ISO Beef Brasciole Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Help to all my Italian friends! Son #1 has asked for this for Sunday dinner; thought I had a recipe, but can't find it!:ermm:

I had some at a restaurant in Cambridge, Mass, years ago; don't know if it was the 'traditional' one or not; from what I can remember it was stuffed with prosciutto, maybe fontina and seasoned bread crumbs, and the sauce was a garlicky white winte sauce. Delicious! I have a few recipes that show it served with a red sauce, but wondered if anyone knows the wine sauce version TIA!

sorry marm, i've only had them in red sauce. and no prosciutto either, just a beef scallopini (i prefer pork btw), sprinkled with grated cheese and herbs, a little evoo, then tied up and either grilled or browned, and finished in the red sauce.

i would think a standard butter, cream, white wine and garlic sauce would work tho.

I make mine the same way as Bucky. The meat becomes so tender when cooked for a couple hours in the red sauce.

i love them that way ambuh. :)
they're usually made from slightly tougher and more flavorful cuts of meat, so cooking in sauce for a long time is the trick.

btw marm, if you're searching, it's spelled brasciole, with a "c".

I make mine in red sauce too- beef scallopini too rolled with sometimes-provolone or fontina in the middle with bread crumbs and sometimes finely chopped pignolis.If I am making sauce from scratch I don't even brown it first I just set it in when the sauce gets hot and let it simmer for the duration.(Hope I didn't offend any of my paesans here calling sauce sauce instead of gravy!!!)

don't worry vicki, it's really sugo di pomodoro. or tomato sauce, or red gravy, it's all the same.
hmm, ya got any? :)

i think our paisano will understand.

Always have a container or two in the freezer-my grandmother's recipe give or take a few things;)

tx for the spelling correction, Bucky! I knew I was off a little!

I'm sure the 'white wine sauce' was just this particular restaurant's 'take' on the dish, but boy, it was good!

licia, you can use thin slices of meat, but i've found that pounding out larger pieces to make the scallopini tenderizes it, imo better than just slicing.

Okay, found this, and probably will use the sauce technique as a jumping off point - awesome site, BTW - italianfood.about.com

Beef Braised in a White Wine Sauce -- Bue Stufato in Salsa al Vino Bianco

Take 4 1/2 pounds (2 k) of well aged beef (rump roast would be a good bet here), bone it and remove any gristle it may have, pound it to tenderize it, and put it in a pot with a quarter pound (100 g) of fat and an equal amount of lard (you could reduce these amounts substantially; I'd be tempted to use just a bit of kidney fat and some cured lard), 2 onions, a bit of parsley, and a clove of garlic, all minced. Sauté the meat over a low flame, sprinkling it with water, and stir in a tablespoon of flour. Then add two glasses of water and two more of dry white wine (Arneis, a Piemontese white, would be nice here), salt, pepper, spices to taste -- a slight dusting of nutmeg, for example -- cover, and simmer at the barest of boils for about four hours. When the meat is tender and the sauce is reduced, cut the meat across the grain, transfer it to a platter, and season it with the sauce, after degreasing it and blending it.

I see this topic just now. I essentially know two recipes with something of what you have considered, but none of them is exactly yours.
The first is "cotolette alla bolognese". Cotoletta is what you probably know as wienerschnitzel. There is an ancient war between Milano and Wien for the origin of this dish. If someone of you is interested in, I can tell you in a second time. By now, it's only necessary to know that you can do a normal "cotoletta", cover it with prosciutto and a slice of cheese, generally fontina, and leave them stuff covered for a couple of minutes.
The second is "arrostini annegati" Roasted drowned chops.
You pass in flour the chops, then in butter with some parsley and rosemarin, and some little cubes of prosciutto, and toast them. Then cover them with white wine, and let wine evaporate, gently boiling. Very tender....

Last edited:
I made mine the same way Bucky does. We have access to a ethnic grocery store and I buy "brioccole" - labelled as such - there. I usually roll, tie and plop in gravy for hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom