ISO - Best meatloaf recipe you know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ode to Pepperoni Pizza Meatloaf

I, personally, do not like meatloaf. I, also, cannot eat pepperoni-they eat me:wacko: My DH's favorite foods are meatloaf and pepperoni pizza...soooo, I thought, why not create a new dish for his birthday! Here is what I came up with -He LOVED it...I left the edible factor up to him :chef: :

2 lb ground beef (we only eat organic beef so it is quite lean, substitute ground sirloin or buffalo)
1 lb ground pork (organic or at least without MSG)
2 cups whole grain bread crumbs (of course, homemade is best!-divided)
1 cup chopped, organic yellow onion
4 ounces organic, mozzarella cheese (either cubed or cut into logs)
7 ounces (1 pkg, divided-5 ounces chopped, 2 ounces sliced) Applegate Farms Uncured Pepperoni
1/2 cup organic tomato sauce
1/2 cup organic ketchup
2 eggs (preferably farm fresh!)
2 tbls evoo
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)

Mix 1 cup of the breadcrumbs with the 2 tbls evoo and pat into the bottom of a large bread loaf tin.

Mix the ground beef, pork, chopped pepperoni, onion, remaining cup of breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, eggs, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper until just combined...do not overmix, as this will result in a tough loaf! Pat 1/2 of the meat mixture onto the top of breadcrumb base. Line up, down the center of the meat mixture, the cubes (or logs) of mozzarella. Pat on the remaining meat mixture over top of the cheese, firmly to seal! Top with the ketchup and the remaining slices of pepperoni. Bake 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Rest at least ten minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

Warm regards,

Lori

Boy oh boy, don't you spoil your DH Lori. I'm jealous...

Looks really good. C&P'd thanks.

When making meatloaf or meat patties/balls I cook off the onions (til translucient) in the oil I'm adding. That way no chance of little hard bits.

Thanks Brooksy! Now, if only I could get my DH to REALIZE that he is spoiled;) Warm regards and continue to be,

Lori

Ok, I just couldn't resist any longer. This thread has been around forever. Here's my favorite meat-loaf recipe. It is taken from my cookbook "You Can Be A Great Cook With Beef". I share it with you because it's a fun and tasty meatloaf that will leave your guests impressed with your creativity and playful nature. Who says you can't play with food?:chef:

Mexican Volcano:
You'll wow the crowds, and give yourself some idea your own
artistic ability. The flavor is South of the Border. The theme
is fun. Award winning Balderson Aged Cheddar adds flavor to
the dish while Mozzarella creates visual effect.
Your family and friends will be amazed by your creativity, and the quality of the meat-loaf. In this recipe, we use bread crumbs to increase the volume while maintaining flavor and texture. Thus, you save money without sacrificing quality.
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bulk Chorizo (or Italian sausage)
1 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tbs. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh Jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup enchilada sauce, or salsa
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Balderson 2 year old Medium Cheddar Cheese
1 large egg

Preheat the oven to 375'- F. Remove the Chorizo from its
casing. Mix together the ground beef, Chorizo, chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, egg, Balderson Cheddar, and bread crumbs. Knead together until well mixed. Lightly grease a 12" square casserole dish and place the meat mixture into it.

Shape the mixture into a volcanic mountain with valleys and
cliffs. Show off your hidden artistic talents. Create a crater in the top suitable for about a 1/4 cup of sauce. Place the "volcano" into the oven, with a meat thermometer inserted to the center.

Cook for 45 minutes. Check the thermometer. When the
internal temperature reaches 175'- F., remove from the oven.
Pour the sauce into the crater, making sure that rivulets of
sauce run down the mountain sides. Place strands of Mozzarella
cheese shreds onto the rivulets and in the crater to mimic the
glowing hot lava. Place in the oven until the cheese melts
slightly.

Remove from the oven and place onto a serving
platter that has been covered with refried beens to resemble the forest floor. Litter some cilantro leaves to resemble bushes. Make trees with Broccoli flowerettes to finish the landscape. You can use black olives to represent rocks and boulders.

Serve with little men made from toothpicks and Vienna sausage and toothpicks (half covered by lava). Your kids will love it, and your guests will
gasp with delight. (Omit the little men if you want. That
might be a bit much).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom