"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Looks spot on IF I can do at least some of the prep ahead. Budget will cover since I really only do this one party a year so I try to "do it up right."
Great, hope everyone enjoys it!

Old 09-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
Master Chef

The problem I have with most beef dishes served in buffets is that they continue to cook and usually become tough and dry, even when immersed in hot liquid. The only time this hasn't been true, in my experience, is when the beef is either sliced fresh from a whole roast, such as standing rib or inside round (steamship round), or when it's served fresh such as in the afore mentioned beef bourgundy.

I served beef at my daughter's wedding and barbecued two very large inside rounds. While one was being sliced, the other was held in a warm oven (170' F.) until it too was ready to searve. That way, everyone got moist and tender beef of great flavor. Also, if you can keep your chafing dish or steam table at a holding temp. of 145 to 150, the meat will stay fresher.

I know that our local health department requires us to hold cooked foods at 145 at the chili cookoff every year. That is considered safe.

Another elegent dish to serve at a buffet is a roulladen made with a flat cut such as a flank or skirt steak jellyrolled with mushrooms and bread dressing, and secured with butcher string, then baked to 150' internal temp and served with mushroom gravy. That always goes over well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Wow that's a lot of food for main dishes. What side or appys are you serving? What type of party is it? You mentioned buffet, so I'd make it a finger food meat/appy dish. New Year's Eve faire is usually cocktails and appys, unless it's a sit-down. Also, 11:00 AM or PM? Don't think folks want to eat heavy late or close to lunchtime.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Cris made a lovely beef dish a couple of times. He took a chunk of lean beef cut (I think it was circa 1kg), pressure cooked it to the point it got so tender it just flaked out with a gentle poking of a fork.
So we proceeded to flake the whole thing, then tossed it generously with "salsa verde", which is made of smashed garlic, tons of minced flat leaved parsley and EVOO. It was one of the most delicious beef concoctions I ever had, and I believe this one is quite suitable for buffet, as it is good either warm or at room temp. Also good as a canape topping with various crackers and bread slices.
If you are interested, I will ask Cristiano for the details of this recipe!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Prime Rib. Everyone likes prime rib.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #16
Hospitality Queen

urmaniac - I'd love to see that recipe!!!

ironchef - excellent suggestion

chopstix - yum on the idea of making a stew

goodweed - do you have the rouladen recipe to share? If so, any suggestions for mushroom replacement? (not a big fan) Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
Master Chef

You can make a truly elegant surf & turf rouladden by making the following dressing.

Ingredients; 10 oz. clam juice
4 oz. lump crab meat, or fresh or canned
4 oz. pre-cooked, tail removed coctail shrimp
4 oz. minced scallops, cooked
1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
1/2 cup cooked black or wild rice
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kikoman-Lite Soy Sauce
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325.
Cook the rice until done. Add the remaining ingredients and heat until the clam juice is absorbed. Place a skirt or flank steak on your working surface and spread with the filling mixture. Carefully jelly-roll the meat and secure with butcher's twine. Sprinkle with Salt and pepper. Place in an oiled roasting pan and cover. Place into the hot oven and cook for about 45 minutes. Remove the cover, and turn on the broiler. Brown the meat under the broiler to your liking. test for an internal temp. of 145 with a meat thermometer. Serve with steamed asparugus spears, or artichoke and drawn butter.

Hope you like this one Jkath.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oops, a thought just came to me. Don't add the clam juice to the stuffing. Instead, use it, along with the meat drippings, to thin a roux into a creamy seafood/beef veloute sauce to serve over the sliced rouladden.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None