ISO - Angus Chuck Roast cooking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey buckster, is this the pot roast recipe you posted?
umm, no. sorry lefse. it's close but not exactly. my mom's recipe is very plain., i sorta wouldn't call it a recipe. just a coupla techniques for a braised roast.
i will post it today, tho.

and rofl, jeekinz! i think you just made i.c.fall off his surfboard!

Well, I went with Katie E's mushroom soup combo, just because I had that on hand. I used carmelized sliced onions and some sage. Due to the cooking time, 2.25 hrs, it will be tonights dinner.

I spread the soup on top of the meat, which I think was a mistake. I should have put the soup in first, then the meat on top so the juices would blend well for the gravy. Simple fix. The DW will be making her famous garlic/onion mashed apatoes.

Well, I went with Katie E's mushroom soup combo, just because I had that on hand. I used carmelized sliced onions and some sage. Due to the cooking time, 2.25 hrs, it will be tonights dinner.

I spread the soup on top of the meat, which I think was a mistake. I should have put the soup in first, then the meat on top so the juices would blend well for the gravy. Simple fix. The DW will be making her famous garlic/onion mashed apatoes.

I actually made the same thing last night! I didn’t have anything else planned, and talking about it made me want it. I sued the basic recipe, but used Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic. I spread it over the top as usual and poured on the Onion Soup mix. Sealed it tight and baked it in the water bath for about 2.25 hours.

As always, it was incredibly tender and juicy. Did you have a problem with the gravy? When I do this recipe, the soup melts down and over the meat and collects all around it. I cut open the top of the foil pack, lift out the meat, and there is a puddle of gravy left.

Using caramelized onions sounds pretty good! How did it taste.....or have you not opened the foil pack yet?

The roast was actually a pretty large one...I think 2# or so. Some of the soup just stayed on top of the meat but there is alot of gravy around it. The flavor was nice, just needed some more seasoning. I'm going to scrape all of the soup/gravy together, mix, and reheat in the oven. I think the dried soup mix adds the salt needed for flavor. Mine was a tad bland, but tasty.

I also had to use two sheets of foil. One for the top and one for the bottom.

I always use two sheets too. I lay them out in a cross pattern and put the roast in the middle. The onion soup mix does add a lot of flavor. In that other thread, some said the whole package might be too salty, but I always use the whole pack....but I don’t add any other seasonings (except maybe a little pepper).

I made Guinness pot roast last night, and it was a big hit. Chuck roast, a chopped onion, clove of garlic, some Penzeys' Bonne Herbes (chive, dill, basil, tarragon, pepper), salt and bottle of Guinness Draft, in the oven covered at 250 for about 6 hours.

I did brown the roast and the onions first. I made it the night before, let the pan juices sit in the fridge until the fat congealed, removed it and made a roux with the fat and some flour, stirred in the rest of the liquid for a sinfully good gravy. If you wanted to be more healthy, just thicken the defatted juice with cornstarch or flour.

I made Guinness pot roast last night, and it was a big hit. Chuck roast, a chopped onion, clove of garlic, some Penzeys' Bonne Herbes (chive, dill, basil, tarragon, pepper), salt and bottle of Guinness Draft, in the oven covered at 250 for about 6 hours.

I did brown the roast and the onions first. I made it the night before, let the pan juices sit in the fridge until the fat congealed, removed it and made a roux with the fat and some flour, stirred in the rest of the liquid for a sinfully good gravy. If you wanted to be more healthy, just thicken the defatted juice with cornstarch or flour.

and the hits just keep on coming---this sounds excellent!

Jeff, I'm going to try your recipie, too. I just want to make sure I have all the ingredients first.

Had the roast for dinner last night and it came out excellent. The meat was just firm enough to cut with a knife and super tender.

Thanks to all for the help and ideas!

Here's a fast and easy way to prep it--and it makes it's own gravy at the same time.

Take the roast, put a little olive oil in the bottom of the pan. Take flour mix in salt and pepper and press the meat into the flour on both sides, shake off the excess. Sear the roast on both sides in the olive oil. Deglaze with a little wine(I prefer red for this). You could also just use water if you're out. Drop in potatoes, carrots, onions (or leeks, etc) what ever veggies you like.

Here is the fun part--get a can of tomato Bisque soup(i.e. Campbells). Mix it up with a can of water and pour it over the meat and veggies. Pop it into a 350 degree oven with a lid on it and let it cook until the veggies are tender.

When it's done you have a nice roast with a tomato gravy..... It works great with swiss steak too...

Did all of the above except the veggies. I also marinated the pot roast in cabernet with some garlic and thyme sprigs. I told the checkout lady about your recipie - lol. Came out great, you could cut it with a fork. Thanks for sharing, Jeff.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom