ISO advice w/canned corned beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK I have to chime in here, as Corned Beef, and Corned beef hash, were kind of central to my survival as a graduate student.

So there is, obviously, a difference between corned beef and corned beef hash. The first is just the meat, the second is meat plus some potatoes, usually spiced. Dinty More, Mary Kitchen, and Hormel there are a number of brands.

I like corned beef hash for breakfast. Make a pancake of it, with a hole in the middle, and put an egg or two in.

RB thanks for your defense of this food. we all have our comfort foods, and our convenience foods.

I'm at heart a New England guy, I spend a couple years out in Oklahoma, and learned a little bit about Southern cooking. One of the things I lost was my preconceptions, learned more about SPAM than I like, but good info alltogether. Also cooking possum.

We all sometimes have some time with less money than we want. I think sharing recipes and strategies to deal with that is important. I do know I would have starved to death in grad school if I couldn't get a flat of Hornel Corned Beef Hash. It was my major protein, at a time I was living on a $30 month food budget.

There are many strategies to make corned beef hash taste good. I promise.

TBS

Seems to me that some people find the time to comment on other posters taking the time to comment on related but not actually on topic subjects. Which o course is not on topic.

Looking through the thread, about half the comments are related to the topic but not actually on topic. I find this fairly typical of forums everywhere.

I don't know what the problem is.

The problem is that we all have something to share. And of course going off subject is the norm for this forum.

adrianxw: Just tip that has nothing to do with canned corn beef ( I can find this is several Swedish store.) If you can get to Malmö or Göteborg Sweden, there is The English shop ( google it) and you might more stuff you love.

I'm at heart a New England guy, I spend a couple years out in Oklahoma, and learned a little bit about Southern cooking. One of the things I lost was my preconceptions, learned more about SPAM than I like, but good info alltogether. Also cooking possum.TBS

Oklahoma seems an odd place to learn Southern cooking. Transplants maybe? I never knew Spam was widely used in the cuisine.

Now, back on topic.

My first husband loved canned corn beef. During the war, if it wasn't canned corn beef, it was Spam. Both plentifully supplied by the American soldiers. So I started buying it for him. You open the can with a key and have to be very careful that it doesn't spring back on you. (Lesson learned) He would heat the slices up in a sauté pan and have it with eggs.

Oklahoma seems an odd place to learn Southern cooking. Transplants maybe? I never knew Spam was widely used in the cuisine.

Tulsa is known for its aviation. Air Force seems to like spam, spam sandwiches, spam casseroles.

yup, I was in Tulsa. Lets call it Ozark cooking? You are right it isn't strictly southern cuisine. Actually picked up some cooking tricks from the Tribes.

Now, back on topic.

My first husband loved canned corn beef. During the war, if it wasn't canned corn beef, it was Spam. Both plentifully supplied by the American soldiers. So I started buying it for him. You open the can with a key and have to be very careful that it doesn't spring back on you. (Lesson learned) He would heat the slices up in a sauté pan and have it with eggs.

Corned beef slices with eggs, and toast? Both that or spam. My granddad was a WWII veteran, he would very carefully make that every morning.

Tulsa is known for its aviation. Air Force seems to like spam, spam sandwiches, spam casseroles.

yup, I was in Tulsa. Lets call it Ozark cooking? You are right it isn't strictly southern cuisine. Actually picked up some cooking tricks from the Tribes.

Such as? I am part Native American and am entitled to the settlement checks tribal members receive every month. I never applied because the only thing I have ever done that could be considered Native American was to open a can of corn.

[/B]

Such as? I am part Native American and am entitled to the settlement checks tribal members receive every month. I never applied because the only thing I have ever done that could be considered Native American was to open a can of corn.

Sorry Addie...but do you ever review what you post before you hit submit? :blink:

I have not used canned corned beef in years because the price has increased to the point where it is not a good value for me.

I used to use the canned corned beef to make hash. A can or corned beef, an equal amount of boiled potatoes, a little minced onion and or green bell pepper, salt and pepper to taste, bacon grease, fry low and slow until the bottom develops a crust, turn with a spatula and mash down continue frying until a new bottom crust is formed, serve with ketchup and an egg or two.

For sandwiches. Mash the corned beef, add minced onion, sweet pickle relish, enough mayonnaise to bind the mixture together. This mixture can be eaten on a cold roll or stuff the roll, add a slice of cheese, wrap in aluminum foil and place in a hot oven until the cheese has a chance to melt. You could also do it on bread in a CI pan, similar to a tuna melt.

A skillet meal with ribbons of fresh cabbage, chunks of canned corned beef. Add a little water to the skillet, cover and steam until the cabbage is tender, remove lid and cook until the water has evaporated and the mixture starts to fry. You can also do this with a can of drained sauerkraut.

Put chunks of canned corned beef in a cream sauce with some frozen peas and cook until the meat and peas are heated through, serve over boiled or baked potatoes.

Oh, back to the original question. I would heat it at 350-375F for 30 - 40 minutes.

This. ^ Adding a couple of cans to my shopping list to keep on hand in the pantry. :)

Those of you who shop at H-Mart, they have Ox & Palm Corned Beef from Australia. It is very good and has texture, chunky!

I see the thread has rambled off in numerous directions, however, to briefly return to its subject, the "pie" was quite sucessful. I will be doing that again. I also tried a corned beef hash last night, also fine. Those of you who do not like corned beef can, of course, ignore this, nobody is forcing you to try it.

Mom used to make Corned Beef Hash. I had no idea you could buy it already made. The only brand I've ever seen (and this is from back when I used to fight with my little brother to get the "key") is Hereford Brand Corned Beef/Boeuf Sale, a Product of Brazil.

I've always kept a can in the pantry but obviously I wasn't able to reproduce my mother's technique, which was fantastic - however, no one in my house would ever eat it... sigh

But reading all those recipes again... have to try it over, perhaps I will have been able to improve it with age! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I see the thread has rambled off in numerous directions...
Really? Hadn't noticed...since it happens ALL the time around here! You have been warned. ;) Also, welcome to our slightly dysfunctional family. Please do stay-and-play.

...Those of you who do not like corned beef can, of course, ignore this, nobody is forcing you to try it.
I actually enjoyed it as a child. It was often for sandwiches during my grade school days. Haven't had it for ages. Thanks to your inquiry, I just might grab a can and try your version of cottage pie. Won't Himself be surprised. :whistling:

I'm so glad that some don't ever have to eat what they prefer not to, but some folks actually DO like those things, and have favorite comfort food recipes which require those items to be what they are supposed to be...
Hear, hear. ~~ Please, unless someone is actually inviting you to their home to share this "undesirable food" with you, there is no real need to slam it.

Last edited:
I see the thread has rambled off in numerous directions, however, to briefly return to its subject, the "pie" was quite sucessful. I will be doing that again. I also tried a corned beef hash last night, also fine. Those of you who do not like corned beef can, of course, ignore this, nobody is forcing you to try it.

I'm glad your shepherd's pie with canned corned beef turned out well. Something similar that was served in our school cafeterias was the same pie, except it had corned beef hash, and cream of mushroom soup stirred together before the mashed potatoes were piled on top. You could also top the corned beef hash and mushroom soup mixture with shredded hash brown potatoes. A can of whole kernel sweet corn also mixes in well with the mashed potatoes.

Classic canned corn beef sandwich - slices of canned corn beef, strong (aged) Swiss cheese slices, a bit of spicy mustard and horseradish, all on rye and toasted on a griddle like a grilled cheese sandwich. If you like, you could add a dill pickle.

Another is corned beef and sour kraut on rye with thousand island dressing, a Ruben sandwich, also grilled.

And Addie, I'm a lot native American, and a lot German, with a smattering of other ethnic identities. The only thing I try to use them for is to show that I'm the same person no matter which nationality you try to call me. To be frank, I am a child of my creator's. That's all anyone need know. And culinarily, I've learned from every people, from every place in the world I've had the opportunity to see. And I am still learning.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom