sandwiches to work - Spam, Miracle Whip, sweet pickle relish, and lettuce (I added the relish just before eating or they'd get hopelessly soggy :rolleyes: ). Never had canned corned beef, but I have had canned CB hash and didn't mind it at all. Anyone like me who packed a lunch for work for 40 years finds quite a few portable foods that some people would reject.

I learned growing up during the 50's in a family with very little disposable income that ether you learn to like what's in front of you or you spend a lot of time hungry. I was rarely hungry. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
When in doubt, I use 350° F for 30 minutes in the oven. It seems to work for just about everything. Check after that to see if it's hot enough for you.

I loved canned corned beef hash as a kid. And I was a VERY picky eater!

Last edited:
Mom bought canned corned beef when I was a kid. I used to slice it and make sandwiches with it. Of course it's not as good as real corned beef but it was OK.

Thats about 180C then. I'll try this.
Corned beef was an item that occured often when I was a kid, (1960's), I'd not seen it for decades... well... I probably had, but it went under the radar, it was the new shop in Snekkersten that bought it back to my attention. It may well be horrible, but at least I will then know.
Kayelle: I am a guy. I moderated a computer programming forum for a decade and am well used to the behaviour of "people like that", thanks, but I don't really need protecting, I'd roast them.

I have not used canned corned beef in years because the price has increased to the point where it is not a good value for me.

I used to use the canned corned beef to make hash. A can or corned beef, an equal amount of boiled potatoes, a little minced onion and or green bell pepper, salt and pepper to taste, bacon grease, fry low and slow until the bottom develops a crust, turn with a spatula and mash down continue frying until a new bottom crust is formed, serve with ketchup and an egg or two.

For sandwiches. Mash the corned beef, add minced onion, sweet pickle relish, enough mayonnaise to bind the mixture together. This mixture can be eaten on a cold roll or stuff the roll, add a slice of cheese, wrap in aluminum foil and place in a hot oven until the cheese has a chance to melt. You could also do it on bread in a CI pan, similar to a tuna melt.

A skillet meal with ribbons of fresh cabbage, chunks of canned corned beef. Add a little water to the skillet, cover and steam until the cabbage is tender, remove lid and cook until the water has evaporated and the mixture starts to fry. You can also do this with a can of drained sauerkraut.

Put chunks of canned corned beef in a cream sauce with some frozen peas and cook until the meat and peas are heated through, serve over boiled or baked potatoes.

Oh, back to the original question. I would heat it at 350-375F for 30 - 40 minutes.

Last edited:
When in doubt, I use 350° F for 30 minutes in the oven. It seems to work for just about everything. Check after that to see if it's hot enough for you.

I loved canned corned beef hash as a kid. And I was a VERY picky eater!

I used to love Broadcast brand CB hash. But it isn't available any more.

I used to love Broadcast brand CB hash. But it isn't available any more.

About every six months or so I purchase a can of Mary Kitchen Roast Beef Hash. I get it as a snack with a poached egg on top for those late night munchies.

Grant you, canned goods are not to everyone's liking, but why knock it if you haven't tried it. Not every single meal or snack can be strictly from scratch.

I like Mary Kitchen CB Hash. Tastes pretty good with a couple of poached eggs on it. I've made my own but I don't cook CB often enough to satisfy my hash needs.

I grew up on Mary Kitchen cb hash, but my late husband didn't like it so I never bought it. My kids spent the night with my parents, and my youngest said he never wanted to go there again because Grandpa tried to feed them dog food.:ermm:
When you think about it, it looks just like what we fed our dogs. :LOL:

Thats about 180C then. I'll try this.
Corned beef was an item that occured often when I was a kid, (1960's), I'd not seen it for decades... well... I probably had, but it went under the radar, it was the new shop in Snekkersten that bought it back to my attention. It may well be horrible, but at least I will then know.
Kayelle: I am a guy. I moderated a computer programming forum for a decade and am well used to the behaviour of "people like that", thanks, but I don't really need protecting, I'd roast them.

Adrian, You almost made me spit out a mouthful of cottage cheese while trying not to laugh. I have no doubt that you can take care of yourself on an internet forum. I'll bet a nickle you roasted your share at the programming forum. I wish I had seen you in action.

Let me know how the recipe turns out.

Back
Top Bottom