"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
And for Amy, Fisher's Mom, Katie E., and Jeekinz, some green garlic foam to top it off.
He'd put foam on anything!

"Yeah...gimme a Big Mac meal...Coke, and a coupla packets of McFoam."

Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
hey buckster, is this the pot roast recipe you posted?
umm, no. sorry lefse. it's close but not exactly. my mom's recipe is very plain., i sorta wouldn't call it a recipe. just a coupla techniques for a braised roast.
i will post it today, tho.

and rofl, jeekinz! i think you just made i.c.fall off his surfboard!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Well, I went with Katie E's mushroom soup combo, just because I had that on hand. I used carmelized sliced onions and some sage. Due to the cooking time, 2.25 hrs, it will be tonights dinner.

I spread the soup on top of the meat, which I think was a mistake. I should have put the soup in first, then the meat on top so the juices would blend well for the gravy. Simple fix. The DW will be making her famous garlic/onion mashed apatoes.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Well, I went with Katie E's mushroom soup combo, just because I had that on hand. I used carmelized sliced onions and some sage. Due to the cooking time, 2.25 hrs, it will be tonights dinner.

I spread the soup on top of the meat, which I think was a mistake. I should have put the soup in first, then the meat on top so the juices would blend well for the gravy. Simple fix. The DW will be making her famous garlic/onion mashed apatoes.
I actually made the same thing last night! I didnít have anything else planned, and talking about it made me want it. I sued the basic recipe, but used Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic. I spread it over the top as usual and poured on the Onion Soup mix. Sealed it tight and baked it in the water bath for about 2.25 hours.

As always, it was incredibly tender and juicy. Did you have a problem with the gravy? When I do this recipe, the soup melts down and over the meat and collects all around it. I cut open the top of the foil pack, lift out the meat, and there is a puddle of gravy left.

Using caramelized onions sounds pretty good! How did it taste.....or have you not opened the foil pack yet?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #25
Executive Chef

The roast was actually a pretty large one...I think 2# or so. Some of the soup just stayed on top of the meat but there is alot of gravy around it. The flavor was nice, just needed some more seasoning. I'm going to scrape all of the soup/gravy together, mix, and reheat in the oven. I think the dried soup mix adds the salt needed for flavor. Mine was a tad bland, but tasty.

I also had to use two sheets of foil. One for the top and one for the bottom.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I always use two sheets too. I lay them out in a cross pattern and put the roast in the middle. The onion soup mix does add a lot of flavor. In that other thread, some said the whole package might be too salty, but I always use the whole pack....but I don’t add any other seasonings (except maybe a little pepper).
Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #27
Head Chef

I made Guinness pot roast last night, and it was a big hit. Chuck roast, a chopped onion, clove of garlic, some Penzeys' Bonne Herbes (chive, dill, basil, tarragon, pepper), salt and bottle of Guinness Draft, in the oven covered at 250 for about 6 hours.

I did brown the roast and the onions first. I made it the night before, let the pan juices sit in the fridge until the fat congealed, removed it and made a roux with the fat and some flour, stirred in the rest of the liquid for a sinfully good gravy. If you wanted to be more healthy, just thicken the defatted juice with cornstarch or flour.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Wow, that sounds good, too.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I made Guinness pot roast last night, and it was a big hit. Chuck roast, a chopped onion, clove of garlic, some Penzeys' Bonne Herbes (chive, dill, basil, tarragon, pepper), salt and bottle of Guinness Draft, in the oven covered at 250 for about 6 hours.

I did brown the roast and the onions first. I made it the night before, let the pan juices sit in the fridge until the fat congealed, removed it and made a roux with the fat and some flour, stirred in the rest of the liquid for a sinfully good gravy. If you wanted to be more healthy, just thicken the defatted juice with cornstarch or flour.

and the hits just keep on coming---this sounds excellent!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Jeff, I'm going to try your recipie, too. I just want to make sure I have all the ingredients first.

Tags
None