ISO Beef Stock Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I started a beef stock last night using about eight pounds of beef shanks, split and cut into two inch pieces, and about four pounds of split beef feet. This is my first time using the feet. After slowly simmering for about 14 hours I was amazed to find quite a lot of gelatinous material still attached. I am tempted to start another batch using the same bones and then combining and reducing the two batches. I've seen this subject discussed before, and I think there is a French word for the process that roughly translates to reboil the bones. I can't remember the word and googling reboil bones doesn't help. Any experience with this out there?

I have never tried this, but it is an interesting idea. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some tried and true advice.

:) Barbara

Katie E said:
Did you brown the bones in the oven before you began to cook the stock, skillet? I always do that. It gives the stock a great flavor.
Yep. About 45 minutes at 425F. This was more bones than I'm used to and could have gone longer.

I think the term you're looking for is "remoulliage", or something similar.

14 hours is an awfully short time for beef stock. I usually cook mine for between 24 and 36 hours, usually 36. Just cook the stock until all the collagen (cartiliage and other connective tissues) have broken down and dissolved into the stock. Keep in mind that "Elastin" - based connective tissues WILL NOT break down. Off the top of my head, the only connective tissue made from elastin is the backstrap, but I know there's one more.

AllenOK said:
I think the term you're looking for is "remoulliage", or something similar.

14 hours is an awfully short time for beef stock. I usually cook mine for between 24 and 36 hours, usually 36. Just cook the stock until all the collagen (cartiliage and other connective tissues) have broken down and dissolved into the stock. Keep in mind that "Elastin" - based connective tissues WILL NOT break down. Off the top of my head, the only connective tissue made from elastin is the backstrap, but I know there's one more.
Remouillage
Thanks Allen! I put the bones in the ice box and maybe tomorrow morning I will start another batch. I have learned from previous experiments that you can thicken water until the bones turn to powder. You always get a thick viscous liquid but eventually, if it has any flavor at all, it's a bad one.l

AllenOK said:
Keep in mind that "Elastin" - based connective tissues WILL NOT break down. Off the top of my head, the only connective tissue made from elastin is the backstrap, but I know there's one more.
Well I had to look up backstrap and elastin. Is elastin what that silverskin stuff on a loin or gizzard is made of?

skilletlicker said:
Well I had to look up backstrap and elastin. Is elastin what that silverskin stuff on a loin or gizzard is made of?

I'll have to pull out my textbook and check. First, I have to find my textbook. Hopefully later today; I have the day off.

Heck Allen, it probably would work.

But why not give it a try?

If all you are doing is adding water and heating the stuff, it is a cheap experiment.

Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom