ISO beef dish for buffet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XeniA

Sous Chef
(Should be honest enough to say New Year's eve buffet!)

Anyhow, traditionally do a New Year's eve buffet for +/- 20 people. As tradition here would have it, it's always a lot of food, with representation from a number of categories. In terms of meat I usually do a chicken dish, a pork dish, a beef dish, and a seafood dish.

But I always find the beef ideas hard to come up with, and this year the ideas are running almost dry. Who could help?

Again, buffet service, time of meal about 11:00.

I'd serve a roast--probably tenderloin.
And thank you for showing me how to do a +/- I love to use that and have never been able to on the net!!!

Gretchen said:
And thank you for showing me how to do a +/- I love to use that and have never been able to on the net!!!
Um, gosh, you're welcome!

Ayrton, I love serving beef stews at gatherings. They're rich and hearty and can be made a day ahead. It actually tastes better the next day. Service is so easy! Just reheat and place in an attractive container.

I have two TNT recipes that I've gotten rave reviews for. Both are Spanish: Ox tongue in brown sauce with green olives and mushrooms, and Ox tail stewed with roasted bell peppers, ham, chorizo and garbanzos. Tell me if you're interested! (You can sub beef shanks with the Ox tail if you like...)

Ayrton said:
Looks spot on IF I can do at least some of the prep ahead. Budget will cover since I really only do this one party a year so I try to "do it up right."

Great, hope everyone enjoys it!

The problem I have with most beef dishes served in buffets is that they continue to cook and usually become tough and dry, even when immersed in hot liquid. The only time this hasn't been true, in my experience, is when the beef is either sliced fresh from a whole roast, such as standing rib or inside round (steamship round), or when it's served fresh such as in the afore mentioned beef bourgundy.

I served beef at my daughter's wedding and barbecued two very large inside rounds. While one was being sliced, the other was held in a warm oven (170' F.) until it too was ready to searve. That way, everyone got moist and tender beef of great flavor. Also, if you can keep your chafing dish or steam table at a holding temp. of 145 to 150, the meat will stay fresher.

I know that our local health department requires us to hold cooked foods at 145 at the chili cookoff every year. That is considered safe.

Another elegent dish to serve at a buffet is a roulladen made with a flat cut such as a flank or skirt steak jellyrolled with mushrooms and bread dressing, and secured with butcher string, then baked to 150' internal temp and served with mushroom gravy. That always goes over well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow that's a lot of food for main dishes. What side or appys are you serving? What type of party is it? You mentioned buffet, so I'd make it a finger food meat/appy dish. New Year's Eve faire is usually cocktails and appys, unless it's a sit-down. Also, 11:00 AM or PM? Don't think folks want to eat heavy late or close to lunchtime.

Last edited:
Cris made a lovely beef dish a couple of times. He took a chunk of lean beef cut (I think it was circa 1kg), pressure cooked it to the point it got so tender it just flaked out with a gentle poking of a fork.
So we proceeded to flake the whole thing, then tossed it generously with "salsa verde", which is made of smashed garlic, tons of minced flat leaved parsley and EVOO. It was one of the most delicious beef concoctions I ever had, and I believe this one is quite suitable for buffet, as it is good either warm or at room temp. Also good as a canape topping with various crackers and bread slices.
If you are interested, I will ask Cristiano for the details of this recipe!

urmaniac - I'd love to see that recipe!!!

ironchef - excellent suggestion

chopstix - yum on the idea of making a stew

goodweed - do you have the rouladen recipe to share? If so, any suggestions for mushroom replacement? (not a big fan) Thanks!

You can make a truly elegant surf & turf rouladden by making the following dressing.

Ingredients; 10 oz. clam juice
4 oz. lump crab meat, or fresh or canned
4 oz. pre-cooked, tail removed coctail shrimp
4 oz. minced scallops, cooked
1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
1/2 cup cooked black or wild rice
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kikoman-Lite Soy Sauce
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325.
Cook the rice until done. Add the remaining ingredients and heat until the clam juice is absorbed. Place a skirt or flank steak on your working surface and spread with the filling mixture. Carefully jelly-roll the meat and secure with butcher's twine. Sprinkle with Salt and pepper. Place in an oiled roasting pan and cover. Place into the hot oven and cook for about 45 minutes. Remove the cover, and turn on the broiler. Brown the meat under the broiler to your liking. test for an internal temp. of 145 with a meat thermometer. Serve with steamed asparugus spears, or artichoke and drawn butter.

Hope you like this one Jkath.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oops, a thought just came to me. Don't add the clam juice to the stuffing. Instead, use it, along with the meat drippings, to thin a roux into a creamy seafood/beef veloute sauce to serve over the sliced rouladden.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom