ISO - Angus Chuck Roast cooking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Looked yummy on the shelf. Was thinking about stuffing it with some garlic, rosemary and thyme, truss and roast.

Any other ideas?:chef:

how about making and herb flour to rub on the meat, sear it in evoo and butter on all sides, put in crock pot with a bottle of red wine, a few sprigs of thyme and some onions/carrots/celery, let it cook until falling apart. blend veggies into remaining liquid to make gravy.

or, since fall's coming, how about a sauerbraten?

The herb flour....use fresh or dried? I presume this will creat a crust of some sort or just thicken the liquid?

Then what, serve like a stew?

Cheaper roast cuts, such as a chuck roast, are too tough to roast in the oven and end up being pot roasts that are braised.

Higher quality cuts, such as a standing rib roast, are dry cooked in a roasting pan in the oven.

How your roast is cooked depends on the cut.

Here's a fast and easy way to prep it--and it makes it's own gravy at the same time.

Take the roast, put a little olive oil in the bottom of the pan. Take flour mix in salt and pepper and press the meat into the flour on both sides, shake off the excess. Sear the roast on both sides in the olive oil. Deglaze with a little wine(I prefer red for this). You could also just use water if you're out. Drop in potatoes, carrots, onions (or leeks, etc) what ever veggies you like.

Here is the fun part--get a can of tomato Bisque soup(i.e. Campbells). Mix it up with a can of water and pour it over the meat and veggies. Pop it into a 350 degree oven with a lid on it and let it cook until the veggies are tender.

When it's done you have a nice roast with a tomato gravy..... It works great with swiss steak too...

Season with salt and pepper and sear it. Put it into a slowcooker or dutch oven with some veggies, wine and beef broth, some thyme or rosemary and simmer for 3-4 hours or until the roast is fork tender.

Have you ever tried Katie E’s foil roast method. I’ve made it three or more times so far, and it’s fabulous. It doesn't shred and fall apart like other braising techniques, and is instead sliced (very easily sliced at that). The meat holds together and is incredibly tender and juicy. It doesn’t dry out, is fork tender, and makes its own gravy. It’s super simple too.

The more I think about it, the more I think I’ll be making this again in the next day or so! :)

i'm back. you can use fresh (chopped) or dried herbs in the flour mix, with s&p. like jeff said, press ointo meat, then sear on all sides. i like a butter/evoo mix.

then, pop into the slow cooker, and add veggies. whole veggies, if you want to eat them "seperately", or diced, if you'd like to blend them into the gravy to help thicken it and add some flavor at the end.
add enough liquid, maybe red wine or beef stock, to come up to about 1/3rd of the meat.

Of course, you could make goulash, chili, boeuf bourguignon as well.

or slice it thin and make steak sandwiches with onions and peppers...a little swiss cheese....ooh, that sounds good. OK, now I know where I am going for lunch.....

Yeah...not really in the goulash mood yet. The other two I made recently. Bucky's, Katies and Jeff's look good so far. I need to broaden my horizons.:LOL:

I would braise it with a standard mire poix and combination of veal stock, port wine, and red wine, then serve it with a parsnip and horseradish puree.

And for Amy, Fisher's Mom, Katie E., and Jeekinz, some green garlic foam to top it off.

how about making and herb flour to rub on the meat, sear it in evoo and butter on all sides, put in crock pot with a bottle of red wine, a few sprigs of thyme and some onions/carrots/celery, let it cook until falling apart. blend veggies into remaining liquid to make gravy.

or, since fall's coming, how about a sauerbraten?

hey buckster, is this the pot roast recipe you posted?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom